we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

"We're one but we're not the same." :barf:

:angry:

Actually, I'm more inclined to take seriously some "schlub who posts on an Internet forum" than some poll by the editors and/or viewers of MTV, Rolling Stone, and whatnot. That includes you guys defending One. I'm far more interested in what the decent, articulate posters who like the song have to say than some list in the mass media.

In some cases, this would be true. But, god, One has been praised by some people I truly respect in the media, AND much of this forum. I'm interested to hear the negative opinions about it, but they don't (and, frankly, shouldn't) influence my own at all.

Of course, but it does give one reason why One today fucking sucks and why it needs a live rest - which, for better or worse, is always going to be a part of the discussion. I only raised it because it was already being mentioned, so I thought I'd address it.

I agree; it does need a live break. Not because it sucks, but because it simply needs a break. WOWY can join in. :wink:

gherman said:
If the song was never made into a single you would be freaking out in a thread saying "we f#@$*&g love one, and here's why." And how its sooooo wrong that it wasn't made into a single:huh:

YES. Seriously. No one's ever happy, are they...

I gave it a very appropriate 1/10 on U2rate. If 0/10 were available though, it would've received it!

And WTF, since when did it matter whether One was a single? Three of my top 5 U2 songs were singles and One Tree Hill hit #1 in New Zealand, for fuck's sake!

LemonMelon said:
But, god, One has been praised by some people I truly respect in the media, AND much of this forum.

While certain members of this forum whose opinion on music I take seriously like the song, I can't think of a single person in the media or music industry who I respect that has praised the song. Then again, most people in the media just write whatever drivel will sell to the masses and I outright ignore it, and the people I like in the music industry are rarely U2 fans.

i can't rate one, or anything since u2rate is a windows-only app
down.gif

Actually, One is a song that I didn't care for much at first and has slowly grown on me through the years.

I do believe it's a great song :up:

Especially with the live version extra verse live bit near the end. That and it has some personal meanings for a time in my life.

I actually really, really hate it (to me, it is absurd that Axver hates Ultraviolet more than One, even though I don't like Ultraviolet), but I'm not good at arguing and I think the basics have been covered here, no matter how many pro-Oners keep on saying "YOU HAVEN'T SAID 'WHY' YET" or such and such.

The Sad Punk said:
I actually really, really hate it (to me, it is absurd that Axver hates Ultraviolet more than One, even though I don't like Ultraviolet), but I'm not good at arguing and I think the basics have been covered here, no matter how many pro-Oners keep on saying "YOU HAVEN'T SAID 'WHY' YET" or such and such.

"Baby baby baby light my way" ad nauseum shits me more than "we're one but we're not the same".

And yeah, everybody has explained quite clearly why we don't like One - and we've covered all the aspects, from the lyrics to the instrumentation to the composition to the singing. Anybody who says we haven't said why either isn't reading or is so hyper-defensive that they cannot acknowledge opposing views.

To those who don't think we've said why yet, what would constitute a legitimate reason for disliking One? If you think there is none, then why are you even on a discussion forum, and especially why are you reading this thread? If you can't acknowledge other opinions as possessing legitimacy, even if you disagree with them, then there's no point having a conversation, now is there?

I can't agree about Ultraviolet. Its a solid U2 song, which for me means, in the world of songs, it's a great song. I like it more than most of Bomb, half of ATYCLB, much of Zooropa, etc.

Varitek said:
I can't agree about Ultraviolet. Its a solid U2 song, which for me means, in the world of songs, it's a great song. I like it more than most of Bomb, half of ATYCLB, much of Zooropa, etc.

Yeah, I agree with you. "Solid" isn't "great", but it does the job.

This is the most retarded topic ever discussed here. Here's how I break it down:

Situation: U2's "One" has been adopted by millions of casual music fans around the world.
Situation 2: U2 obsessives feel threatened that many casual fans like one of "their" band's songs so much.
Situation 3: Other songs on Achtung, Baby (favorite album of aforementioned U2-obsessives) are seldom played live.

Effect: U2 obsessives decide to blame "One" for their psychological inadequacies.

Result: U2 "fans" unite to put an end to their favorite band's most popular song.

Conclusion: Upon studying this situation, aliens decide we aren't civilized enough and decide to blow up the world.

What the fuck? Feel threatened? Psychological inadequacies? :huh:

I'm just hoping the last line there is indicative that the entire post is sarcasm.

Okay, here goes. There seem to be two arguments going here, and I’ll try to address them both.

The first: “One, as a song, sucks.”

Some background first: I like the song as it exists on AB. If I were ranking the songs from the album, One would be near the bottom, but I still like it. Don’t love it, but like it just fine. It might have something to do with the fact that I didn’t grow up as a U2 fan; I bought JT when I was 17 (I’m 25 now) but didn’t pay much attention until I saw them live in 2005 and I went through my “Must… buy… all… U2 albums… NOW,” phase. I didn’t grow up with the song and don’t have any great memories attached to it, and it rarely gets played on the radio where I live. I was barely conscious of it, so I don’t really hold it in as high regard as a lot of fans seem to.

Some people don’t like it because musically, it’s very simple. There’s really nothing going on with the rhythm section at all, and guitar-wise, I’d say it’s one of the least interesting things the Edge has done. Fair enough; that’s a good enough reason for disliking a song, if you ask me. On the other side of that, simplicity can be a beautiful thing, especially when you have great lyrics on top of that (RTSS, anyone?) Simplicity in a song is one of those things that will make you stop and really listen to what the singer has to say.

And that seems to be the reason why a lot of people hate the song: the lyrics. Clichéd, sappy, Diane-Warren-could-write-this-in-her-sleep tripe, right? Well… I wouldn’t go that far. The chorus? Yeah, I’m there with you. “We’re one, but we’re not the same?” Ugh. In any other song, I’d roll my eyes and change the station, but I don’t. Why? Because I think the verses are fantastic, and they save the rest of the song for me. And here’s where I’m at a loss for words, because I’m not good at explaining why text or poetry moves me, but I think the verses (and the bridge) are beautifully rendered and subtle and otherwise awesome. When people bash the lyrics, it’s always the chorus. That’s a deal-breaker for some; in my case, it isn’t.

Also, I love Bono’s delivery of the song. The raspy, almost detached opening, the falsetto at the end… all of it’s lovely and fitting, and when I hear people complain about One, the vocal is rarely listed as a reason for the song sucking. And that brings me to…

Reason #2: the live versions are uninspiring and tired.

On this point, I agree completely. Of all the songs in U2’s repertoire, this could most benefit from a rest (yes, more than Pride or WOWY or BTBS, even.) God knows I love Bono, but his speeches on the Vertigo tour before the song bored me to tears. I have a lot of bootlegs in my possession, and I always skip over One after my first listen. Even when I think it’s a good version, like on ZooTV and Popmart, I don’t bother. And why is that?

Plain and simple: the vocal. One of the best things about the studio version is the rasp in Bono’s voice, and he just can’t replicate that live. Hell, it’s the main reason I don’t care for live versions of In A Little While. But more than that, I feel like Bono’s half-assing the song when he sings it in concert. His phrasing is clipped, and half the time it doesn’t even feel like he’s singing -- he’s, for lack of a better term, “talking on pitch,” kind of like Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady, if anyone gets that reference. For the same reason, I hate post-2000 versions of WOWY; in its studio version, it’s one of the most perfect pieces of singing I’ve ever heard in modern music. Live (at least recently), Bono can’t be bothered to hold a note for more than half a second during the song.

Also for that reason, I actually like the Mary J. Blige version. She’s actually singing it and investing it with some urgency, and because she’s doing so, Bono follows suit when he otherwise doesn’t.

And I don’t think the casual fans would mutiny if it was dropped from the setlist occasionally. I’ve only seen U2 once and I was a casual fan at the time; I still knew all but two or three songs they played. And the songs that most blew me away were Until the End of the World and Bad, which I’d never heard until that night. I don’t think the lack of one particular hit is as big a deal as some people are making it out to be.

So, uh, yeah. I think the song itself is fine but not great, and the live versions blow.

You know what? I like One. I'm just sick to fucking death of it. Same with Beautiful Day. I actually get annoyed when I hear it on the radio. Plus it's just too damn happy. I'm sick of Pride too, and I know I'm not alone in that opinion, but unlike quite a number of people, I'm not sick yet of Bullet.

:drool: I never listen to radio.

Nor do I play songs over and over and over and over. I'm more of an album man.

So I can't relate to burnout. :happy:

One alone sure does a lot more for me than all prog rock of the world combined.

And yeah, I'm a massive music fan with a huge collection. So I know what I am talking about. And my opinion is THE FUCKING truth.

QED.

This is an ugly thread about a beautiful song.

However, I love all the ONE loving in thread that was supposed to be about hating a song.

ONE means a lot to a lot of people, even non- or casual U2 fans. It has a bitter, yet hopeful feeling and a spirituality about it that still gives me shivers, even during the worst live versions.

And I don't listen to hundreds of bootlegs or go to dozens of shows, maybe that's why the magic is still alive for me.

I agree that ithe song needs a rest and maybe some re-working, it has been played one too many times. But that doesn't mean that the song is bad by itself. For me, it's one of the greatest songs ever written.

Everyone here could start a thread about a song they hate or don't like ... what would this forum be coming to?

No, I don't hate "One". Simply it has always been one of the best tunes, U2 have ever written – and will ever write.
Following the legend, this tune even saved the band from splitting up, giving them back their confidence in song writing and being a unit. Since then it was performed always, starting from really great ZOO TV versions, really lame and sloppily played POPmart versions, some really nice ELEVATION ones and being the backround for the endless preaching on the VERTIGO tour – plus being "the" option for other stage appearances by Bono & Edge.
Hm, I wish, U2 could give this tendency a stop – with "One" being the all-time-ever classic, that has to be played every night, that has to be connected every time with a whatever-we-want-to-talk-about-campaign, that has to be near/in the encores.
"One" should definetly get a break, as WOWY, on tour being played only from time to time – and then not in the middle/end of the gig. And maybe an acoustic arrangement, like in Hamburg '93 (without violin) or more intensity like in Modena '95 (without orchestra) might do some justice ...

65980 said:
This is the most retarded topic ever discussed here. Here's how I break it down:

Situation: U2's "One" has been adopted by millions of casual music fans around the world.
Situation 2: U2 obsessives feel threatened that many casual fans like one of "their" band's songs so much.
Situation 3: Other songs on Achtung, Baby (favorite album of aforementioned U2-obsessives) are seldom played live.

Effect: U2 obsessives decide to blame "One" for their psychological inadequacies.

Result: U2 "fans" unite to put an end to their favorite band's most popular song.

Conclusion: Upon studying this situation, aliens decide we aren't civilized enough and decide to blow up the world.

I hated One before I was much of a U2 fan.

One hasn't sounded good live since ZooTV. I still enjoy listening to most versions from that tour, but I don't play it much at all now. In fact I probably skip it more times than TTTYAATW when i've got AB on.

Edge's new guitar intro made it slightly different on the last tour...but it was spoilt by Bono's bleating.

The studio version is a very good song, but is not one of the best 5 on Achtung baby in my opinion, it worked nicely on Zoo Tv live with the buffalo footage and deserved to be played every night, but since then it has been played to death and needs to be rested, perhaps being played every other or third night. I don't hate the song at all, though it wouldn't get in my U2 top 20. Like Sunday bloody sunday, pride, bullet and with or without you it needs to be played sparingly, they have many other songs from their repatoire that could fit into the setlist just as nicely as One.

last unicorn said:
This is an ugly thread about a beautiful song.

Yeah, how dare we have different tastes to you. That's so ugly. :|

Everyone here could start a thread about a song they hate or don't like ... what would this forum be coming to?

What would it be coming to? A true discussion forum where different opinions meet.

LemonMelon said:
:drool: I never listen to radio.

Nor do I play songs over and over and over and over. I'm more of an album man.

So I can't relate to burnout. :happy:
I only listen to the radio when I cook. My family completely ignores me when I cook (and I'm cooking for them, ungrateful bitches :grumpy: ) and I'm isolated all alone in the kitchen with nothing but a radio to keep me company.

Unfortunately, the best station in my crappy city likes to throw shit like Nickelback inbetween all of the Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd :scream:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom