Watching Rattle and Hum, you really appreciate Larry's drumming...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I remember watching 'With Or Without You' and my mom said "Wow, he's really good" towards the end of the song where they zoom in on Larry.

Also watching the outtake 'One Tree Hill' just shows how dedicated Larry is to his drumming. You can really get lost in watching how he does it, it really makes you appreciate him and the music.

Larry's drumming in In God's Country. :drool:

He used to be such an interesting drummer. What happened?

craigp said:

same can be said for the rhythm section in general, adams bass playing was amazing on the first 4 albums! now its just mainly root notes :(

Indeed. :yes: Larry's drumming was superb on October/War in particular. His little semi-solo in Rejoice! If Larry could still drum like that today... And Adam was just fantastic on Boy and War.

It's a pity, really...

sure is a pity that i have spent last 5+ years of my life thinking there drumming and bass playing was actually brilliant on last couple of albums, now to find out i am wrong, i have no idea what to do.

I love how we get a nice, sweet, positive thread, and the first reply has to bring something negative to it.

Most of his stuff is not complicated or all that difficult, but creative. As much as people talk about how the drumming has gotten dull lately, it's not an entire album with the same drumming. COBL is different from Vertigo is different from OOTS is way different from LAPOE... etc.

The Fly :drool:

Bonochick said:
I love how we get a nice, sweet, positive thread, and the first reply has to bring something negative to it.

Yeah, suddenly it's the "Larry sucks now" thread. And the "Adam sucks now" thread. Really, the whole band just sucks now. It's a pity, really. *le sigh*

Seriously, though... for me, I still think he's a pretty good drummer, especially if you consider the fact that it's extremely painful for him to do so, and he has to wear that special arm brace. Cut Larry some slack. Also, he has aged in the last 20+ years... Of course he isn't going to be drumming like he was back in 1983. I know that's hard to believe. That, or perhaps Larry's trying to be "dull" on purpose. :hmm:

Sorry, I just had to say something, since I actually still like the guy.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:
Most of his stuff is not complicated or all that difficult, but creative. As much as people talk about how the drumming has gotten dull lately, it's not an entire album with the same drumming. COBL is different from Vertigo is different from OOTS is way different from LAPOE... etc.

The Fly :drool:

I totally agree... There's some decent stuff on HTDAAB (and yes, ATYCLB, lol). It's not like Larry's a one-trick pony now. LOL.

Last edited:
Larry's drumming in silver and gold :drool: .

Larry's drumming in COBL:drool:

Larry's drumming :drool:

Bonochick said:

Oh go on, I'm hardly ever serious. ;) I love how we always have to use ":wink:" around here to keep people from taking us dead seriously. Larry's not a bad drummer. He gets the job done. Of course he was better when he was younger, but that goes for any performer. I didn't mean to imply that he was absolute crap now, because he isn't.

KUEFC09U2 said:
sure is a pity that i have spent last 5+ years of my life thinking there drumming and bass playing was actually brilliant on last couple of albums, now to find out i am wrong, i have no idea what to do.

Well, you could get some musical training !

:wink:

Seriously though, there is a huge difference between " I find Larry's drumming incredibly enjoyable" and "Larry's drumming is brilliant". I'm not a trained musician, but am a part-time hack drummer. Larry's drumming always has been, and continues to be, well-suited to U2's sound, and that's the most important thing really.

However in terms of being "interesting" to the muso's, it has been decidedly mediocre the last 2 albums. IMHO he peaked on Pop, but as the original poster pointed out the way he drummed on WOWY on the JT tour was a lot more interesting than what he does now, probably is taking it easy and cutting back on the fancy stuff in order to keep himself in shape for a long tour, physically he just doesn't seem up to it as much anymore. Same could be said of a few other songs on which he's gotten lazy/gotten economical to save himself, your attitude towards U2 will define which of those 2 you go with.

If you still enjoy it, great. But it certainly has not been anywhere close to brilliant.

theu2fly said:
I remember watching 'With Or Without You' and my mom said "Wow, he's really good" towards the end of the song where they zoom in on Larry.

that's exact one of my most favourite moments that has to do with U2. Rattle and Hum has some of these "perfect-moments". That is one were I use my repeat function. But also when in Pride the camera is behind Bono and the audience gets light. Or Adam in Bad when he looses the sweat.
Also of course Bonos "No More" singing during SBS is just soooo beautiful filming mixed with the greatest band on earth on their absolut top :drool:

I'm no expert...
That said, it seems to me Larry has a "Less is More" philosophy. And he may be right.
He clearly plays with style.

Larry is such an amazing drummer, rattle and hum shows this better than the other DVD's.

Rattle and Hum is amazing. Movie and album. Doesn't get the credit it deserves. I mean, the change from Black and White to color at the beginning of Streets....how :drool:-worthy is that!? And yes, Larry's Drumming is killer here. Sunday Bloody Sunday = :combust:

KUEFC09U2 said:

LAWL

:lol:

I was just thinking today that Adam's bass playing went up a notch from AB onwards.
I am a very beginner bass player and all the tabs I have are from JT or earlier, cos they're relatively straightforward. (WOWY, anyone?) I don't have tabs for all those earlier songs, I'm just saying the tabs I do have are all from the 80s. Without listening to all the songs right now, I can't say for sure that there aren't some very complex bass lines in War that I wouldn't have a hope of repeating.

I'm also re-reading "U2 at the End of the World" again, especially the part where it all nearly fell apart in Berlin and one of them said something about Adam working on the personality of his bass playing. And listening to Pop today, there's a HUGE difference between how he plays on that, and how he played in the 80s (to my admittedly fallible memory). In Pop he is kicking arse all over the place, bass-wise. It's magnificent. :drool:

Slightly back on-topic, I love watching Adam in R&H. :) I guess I should pay more attention to Larry when I watch it next....

Alisaura said:
I was just thinking today that Adam's bass playing went up a notch from AB onwards.
I am a very beginner bass player and all the tabs I have are from JT or earlier, cos they're relatively straightforward. (WOWY, anyone?) I don't have tabs for all those earlier songs, I'm just saying the tabs I do have are all from the 80s. Without listening to all the songs right now, I can't say for sure that there aren't some very complex bass lines in War that I wouldn't have a hope of repeating.

I'm also re-reading "U2 at the End of the World" again, especially the part where it all nearly fell apart in Berlin and one of them said something about Adam working on the personality of his bass playing. And listening to Pop today, there's a HUGE difference between how he plays on that, and how he played in the 80s (to my admittedly fallible memory). In Pop he is kicking arse all over the place, bass-wise. It's magnificent. :drool:

Slightly back on-topic, I love watching Adam in R&H. :) I guess I should pay more attention to Larry when I watch it next....

Adam did spend a year or two taking lessons with a fairly respected bass teacher and player between Zooropa and Pop. (Passenger's not technically a "U2" album. ) He would be given "monster" exercises, and would have them down in a week. The instructor is a big fan of Jaco Pastorius, as well as much more respected bass players, so I'm guessing when he says 'monster' exercises, it's not simple scale exercises.

Larry also spent some time working with a drumming instructor around the same time period.

I've read that the more "seasoned" a musician gets, the more he/she tends to play the song, not the instrument. Technique is great, but making music, it's not brain surgery, it's an art. The instrument gymnastics are fun to watch but that's not really what U2 is about. "Guitar Olympics" as Edge refers to it, won't deny it's cool to watch, but I like to enjoy a song too. Busy playing sometimes kinda distracts from the whole, like say, heavy metal. IMO. Heavy metal musicians, a lot are virtuosos, but I don't get any "feel" from what they play.

Besides, it's really only in Jazz and a few other genres that bass is really important, makes sense that many of the top bassists, play Jazz.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287168

Drummers too, the Jazz drummers, only a few genres where it's not all about the guitar and singing. (no offense to Bono and Edge)

I love Larry's playing on God Part 2!

Last edited:
I find his drumming on OOTS, GONE, THE FLY LIVE, MYSTEROUS WAYS LIVE, STREET MISSONS, and THE EARLY DEMO OF SHADOW AND TALL TREES AND EVEN WITS far more interesting compared to WOWY but that’s just
Me. That said I absolutely adore the way he ends the WOWY live version from Milan.

thrillme said:

I've read that the more "seasoned" a musician gets, the more he/she tends to play the song, not the instrument.

Great point.
Along with Bono's voice, though, Larry's drumming seems to have gained (or regained) an extra dimension between Elevation and Vertigo. Compare IWF from Irving Plaza or Boston with IWF from Brooklyn Bridge or Milan... or, if memory serves, WOWY, although I could be wrong on that one. Haven't watched the Elevation DVDs in a while.

Can somebody explain to me if I'm right that Larry plays WOWY differently on different dvds?
The original was with the hi hat inbetween drums at the sorta climax in the song, like you can see him doing on Rattle and Hum.... same is played during vertigo now... but on the Slane Boston dvds he doesn't do it... also on I think Zootv it's different, and Popmart Mexico aswell....
Was it too much for his back to play it? or is there another reason?

The DVD is probs a terrible example of how to drum and i bet larry agree's , the way his back is when he is drumming....
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom