Was Window in the Skies a "hit"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Deffently not a hit in Australia... it had very little airplay... Of course its going to feature on the charts because its u2 but it did not last long...

LyricalDrug said:
I wouldn't call it a mainstream hit by any stretch. The video was a hit on youtube, though, that's for sure.

It will definitely be played on future tours. Bono is seriously, seriously proud of this song (as he should be, IMO). Sure, he always hypes the latest U2 song, but he REALLY hyped this song. Called it something like "the universal song, the song that every generation sings to the next one." It's a massive, catchy, stadium anthem, and I can't wait to see Bono hold out the microphone, so 50,000 people can sing "oh can't you see what love has done" on the next tour.

FWIW, I personally rank it as the second best U2 song of all time, after Streets. It's just insanely catchy, the middle 8 is awesome, the 6/8 time signature is trippy, the chorus is huge, and it's got a great melody.

100%agreed – I really do think, that this beautiful tune will stand the test of time, and I hope, that it will be played on stage (again).

Er, Bono (and other U2 members but who's counting) has hyped other u2 songs as well. And not even the ones that are really best.

Shock horror the man likes their material.

Agreed, Saints being released so close with WITS hurt this song. A run of the mill compilation single, like S. Thing or the overhyped E. Storm (talk about a U2 by the numbers song).

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't a hit in the UK, I think it went virtually unoticed, I don't recall the band doing any promotion for it, a shame because I still like the song, it's probably one of the most hook-laden things they've ever done, it's unashamedly trying to be as catchy and Beatlesque as possible. Which is fine and all but I hope it's not a route they explore too much on the next album.

DevilsShoes said:
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't a hit in the UK, I think it went virtually unoticed, I don't recall the band doing any promotion for it, a shame because I still like the song, it's probably one of the most hook-laden things they've ever done, it's unashamedly trying to be as catchy and Beatlesque as possible.

Eh, it got to number 4 in the UK charts.

it wasnt as big of a hit here as saints , it still gets occasional airplay but its not a huge hit with anyone i know,
i really like the song and turn it up!
really gets me on a personal level at
" i know i hurt you and i made you cry, did everything but murder you and i "
i would love to hear it live and i think they should be proud of it. not sure its a song for a generation or whatever, but its allright.

as for promotion, they were out here at time of release and everyone went crazy buying u218 anyway,

Last edited:
Utoo said:
I'm more curious to see what people think about it now that it's 6 months old. I loved it initially and still like it now, but I'm not in love with it. The verses are forgettable & I don't get into it now until it hits the chorus and the funky stuff.
Still not sure what's wrong, but this song definitely didn't grow on me and probably I can't listen it anymore, at least for a long time. :sad:

Vlaco said:
In Holland it was a hit, a number one hit if I'm correct.
Yep, three weeks if Im'not wrong... then it got kicked off by XYP :rolleyes: Saints got kicked off after few weeks by Coole Piet, so I doubt that it says something about the songs themselves...

In holland it was a hit, definately.... I always watch MTV or dutch music channel TMF in the mornings, and every morning for a few weeks you could get the vid on either channel or both in the morning, and I don't watch tv for the rest of the day much so I dunno if it were only the mornings...
sadly 2nd versions are never played here... :( I preferred the Nexus version of the vid..

ludvic said:

Eh, it got to number 4 in the UK charts.

Really? Passed me by completely. :shrug:
Like most U2 singles, they seem to go in high and then fall down pretty quickly.

It was on the radio a fair bit for the first bit after it was released but I haven't heard it on the radio for awhile now though. Still love the song, and think it's cool that it came from a beach clip :wink:

It's a shame. WITS was a really good song. It got very little play here where I live--mostly on college radio. I get a London, Ontario radion station in at certain times of the day, and they played it often.

I'm being drawn and quartered for not owning Pop @ 3. Can we do 11am? My branding for confusing "Where the Streets Have no Name" and "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" should be over by then.

WITS is the perfect single. I love this song. :heart:

It may not have done much in the US but they are, no doubt, still trying to recover from the simply awful Discothèque. However it may take another decade to fully get this joke of lead single out of their system.

Last edited:
:D ok you guys got me to redo my marathon :wink:

the first months I had wits on repeat, itunes got 888 times... plus my ipod and wmp :wink: and I"m starting again

roy said:
It may not have done much in the US but they are, no doubt, still trying to recover from the simply awful Discothèque. However it may take another decade to fully get this joke of lead single out of their system.

:huh:

I think America's collective grief over Discotheque ended about 10 year ago, thanks for the concern though.

Back
Top Bottom