Was this a bunch of bullshit or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Elevation Slane. In the middle of Out Of Control, Bono goes something like "we're not gonna go to NYC. we're gonna base our crew right here in Dublin! Cos this is our tribe!!!"

:eyebrow: Obviously they went to the US, became freakin huge and JT happened and stuff. So what's that about? Did he just want to get a cheer from the irish crowd? Or are they technically still based out of Dublin or something?

Either way, that Slane dvd is freakin awesome! :rockon:

old_thread.gif

Zootlesque said:

Well, I've not seen any old thread on this! :madspit: :wink:

No, I guess it's just an old topic then. The Slane DVD happened a long time ago, Zootlesque :wink:

^ Yup. :tsk: Totally cancelled out that cute avatar.

I know. :wink: Just that I'm watching it right now and I've always wondered about that.

:huh:

He meant that London or New York were the place to be for a young band at the time. Yes, they toured the US over but they still lived and recorded their music in Dublin. Their homes and families were in Dublin.

Last edited:
He is receounting the trip that U2 made to London in Decmber 1979 and borrowing from the familes 500 pounds each to finance their trip. They wanted to get signed to a record deal and played several shows over 2 weeks in London. They caught the attention of Island Records, who on February 26, 1980 sent a person over to sign U2 to their label. They signed after their concert in Dublin that night which had a sell out crowd of 2,400.

The reference to not going to London and basing themselves in Dublin was that all previous Irish rocks acts that had had reasonable success (Thin Lizzy, the Boomtown Rats, Rory Gallagher) had all moved to London and based themselves there. Back in 1979-80, U2 made the conscious decision that they were not going to relocate.

U2, to this day, as a band and an organization are still based out of Dublin, though their managment, Principle Management, has a New York office.

U2Man said:
As if Bono would ever say something that turned out to be bullshit. :tsk:

Yeah, good thing he never said anything about there being an album in 2006

oh, wait... :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Okay I wasn't sure. But still the way he says it is as though they're a local band in Dublin. :huh:

:huh: They pretty much are. They record their albums (at least in part) in Dublin, like was just said, their studio is in Dublin and a new one was just built there, they live at least part of the year in Dublin ... how are they not a local band? Just because they're hugely famous now and they spend some time in southern France (or in Edge's case, in LA)?

Because even all the way over in Dublin, everybody still knows the Yankees suck :)

He just meant that they weren't going to relocate their lives and stuff. They were going to base themselves in Dublin, and they still do. Recording studios, families, crews, etc.

Screwtape2 said:
Remember when Bono used to preface Sunday Bloody Sunday by saying, 'We play this song in the hopes we won't have to play it one day.' Yeah...when will that day be, B-man? :eyebrow:

I take it you've missed the point of him saying that?

They're definitely planning to stay based in Dublin, considering they got the permission to build a new studio near their current one, as well as luxury apartment complex. The studio would be on the top 2 floors of the apartment complex.

:hmm: will the tenants be require to sign waivers saying they won't allow leaking of "works in progress" ? ;)

No Axver, I understand what he meant. The point I was making was that it's hypocritical for the band to play the song if the message behind it is replaced a wallpaper performance of it, as if to glamourize this song that was once a burden on the band. Bono can say such BS sometimes.

IrishDawg said:

Yeah, good thing he never said anything about there being an album in 2006

oh, wait... :wink:

There could be an album in 2006. That's what he said, months ago before the tour got postponed.

As for SBS, I don't think the conflict will ever really go away. So the point still applies AFAIK. In the light of 9/11 and the global threat of terrorism, the song's meaning is strenghtened.

U2girl said:

There could be an album in 2006. That's what he said, months ago before the tour got postponed.

There could still be an album this year, but I doubt it because they haven't changed the tour's name. It's still Vertigo 2006. :huh: Spring or fall 2007 is far more likely, and I think Bono will (unfortunately) begin to mention that to the public. :(

I love Bono, but he can spout some real crap sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom