Wasn't the pricing for Popmart a bit high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
Hey, folks,

I'm not sure if the admin will merge this thread with others, but I had a complaint about the pricing of the new Popmart DVD, and wanted people to specifically respond to that.

When Vertigo came out, the deluxe version cost me only $19.99 Canadian. Perhaps it was because the area from where I bought it had a lot of competition with Sam the Record Man (now closed) offering the best price. However, even in other locations, the DVD was $26.99.

Zoo TV on DVD was similarly priced as Vertigo if I recall, with a minor price hike.

When I went to check out the Popmart DVD, the single disc version is the same price as the deluxe version of Vertigo at HMV and the lowest price for the deluxe version is $34.99 ($32.99 on Amazon.ca). I actually saw the deluxe version at the regular price of $52.99.

I'm curious if American and other nation's counterparts have had a similar price hike.

If so, it's proof that U2's willingness to let Universal overcharge fans for already released material is getting to be too much. They've sold out and I'm sick and tired of it, though I'll probably buy it.

The deluxe version could also have had more of the Rotterdam show, just as Zoo TV's 2nd disc could have had much more. Even the full Milan concert wasn't put onto the extra DVD for the regurgitated deluxe hits album. Vertigo was also the worst filmed concert, from what I've heard. I sense the band is awaiting a future emergency to cash in with the full extra shows. Even the deluxe version of HTDAAB didn't come with lyrics, forcing me to buy the regular version import. I think it's disgusting and a betrayal of U2's often-referred to care about their fans.

Last edited:
You bought yours in the wrong place. Mine was $17 at Best Buy in the US. I'm pretty sure both Vertigo Chicago and ZooSydney cost me more. All deluxe.

Some places will price recent, impulse-driven releases at incentive prices. "Hey, U2's latest show. It's cheap enough, what the hell?"

And then they'll price deeper catalog stuff a bit higher to take advantage of rabid fans. No casual U2 listener is going to pick up PopMart based on price-point. But the hard core fan will think "Wow, it's finally out. That's a bit steep, but I've been waiting so long..."

That's why you can pick up "Big Momma's House 2" for 10 bucks and Wes Anderson films for 27.

Or maybe you went to the wrong place.

Both popmart contained 2 dual layer dvd's (dvd9) in the deluxe.

With ZooTV for example it was 1 dvd9 and 1 dvd5. I think the price also shows from the package etc, everything is just done a bit better.

Isn't the retail like $29.99? Maybe it's $34.99 I'm not sure, but Amazon.com was charging $19.99 and the prices I saw in person were $18.99 at Newbury Comics (I got it for $16 with their weekly coupons) and $21.99 at Circuit City. First week prices.

nathan1977 said:
In the states I got my deluxe version for $19.99...

me to , at Best Buy .
I know that at Best Buy the first week of a release on cd/dvd they are at a really good price , after the first week the price goes up so I'm not sure what Pop is going for now .

Originally posted by u2trinity

me to , at Best Buy .
I know that at Best Buy the first week of a release on cd/dvd they are at a really good price , after the first week the price goes up so I'm not sure what Pop is going for now .

Originally posted by MsMofoGone
It was discounted from the original price of $29.99 at Best Buy.

Originally posted by indra
Looks as if the Canadians got screwed.

I wonder why that is ?? (since the US and Canada are on the same continent ... North America)

Except for Canada's slightly higher denominations for our US dollar ... you would think their costs would be close to what we pay. :hmm:

MsMofoGone said:

I wonder why that is ?? (since the US and Canada are on the same continent ... North America)

Except for Canada's slightly higher denominations for our US dollar ... you would think their costs would be close to what we pay. :hmm:

Usually the US dollar is worth a fair amount more than the Canadian dollar, but recently the US dollar has been weak (and possibly the Canadian dollar strong) so they have virtually the same value. So the price discrepancy seems particularly strange now.

Here's a link to a currency converter to take a look.

Originally posted by indra

Usually the US dollar is worth a fair amount more than the Canadian dollar, but recently the US dollar has been weak (and possibly the Canadian dollar strong) so they have virtually the same value. So the price discrepancy seems particularly strange now.

Exactly !! :up:

So is Canada trying to receive a 'higher profit' on some of their merchandise items ?? :hmm:

I would believe that to be the case here, since they are a separate country ... and claim to not do anything like the US does.

And that's not a slam at Canada either ... they just feel it's necessary to be different. Why ?? :shrug:

I always thought one their main delicasies was paper ... as that is one of their hardest items to get there. :sad:

Paper items should be an expensive cost then ... not DVDs. :huh:

I paid €26.60 (deluxe version), normal retail prise here is €32-€35.

But it is still a lot, compared to the $26.

(euro being stronger that the $ these days)
Also, when for example an ipod in the US costs $299, you would think it will be around the same amount in € when it comes on sale here, but no, then it even gets more expensive, like €399 :|

MsMofoGone said:

Exactly !! :up:

So is Canada trying to receive a 'higher profit' on some of their merchandise items ?? :hmm:

I would believe that to be the case here, since they are a separate country ... and claim to not do anything like the US does.

And that's not a slam at Canada either ... they just feel it's necessary to be different. Why ?? :shrug:

I always thought one their main delicasies was paper ... as that is one of their hardest items to get there. :sad:

Paper items should be an expensive cost then ... not DVDs. :huh:

Wtf?? :huh:

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom