we fucking hate one, and here's why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

Uh, he's said this in an interview. He then went on to explain a little more about the situation, which was a friend's, so I thought the reference to the interview would suffice to those who know this background. But I'm too lazy to dig the interview out.

I'd be interested to read that specifically.... I recall the background, my recollection is that he said that he was partly inspired by said friend (was it explicitly said 'gay friend' or 'dying of AIDS'? or both?) and then song has become far more encompassing than that singular meaning.

At any rate, let's not beat that to death any more than it has on this and other forums...I think it's beautiful that the song could totally have meaning to a gay person looking for basic parental love, and yet without even knowing that background info it could totally have meaning to any child or anyone in a relationship that is based upon conditional love.

One is a song about unconditional love. That's the real message, and I think that jumps right out of the lyrics, it's not hidden at all.

phillyfan26 said:
That's no climax. I know climaxes. That isn't one.

The live One's with the "Do you hear my coming Lord?" verse have climaxes: that verse. All other versions do not.

I would just like to take a moment to have an immature snicker at this post, which contains references to both "coming" and "climaxes."

I'll show myself out.

gabrielvox said:

I'm only picking out that because I personally feel that it's completely untrue. If I read that type of critique anywhere in print I would dismiss it as garbage, to be honest.

Larry does nothing to write home about? How about the subtetly of the light almost hip-hop beat and the tom hit every so often? It's beautiful, and it translates into a more rnb-ified version seemlessly.

Edge's guitar work not memorable? No way. There are alot of really unique sounds going on in that song. And the solo at the end, especially in it's live incarnations where Bono waits before starting the outtro, is just a thing of amazing power and statement.

The lyrics are cliched and overwrought tripe? Completely disagree, the universality of the symbolisms used is just amazing. "You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl", "we GET to carry each other", "did I disappoint you...leave a bad taste in your mouth"..that whole verse in fact...some of Bono's most charged lyrics and speaks to so many different situations on so many different levels.

No climax? What do you call "Love is a temple" into the final "One love, one blood, one life" etc? I'd say that's about as beautiful a climax as any U2 song. It's actually very sexual in the structure, as far as song templates go and the placement of the climax and then leading out, yet it's not an intentionally sexual song. Another mark of a gem of a song imo.

Bono's inconsequential wailing? No way, it's hardly inconsequential. It's a fitting closure to the passion and intensity being expressed.

It's like they had no idea how to finish the fucking song? The song ends perfectly, just perfectly.

I think the big problem is just that: the song is TOO perfect. It is a masterpiece, and will live on in musical history as a timeless classic.

Good post:up:

One's not my favorite, but it's definitely got that sense of majesty which really has defined U2. As for people trying to debate whether or not lyrics to a song suck or not, I laugh. I laugh because it's a debate that can't be won. Either the lyrics connect with you or they don't.

corianderstem said:

I would just like to take a moment to have an immature snicker at this post, which contains references to both "coming" and "climaxes."

I'll show myself out.

Man!!! in all my attempt at serious and respectful debate that went completely over my head.

Nicely played, pfan. :wink:

This thread should be titled "we fucking suck and here's why". :lol:

Sorry, that was too tempting and needless to say, I didn't mean it.

Oh, and it's so funny to read that the "One" defenders spammed this thread.

Spammed the thread???
At least, the "One" defenders didn't invent that the song is not appreciated and very well rated worldwide to justify our hatred for the it.

Axver said:

People actually care about those MTV lists?

MYV lists my ass!

"One" is constantly listed as one of the best songs by several entities. Everybody who pays little attention to the general media knows that - and not only MTV is included on it.

Aygo said:

Yer hilarious! :lmao:

This is what happens whan someone doesn't have good arguments to justify his opinion, which is too bad.

BTW, this comment shows even more your narrow mind. "My Heart Will Go On" is only parodied (as the singer is) because is sung by Celine Dion, because it was a huuuuuuuge hit and because it is associated to a (today) ridiculed movie. Besides that, it's a very well composed love ballad and it would be much more respected if it was not associated to what I described in the previous sentence.

Rockin'. You didn't just show up; you discredited yourself.

In the interests of not flaming you further, I'll just say that I have never liked anybody on Interference less than you and I have no interest in having any future discussions with you about anything. I really have nothing to say to you, and I'd rather not spend my time on what you have to say. It's as simple as that; I've grown tired of bickering with you. I have never used the ignore feature before, but I find your opinions, your attitudes, and your shocking phrasing to be just too much. Reply as much as you want; I won't be reading it. Goodbye. :wave:

Aygo said:

MYV lists my ass!

"One" is constantly listed as one of the best songs by several entities. Everybody who pays little attention to the general media knows that - and not only MTV is included on it.

Yeah I don't know how and where he got the "MTV" from! :scratch: I didn't mention it. :lol:

I also like how this thread was destined to become an emotionally charged debate...

It was never going to be a peaceful discussion of what makes One suck so much.:wink:

I laugh:D

gabrielvox said:

I might be going wayyyy out on a limb here but Bono probably hoped we wouldn't fight over it though. ;)

Haha... at least we're still laughing about it and the thread didn't end up being locked...

...yet. :uhoh:

Axver said:

Rockin'. You didn't just show up; you discredited yourself.

In the interests of not flaming you further, I'll just say that I have never liked anybody on Interference less than you and I have no interest in having any future discussions with you about anything. I really have nothing to say to you, and I'd rather not spend my time on what you have to say. It's as simple as that; I've grown tired of bickering with you. I have never used the ignore feature before, but I find your opinions, your attitudes, and your shocking phrasing to be just too much. Reply as much as you want; I won't be reading it. Goodbye. :wave:

Oh... :sad: I think I'm gonna cut my wrists because of what you said about me...

If you was bickering me is because you found some importance on what I wrote - maybe because you know I am right.

I don't care if you love me or if you hate me more than "One". I always detested you attitude in the forum: presumptuous and arrogant - being the main reason the fact that you're an encyclopedy of setlists (and something more). That doesn't make you more fan than me or anyone else here and doesn't give you the right to impose opinions as you usually do (and as usually mods allow).

BTW (we're talking about mods), I take the opportunity to congratulate (nooooooooot!) Khanada to have the bad attitude of creating a thread like this one, knowing that on the previous thread (connected to this one thematically on the discussion) things weren't already getting well. I know that, more than a Mod, you're an user too... but... once again, you're a Mod. you have few more responsabilities on the forum than us. One of these is: don't put more ashes or gasoline in the fire. It's your fault too.

I am sorry, Khanada, but I'm not gonna shut up reading all these stupidites.
As I said before, you're all allowed to hate a song. What you can't do is to discuss something with no arguments and have an arrogant attitude to force people to change their minds about something.

Now, I leave the suggestion of closing this thread (you all have already closed others for much less) or to lead the discussion on another way.

Last edited:
I'd just like to reiterate that I think My Heart Will Go On, as sung by Celine Dion, is one of the great pop love masterpieces of the last 50 years of music. Yes I do.

I think that also of "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and "Greatest Love of All" too, so that likely explains that...

gabrielvox said:
I'd just like to reiterate that I think My Heart Will Go On, as sung by Celine Dion, is one of the great pop love masterpieces of the last 50 years of music. Yes I do.

I think that also of "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and "Greatest Love of All" too, so that likely explains that...

I think I agree with you again, man! Despite finding Celine Dion's voice pretty annoying sometimes, I do like the Titanic song. A huge reason being James Horner's exceptional score. And Whitney's Greatest Love Of All is just classic! Childhood memories from the 80s listening to that song. :love:

Zootlesque said:

Childhood memories from the 80s listening to that song. :love:

I know...to be an adolescent again during that time...when songs came out that could literally rip your heart right out of your chest. Either I'm jaded or the artists of today just can't do that anymore. Alicia is good tho...btw....what the fuck is Ashanti think she's doing standing and smiling up herself beside Whitney and Alicia at the Grammy's? She needs to check herself, that's wayyyy out of her league :lol:

(oops off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom