we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
Did you know that Axver was rais(ed) and subsequently rea(red) on an Ass Farm?

You're never going to get tired of that, are you, New South Wales?

Incidentally, all of New South Wales is one big Ass Farm. Or Arse Farm. I suspect you mean the latter. Either way, maybe I should just call you that in future. :wink:

Axver said:

Incidentally, all of New South Wales is one big Ass Farm. Or Arse Farm. I'm not sure which you mean. Either way, maybe I should just call you that in future. :wink:

I will get tired of it, but, not for a while, I suspect. :)

I cannot say enough how happy it makes me when you, or COBL start calling me New South Wales.

gabrielvox said:
Alicia is good tho...btw....what the fuck is Ashanti think she's doing standing and smiling up herself beside Whitney and Alicia at the Grammy's? She needs to check herself, that's wayyyy out of her league :lol:

:lol: I watched the grammys but missed that. Don't know much about Ashanti but I thought Alicia was pretty good with the Sinatra opening thing.

Zootlesque said:

I think I agree with you again, man! Despite finding Celine Dion's voice pretty annoying sometimes, I do like the Titanic song. A huge reason being James Horner's exceptional score. And Whitney's Greatest Love Of All is just classic! Childhood memories from the 80s listening to that song. :love:

James Horner's soundtrack is absolutely fabulous and I love it. I also was once a 11 year old girl who liked several Celine Dion songs, but now when I listen to Titanic I do so without that track.

No spoken words said:
I cannot say enough how happy it makes me when you, or COBL start calling me New South Wales.

If you'd ever been to New South Wales, you might not be so happy. :wink:

VIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QLD > NSW

Unfortunately, I haven't been to any other states and none of the territories.

gabrielvox said:
I'd just like to reiterate that I think My Heart Will Go On, as sung by Celine Dion, is one of the great pop love masterpieces of the last 50 years of music. Yes I do.

I think that also of "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and "Greatest Love of All" too, so that likely explains that...
Takes all sorts to make a world... :wink:

As for the lyric debate, didn't Bono say he was bemused by people using "One" as a wedding song, when the lyrics were not happy-wedding-related?

And as for the song itself, it got U2 into drag. One can debate whether this a good or bad thing.....

:D

Axver said:

If you'd ever been to New South Wales, you might not be so happy. :wink:

VIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QLD > NSW

Unfortunately, I haven't been to any other states and none of the territories.

I haven't been at all, but, I do aim to remedy that sooner than later.

There are songs, then there are SONGS!!.. I have done this through the years for no apparent reason..i.e. falling in/out of love, getting married/dying. Coming out or going in.. and yes I mean that literally.
One thing I've always done over the years was fall in Love with certain songs. It didn't matter if I heard them a million times or very little. It was my song, for whatever reason. Each decade had it's favorite and some even overroad into other decades. U2's New Years Day & One did that for me in the 80'/90's. I've never tired of either of them. Live or otherwise.
I can only say that with a few other bands, that I've heard over the decades. (and they know who they are :wink: )
Point is no one, in the grand scheme of music, can dictate to anyone else what is special and what is suck worthy.
No point is.. what did you expect when a thread is started like this and goes this far?

So.. Is It Getting Better.. :drool: :love:

Zootlesque said:
Okay... so that's it? Where are all the fighters in this forum???

Pooh

I'm sure this would still be going or locked if I'd kept on debating with gabrielvox and hadn't chosen to ignore Aygo. :wink:

It's hard when someone fights the absurdities posted on this forum. There are some who prefer to stay in the "ignorance is bliss" deal. Unlike those, I'm not gonna shut up - whether they like or not - and accuse those who are not cohesive and offer presumption instead of honesty and truth.

Aygo said:
It's hard when someone fights the absurdities posted on this forum. There are some who prefer to stay in the "ignorance is bliss" deal. Unlike those, I'm not gonna shut up - whether they like or not - and accuse those who are not cohesive and offer presumption instead of honesty and truth.

I really prefer to stay out of the flame war, but I must point out that honesty =/= truth. Just because it's your honest opinion doesn't mean it's truth - it's still an opinion.

:down: to this thread. One is at the very least decent. The hatred is an irrational reaction to years of praise.

It's like hating Penny Lane or something. People do it, but who cares about them?

LemonMelon said:
:down: to this thread. One is at the very least decent. The hatred is an irrational reaction to years of praise.

It's like hating Penny Lane or something. People do it, but who cares about them?

Bingo!

LemonMelon said:
The hatred is an irrational reaction to years of praise.

Characterisations like this are an irrational reaction by people who just can't grasp others don't have the same tastes. Khan's stated she hated it since she first heard it - in 1991, i.e. when it came out, before it had any reputation whatsoever.

Axver said:

You want to know why One fucking sucks? Let me put it as simply as possible. The lyrics are cliched and overwrought tripe.

Dude. They're not even CLOSE to being cliche at all. You're comparing them to "My Heart Will Go On"? Really? :huh: One has been included in many polls and lists concerning the greatest lyrics of all time in popular music. While that should not mean anything to anyone, it sure means more to me than the opinion of some schlub who posts on an internet forum. No offense. :wink:

Axver said:
(Rant that has nothing to do with the quality of the song itself but instead discusses how it has been "whored out")

That has nothing to do with the quality of the song itself but instead merely discusses how it has been "whored out"; hardly a good way to judge a track. :tsk: :wink:

Best. Song. Ever. Those who don't like it are just jealous they didn't write it.

Axver said:

Incidentally, all of New South Wales is one big Ass Farm. Or Arse Farm. I suspect you mean the latter. Either way, maybe I should just call you that in future. :wink:
(what) is (wrong) with (pointless) parentheses?

Zootlesque said:
Okay... so that's it? Where are all the fighters in this forum???

Pooh
fine, i'll start a fight, but i claim immunity...FUCK YOU ALL ONE SUCKS RARRGH ANYONE WHO LIKES ONE CAN SUCK MY (non existant) DICK AND LICK MY BALLS

piglet

:wink:

Um yeah I will have no problem closing this thread if the personal attacks continue. There are far too many in this thread. I dont care who started the thread (no offense).

LemonMelon said:
Dude. They're not even CLOSE to being cliche at all.

"We're one but we're not the same." :barf:

One has been included in many polls and lists concerning the greatest lyrics of all time in popular music. While that should not mean anything to anyone, it sure means more to me than the opinion of some schlub who posts on an internet forum. No offense. :wink:

Actually, I'm more inclined to take seriously some "schlub who posts on an Internet forum" than some poll by the editors and/or viewers of MTV, Rolling Stone, and whatnot. That includes you guys defending One. I'm far more interested in what the decent, articulate posters who like the song have to say than some list in the mass media.

That has nothing to do with the quality of the song itself but instead merely discusses how it has been "whored out"; hardly a good way to judge a track. :tsk: :wink:

Of course, but it does give one reason why One today fucking sucks and why it needs a live rest - which, for better or worse, is always going to be a part of the discussion. I only raised it because it was already being mentioned, so I thought I'd address it.

I love the little warzone-like intro to the song, with the helicopters and troops screaming orders, etc. It really sets the mood for the barrage of noise to come in the 2nd half of the song. The almost machine gun sounding power chord section after the slow buildup of the first two verses. Then the absolute assault of a solo like a bomb just went off and everyone is in the middle of a clusterfuck of bullets and mayhem. It's like a battle that starts off in fear and ends in anger and pain. The whole stanza about having your body and mind taken by darkness, to me personally, really represents the torture that soldiers face during and after their tour of duty not only physically but mentally. ("taken my leg"... "taken my heaven"). It's a very relevant song considering the situation today and the hardships our brave men and women must be facing in Iraq.

Wait aren't we talking about "One" by Metallica?

OH! The U2 track. Definitely one of my favs, and Larry crossdressing is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom