Was that a new song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mug222 said:

Unfortunately that is the very essence of the problem: these are not "his own words." They are the words and phrases of others, strung together into a song that seems to me entirely incapable of expressing Bono's true emotions--for I know that his emotions are true and are generous and are intelligent. The song simply does not do justice to them.

Since when are we not allowed to criticize a song that was put into the public eye? I have no doubt that Bono's intentions are very good, but that doesn't negate the fact that I find the song to be unlistenable.

i agree. these are bonos words, not mine. if they were mine, id say it would be alright, cause i am only me. unfortunately, they are bono's and bono is king. he can do so much better.

mug222 said:

Unfortunately that is the very essence of the problem: these are not "his own words." They are the words and phrases of others, strung together into a song that seems to me entirely incapable of expressing Bono's true emotions--for I know that his emotions are true and are generous and are intelligent. The song simply does not do justice to them.

But the performance of the song does. I know I'm not the only one who was moved to tears by it, bad lyrics or not. Words are not the only way to express yourself, so much more was communicated with the presentation, body language, setting, et cetera. His true emotions were expressed loud and clear to all who were there.

kristie, i like your signature... :) is that from the new dvd? i havent bought it yet, since the nearest copy is like over an hour away from where i live.

Zoomerang96 said:
kristie, i like your signature... :) is that from the new dvd? i havent bought it yet, since the nearest copy is like over an hour away from where i live.

thanks... but no, it's from the history mix on the best of bonus dvd

mug222 said:

Since when are we not allowed to criticize a song that was put into the public eye? I have no doubt that Bono's intentions are very good, but that doesn't negate the fact that I find the song to be unlistenable.

Put into the public eye? Have YOU HEARD the song? Have YOU SEEN the song performed?

I think I'm safe in assuming that you have not.

If you've already concluded that the song is "unlistenable" then why do you even care enough to post about it anymore?

And how many times do I have to stress the fact that he was singing this with children whom I'm guessing don't speak English as a first language, not to mention that one was only four years old.

Could you write a song "expressing true emotions" that a four year old can understand and perform?

And for the last time, the lyrics were NOT the important factor there. They didn't need to express anything. But you will never understand that because unfortunately you did not get to see the look on his face, the look on the kids faces, the look on the audiences faces. Words meant little that night.

Maybe when I get my tape I'll send you a copy so you can see how wrong you are.

well to mugs defence, i dont really care how anyone looks when they perform a song. if the music isnt good, the music isnt good - bottom line. in this case, we know the lyrics are awful.

stapp puts a lot of theatrics into the way he presents his shit, so you see what im saying right?

but its likely true mug hasnt heard the song.

and until we actually do hear it, we cant really judge it, i admit it.

o_O, watch out for Lies and her super-size can of whoop-ass! :laugh:

(not makin' fun of you Lies :hug: )

I have not heard a full length decent-quality recording posted online yet, so it is hard to judge if you weren't there to see it in person. But I was there, I was moved, and for the record I love to hear Bono sing *anything*, heck, I'd gladly sit through 3 hours of him singing "Row Row Row Your Boat", "3 Blind Mice", and "Old MacDonald"!!!!

Zoomerang96 said:
well to mugs defence, i dont really care how anyone looks when they perform a song. if the music isnt good, the music isnt good - bottom line. in this case, we know the lyrics are awful.

stapp puts a lot of theatrics into the way he presents his shit, so you see what im saying right?

but its likely true mug hasnt heard the song.

and until we actually do hear it, we cant really judge it, i admit it.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I think it's disturbing that you are trying to reduce this situation to technical elements of music. Do you even really care about anything else? I thought maybe you did, but the more I read your comments, the more I feel like you are one of those people turning a blind-eye, the type of people the presentation was meant to reach.....

Yes, Beth, the whoop-ass is shaken and poised for attack, grrrr! BTW, check out my new location and siggy, LOL!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I think it's disturbing that you are trying to reduce this situation to technical elements of music. Do you even really care about anything else? I thought maybe you did, but the more I read your comments, the more I feel like you are one of those people turning a blind-eye, the type of people the presentation was meant to reach.....

Yes, Beth, the whoop-ass is shaken and poised for attack, grrrr! BTW, check out my new location and siggy, LOL!

if lyrics are only technical elements to a song, then sue me for thinking that.

think about it for a second. lyrics ARE important! ESPECIALLY in this situation.

and what exactly am i turning a blind eye on? big deal if i dont like what ive read re: lyrics! i agree with his whole campaign, but just cause i made mention of a song doesnt mean ive turned a blind eye!

if anyone needs to open theirs, it just might be you.

Zoomerang96 said:

if anyone needs to open theirs, it just might be you.

ok, I'm really behind in school work and not in a good mood, so I'm not even going to dignify that with a response....for now.....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

ok, I'm really behind in school work and not in a good mood, so I'm not even going to dignify that with a response....for now.....

ooooh...

i hate to rain on your parade, but you did respond.

i answered your rediculous allegations, and i did it nicely too. just settle down and relax.

Okay, I think we all agree that the lyrics are not quite masterful... mostly because it's intended to be sung by children and teenagers whose native language is NOT english. It's still better than I could do though.
So how about we argue about something else?

Kristie said:
Okay, I think we all agree that the lyrics are not quite masterful... mostly because it's intended to be sung by children and teenagers whose native language is NOT english. ?

Precisely. Actually I had forgotten that they were doing hand motions along with parts of the song - definitely geared towards kids :yes:

Back
Top Bottom