Watching Popmart Mexico now for the first time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gotta admit, some parts of it are amazingly brilliant, but some just bore me, sats-sbs just find them a little too boring, but just my opinion of course

and oh bugger why do i have this horrible feeling i am about to get flamed

Last edited:
I think the version of Mofo, in comparison to several others is extremely weak, imagine the Europe VMA performance as the standard, I think there are 4 or 5 right up there with that. I'm just saying, it's like getting an average version of Streets or Bullet on Rattle and Hum, not representative at all.

There are some versions of Mofo and Miami that are as balls out rocking as they have ever sounded. I have a boot called Pump It Up Georges, the versions of Mofo and Miami are pure tits.

Overall, I think it's an average POPmart performance, I'm glad people think it's a great performance, I think that speaks more to how VASTLY underrated POPmart is. The show I saw in St. Louis was so good it defies explanation. Some of the boots I have, are twice as good as Mexico, some of then ten times.

I know the same thing could be said for all of U2's concerts vs the ones released. Vertigo Chicago probably wasn't near the best North American concert to release. ZOOTV Syndey probably wasn't the best ZOOTV show, but it was very very good. POPmart Mexico City, I'm afraid compared to what I've seen and heard was an average show, yet still very good. Not representative of the high point of that spectacle.

Last edited:
Mofo was alright... so was All I Want Is You (esp. with the Never Tear Us Apart lyrics at the end), and Last Night On Earth's ending was killer.

Also, I suppose when you aren't fluent in the language either, and the entire crowd seems to go crazy every time the lead singer says your country's name, you might even say Mexico a lot during the show as well...

I love the Discotheque > Velvet Dress part

:drool: we rock (and I wasn't there, I was too young)

* MoFo * said:
One of the best parts for me is during NYD (I think) when there is a shot of the whole stadium flicking lighters in time to the music... It ripples from the back of the crowd to the front, as the sound travels to the back... amazing concert.

I always thought the crowd were given synchronized flashlights.

i love popmart mexico! i really want this bad boy on DVD!!! :drool:

my favs:

1. "Moooooooooove me your mountain"--> I will follow. It just sounds brilliant!!!

2. End of "Last night on earth"

3. Please/Streets. I don't have to talk about this, everyone knows :drool:

4. Discothèque --> This ain't no party, this ain't no disco :D

Zootlesque said:
I only have Popmart Santiago on dvd. How different/better/worse is the Mexico show?

You made the right choice :drool:

In both Mexico Nights band's performance were rather tentative. Well, it´s a pretty common thing that the band don´t give their truly best performance when they know they are filmed, you know, in advance for a DVD (in this case, for an official VHS). Really really wrong. They should have waited until the tour was over (like they did back in Zoo TV) and then choose the best Pop Mart concert, simply as that !.

After filming the artificial Mexico shows (just watching that unforgivable version of Desire I can´t believe why did they go with that concert for the official release!) the band gave a fantastic gigs in Brazil, Argentina and Chile, and then they gave a really good concerts in New zeland, Australia, Japan and South Africa as well.

Bono´s voice was pretty average on Mexico, I mean, rough, hoarse and annoying at times (the end of Mofo is HORRIBLE, for example). The band aren´t on fire, and the crowd (I don´t know whether it is a problem of mixing or what) is really low and quiet.

It´s a widespread opinion among collectors that the top 3 Pop Mart Concerts were (no particular order)

Santiago 1998
Helsinski 1997
Rotterdam 1997

Moreover, among collectors the Pop Mart Mexico isn´t even considered as a top 10. Really, you can feel the lack of sincerity, passion, devotion, and on the contrary, you can smell contracts, dollars, MTV, marketing and all that money machine empire :(

Pop Mart Santiago 1998 was filmed complete (a pretty rare thing that a Pop Mart concert was recorded from Mission Impossible onwards, most of recordings - CD and DVD - begin with Pop Musik) and it was - In my humble opinion - The most poingnant Pop Mart concert after Sarajevo 1997.

Pop Mart Sarajevo could have been by far the best ever Pop Mart Concert just for the significance of the event... but... all we know that it was totally ruined by Bono's voice :(

You can feel the honestly, the passion, the energy, the atmosphere, the crowd, etc, in Santiago. And that ending with One- Mothers Of The Dissappeared it was simply the most extraordinary and landmark finale of any Pop Mart show. Much better than the one with Madres de Plaza de Mayo, Argentina. Here the Mothers actually participated on the concert, and Bono left simply loss for words so he invited the Mothers to comunicate their feelings to us.

It´s such a pity they never released Santiago 1998 concert instead. At least, it´s by far the best image and sound quality DVD bootleg from Pop Mart Tour. And TVN still have the masters so they could give to U2 team for restauring and remastering. It wouldn´t be hard at all to release a DVD :(

Feel proud my friend, you have in your hands the best document of the Pop Mart Tour

Back
Top Bottom