Wave of Sorrow on U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo82

Refugee
Go to U2.com, video featuring Bono speaking about new Joshua Tree track that he just laid down the lyrics to within the last few days. Sounds pretty damn good :ohmy:

Hmmm. Reminds me a little of Hands That Built America.

The music track definitely has that old school Larry chugging tom/slow build feeling that the other JT b-sides groove on.

Lots of words, lots of meat in this song.

Nothing spectacular. Still though, I like it a lot after a few listens. Definitely as good as most stuff on Bomb. Definitely more exciting than Window In the Skies (aka crap). I really like some of the lyrics. I really like the coda too. That part sounds cool.

LOL he said "nobility on it's knees".

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
Nothing spectacular. Still though, I like it a lot after a few listens. Definitely as good as most stuff on Bomb. Definitely more exciting than Window In the Skies (aka crap). I really like some of the lyrics. I really like the coda too. That part sounds cool.

You can come to all those conclusions from a few listens to a background videotape recording?

hysterical.

I liked it. It had a nice beat, and the lyrics were deep and painted a good picture. And although Bono was sort of adorable singing over it, I look forward to hearing it on its own.

I think the biggest suprise here is that U2.com had this first, and that they actually gave all of us something that felt like a real experience, some true enthusiasm, unlike the Fez reports. Those were interesting but still felt very disconnected without any photos to accompany those stories.

mofo82 said:
I think the biggest suprise here is that U2.com had this first, and that they actually gave all of us something that felt like a real experience, some true enthusiasm, unlike the Fez reports. Those were interesting but still felt very disconnected without any photos to accompany those stories.
I agree, although to me, the whole thing feels like it was Bono's idea. In my mind, he finished the new lyrics, and then was so excited about it that he wanted to make a little video and talk about the song. It's like he grabbed the nearest person (anyone have any idea who it is he's talking to on the video?), handed them a camera and decided to make a video blog type video. Except instead of posting it on YouTube like a non-famous person would, he handed it over to U2.com.

What I'm saying is, the people that normally choose what content goes on the sight probably wouldn't have thought of something like this on their own :wink:

shart1780 said:

You are so predictable...a parody of yourself.

When will you start trying again?

wait so this is a brand new song theyve written or something they wrote back in the JT era and never released it??

That's actually a pretty good song and I'm excited to hear the studio version in full audio quality. The lyrics are good.

I do wonder if U2 will play any of these tracks live. I would've said "hell no" before seeing this video, but Bono seems passionate about Wave Of Sorrow, and while he has trouble remembering the lyrics at the end, I'm sure a bit of rehearsal would rectify that. If we get another Africa segment next tour, this song would fit it like a glove.

I'm putting the over-under of songs released before 2010 containing a rhyme with "knees" at 5.

I wish Joshua Tree Bono had written the lyrics, this sounds decent musically.

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
wait so this is a brand new song theyve written or something they wrote back in the JT era and never released it??

It's a JT era song, written for the album, but never finished. Bono has done new vocals for it now.

In the big JT anniversary edition thread, a site has given the link to all the new songs and there, Wave of Sorrow sounds like muddied, JT era Bono singing. edit: oops, I misheard that. How come he re-did the vocals on that one ?

:shrug:

What do you know, Bono knew the word "kneel" well before 2000.

:|

Last edited:
Here's the direct link:
http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=2166

It sounds like new Bono. It's trying too hard to be big and moving and instead feels distant to me. Maybe that's because I'm not Christian, but talking about Ethiopia's biblical (potentially fictional) glories seems odd. I like the content toward the end that speak of difficulties faced by sex workers and those living in cardboard homes. I really like that. However, it just sounds too much like new Bono. The metaphores are a bit clunky. I don't know. Not as moving or as interesting as the typical Joshua Tree song. Then again, he was singing live. I might have a totally different reaction when I hear the CD. He's trying though and I respect his cause to bring African peoples to our attention. Bless him.

I heard the words 'souls' and 'knees'...

Why doesn't someone stop Bono to keep using these words?! Edge, Adam, Larry?!

BANZAI said:
I heard the words 'souls' and 'knees'...

Why doesn't someone stop Bono to keep using these words?! Edge, Adam, Larry?!
I agree. Also, "dreams" seems so general and unimaginative. Bono's been writing too much like a politician or a political speech writer, using the most common denominator words. All his talk about "an Irish man rock star with some big ideas and a guitar" and stuff like that. He doesn't have to be pretentious, but how about some interesting words? Come on, Bono!

That's what I like about these lyrics: they show both sides of the country, the good and the bad. It's not moralizing, just telling various aspects of the country's story.

The lyrics have Bono's personal experience in it, as well as historical metaphors. It's quite a story to tell, I like it. And the lyrics were written back then, so that was Bono's way of expressing what he experienced in Ethiopia. I find it very honest, yet poetic.

Of course, Bono loves to use "his" words and motives, all artists do. Seriously, I don't care about the "soul" or "knees", that's kind of his trademark ... but I agree, they could do with a little less kneeling. But "soul" and "dreams", in whatever context they might appear, are, at least for me, universal words that kind of appeal to all people. It's something honest, something that comes from the heart, and I like that much more than some complicated intellectual stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom