Watching ZooTV Sydney saddens me... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Watching ZooTV Sydney saddens me...

...because I realize what an amazing thing it was, and that U2 will never reach that level again in their careers.

No, I do not think everything since ZooTV is crap. I just realize how brilliant that whole concept was, and how everything came together so cohesively - from Bono's personas, to the albums, to the stage design, to the choice of songs on tour. I mean come on people, even a song like Lemon worked!

I really liked Pop and ATYCLB. And Electrical Storm. And yep, even the half-baked HTDAAB had 2 or 3 decent tracks. I still like U2 and think they have done some great things since ZooTV (Beautiful Day is truly one of the bands top 5 greatest all-time tracks, IMO).

But to look at ZooTV and see all that they dared to do back then just makes me a bit sad because I know that (as someone on this forum put it) they've been successful and they aren't 30 years old anymore and they don't need to take the big risks to prove themselves at this point.

In the meantime I can now watch ZooTV in crystal clear picture via DVD. Which is a great thing. And I guess I can still imagine that maybe someday they'll try something this bold and daring and amazing again. Maybe.

Hey, I can dream out loud, right?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:36 PM
It will awhile before any band does something like this again...

Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I think alot of U2 fans can relate. Popmart wasn't as thorough or as complete a presentation as ZooTV. ZooTV Sydney also makes me realize just how badly U2 has thrown in the towel. Remember when U2 could get a point across without having Bono giving a ten minute speech before songs?
Maybe what is worse is that you don't see bands try something like this. The 80's had The Wall. The 90's had ZooTv. Where is the ambitious tour of this decade?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Bold & Daring for them means something completely different now. And that's not a dig.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Where is the ambitious tour of this decade?
Where is the ambitious band making the ambitious music?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
War Child

Yep that was a special time

Though I would throw in Popmart right in with it...even with the imperfections
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You put up the 500 thousand per show it would cost these days to make a tour that big and I am sure U2 would do it. The reality is that ZooTV was so huge as a tour it drove U2 almost broke even though they were selling a ton of albums and selling out every show at the time they still lost a lot of money on the venture as they didnt have any sponsorship.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Every band has its peak, and I feel U2's has past. It may very well have been Zoo TV, or maybe even Lovetown. But it doesn't sadden me, it makes me happy to know that this band is the best band in the world. And maybe they will come close to the hights of Zoo TV again, just in a different style. They still have a lot of music in them.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 12:36 AM
I love ZooTV, but I love their newest work even more. In my opinion they have already topped ZooTV. I can't sadden me at all to watch it. I love watching it. But ZooTV is not the reason I'm a fan. I enjoy their newest work even more.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ambition doth bite the nails of success, as the poet once said.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 AM   #11
Refugee

Dont be sad,

They've done it, we can watch it, and they can't take it away from us.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Ambition doth bite the nails of success, as the poet once said.
Yes, and they also said: What are we going to do now it's all been said? No new ideas in the house and every book has been read ...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I think alot of U2 fans can relate. Popmart wasn't as thorough or as complete a presentation as ZooTV. ZooTV Sydney also makes me realize just how badly U2 has thrown in the towel. Remember when U2 could get a point across without having Bono giving a ten minute speech before songs?
Maybe what is worse is that you don't see bands try something like this. The 80's had The Wall. The 90's had ZooTv. Where is the ambitious tour of this decade?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #14
Acrobat

There's no future in the past. You can only move on and try different things and U2 will never copy what they have already, even though the Vertigo tour did to some extent with some images and words from the Zoo TV tour and even the scrambled tv screen for the opening of Zoo Station.

Zoo TV was great for that era and for the age of U2 then. I don't think they could do that now when they are all in their mid forties and the music scene has moved on.

I remember reading an article that Bono said that the reason they did a stripped down tour like Elevation was that so many bands/artists were putting on huge tours with big screens and large amounts of technology, it was the trend nowadays and they wanted to do something different and more intimate, going against the trend.

Personally I like the big tours and it was good to see a tour a like Vertigo hint at a return back to those days.

I would like U2 to try something they haven't done since the Lovetown tour and introduce some extra musicians on stage, whether it be an orchestra or just a string/brass section or extra percussion, because I think there are some songs that really need that fuller sound to be played live i.e. Hold Me Thrill Me, Unforgettable Fire, All I Want Is You and maybe Angel Of Harlem. This may sound controversial as U2 has always been about the four members playing on stage as a band, but maybe they could do a Metallica S & M special, which I thought sounded excellent.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:36 PM
First U say everything since ZOO TV is crap, then U say U liked POP, ATYCLB and some of HTDAAB. Make up Ur mind.