Was "In the name of the father"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
recorded during the Zooropa sessions?

Anywhere near?

Making a Zooropa companion CD...

Anyone have any thoughts for song inclusions?

Thanks!

I've always considered Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me as part of Zooropa as it was written at the same time.

So that one and the two Namkcur mentioned are about it.

In The Name of the Father is from the same era, but not a U2 song. And Billy Boola just plain sucks.

U2DMfan said:
I've always considered Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me as part of Zooropa as it was written at the same time.

So that one and the two Namkcur mentioned are about it.

In The Name of the Father is from the same era, but not a U2 song. And Billy Boola just plain sucks.

Billy Boola does NOT suck :madspit: :wink:

And I associate HMTMKMKM with Pop.

namkcuR said:

Billy Boola does NOT suck :madspit: :wink:

And I associate HMTMKMKM with Pop.

Okay, I'll give you Billy Boola even though I think it sucks, but the title HMTMKMKM is actually on the cover of Zooropa, so there you go.

:wink:

U2DMfan said:

Okay, I'll give you Billy Boola even though I think it sucks, but the title HMTMKMKM is actually on the cover of Zooropa, so there you go.

But what was the only tour it was a regular on? Hmmm?

In BP Fallon's Tour book, titled U2: Faraway, So Close! he notes that Bono is writing a song called HOLD ME, THRILL ME, KISS ME, KILL ME during the ZOOROPA recording sessions. I don't know if they made a finished version of it at that time and just excluded it from the album, but I do know that U2 felt it was a good fit for the Batman movie, and it had a cool video too.

It wasn't the only one, either. A few songs from POP had their origins in the ZOOROPA recording sessions, including WAKE UP DEAD MAN and IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS. There may have been more.

As for IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, Bono wrote those songs, which include BILLY BOOLA and THE THIEF OF YOUR HEART (sung by Sinead O'Connor) with Gavin Friday, so I can assume they were not part of ZOOROPA at all...

A companion mix to ZOOROPA should definitely include HMTMKMKM, but the other ones would have to be remixes from the MELON disc, many of which were also b-sides somewhere else. Bono's duet with Frank Sinatra on YOU'VE GOT ME UNDER YOUR SKIN would be a good choice. Any more information and I'd have to go back and look it up in BP Fallon's book, or maybe Bill Flanagan's very good U2 AT THE END OF THE WORLD.

Definately from 1993 and it would be a good addition to your CD. I think You made me the thief of your heart would be a good addition also as it is written pretty much by Bono(can't believe that Gavin Friday could write something so beautiful). I always hoped that Sinead O'Connor would record a song with U2 to put on an album. The only thing I think U2 ever really lacked was a female voice and I think Sinead O'Connor has the most beautiful voice in the world.
I think you should include the perfecto mix of Lemon as this is the best remix of any song in history!

maybe i'm being a little harsh on my namesake, Mr Friday. He did write King Of Trash and I want to live which are great, but YMMTTOYH is just so perfect I doubt Gav had a lot of input into it. The piano sequence is pure Bono, just like Beach Sequence.
So I must hail Gavin Friday, the only person in the world who ever actually CHANGED their name to Gavin!! From one Gavin to another I salute you!!! :)

In The Name Of The Father and Billy Boola were recorded in September-October 1993, just after the Zooropa tour of Europe ended and before U2 went back on the road for Zoomerang, New Zooland and Zoo TV Japan beginning in November 1993. The songs were inlcuded in the film, which was released in December 1993, with the soundtrack album following in January 1994.

Thanks, halup, that's pretty much what I was trying to say.

An Cat Gav, have you listened to SHAG TOBACCO? Gavin Friday is fully capable of writing some beautiful songs, in my opinion. And YOU MADE ME THE THIEF OF YOUR HEART really does qualify as one. I really liked the Electric Irish Fiddle over the rap beat at the end, especially, and Sinead O'Connor does sing it very well. She did a great job on HEROINE for the CAPTIVE soundtrack, too.

Must confess I have never heard Shag Tobacco, I'll try and get a copy when I'm in Dublin next time.
Some of the Captive Soundtrack is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom