Was Bono's falsetto stronger on the Elevation than the Vertigo Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
Do u guys think Bono's falsetto voice was stronger on the Elevation than the Vertigo Tour? I might have been. I have been watching alot of elevation era clips lately and he use to do some great falseto work durring the intros of stuck in a moment and there is a clip of in a little while from Miami Fl where he does some realy high aaaawhoooos mucher higher and more difficult than the album track. At the irving plazza show he does some great soaring falseto during 11 o clock tick tock. I never realy heard any good confident falsetto notes on the vertigo tour (and yes i have heard the high way to hell bit but he was out of control) - bono even stoped doing falseto can YOU see the beauty inside of me note in COBL after the first 2 legs of teh vertigo tour. Maybe bono has just given up on the falseto now that he can sing in full voice easily

11 o clock - 2:40 - YouTube - U2 11 O'Clock Tick Tock , Won't Get Fooled Again

In a little while - 3:00 - YouTube - U2// In A Little While // Miami //Elevation Tour

I think Peterrr could give you a more accurate answer to your main question though....I think Bono used the falsetto more on Elevation Tour, but whenever some moments on the Vertigo Tour it sounds really strong...so not sure :shrug:

Maybe bono has just given up on the falseto now that he can sing in full voice easily

But I can assure you that Bono's falsetto is back...and much stronger right now than it was on Vertigo Tour or Elevation tour, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is stronger now than it was on Popmart tour, but we'll have to wait for album/tour to decide that.....but he has definitely not given up on the falsetto :)

A falsetto is actually "easier" singing wise, but it takes a lot of control. BUT a falsetto is much easier effected by day to day issues; dry throat, tiredness, allergies, etc that aren't as noticeable in a good full voice. So at his age and moving about I can see where his falsetto is being effected during a show, but in a controlled environment like the studio he definately still has it(i.e. Window in the Skies), and if he stays in shape he'll have it for the tour as well.

A falsetto is actually "easier" singing wise, but it takes a lot of control. BUT a falsetto is much easier effected by day to day issues; dry throat, tiredness, allergies, etc that aren't as noticeable in a good full voice. So at his age and moving about I can see where his falsetto is being effected during a show, but in a controlled environment like the studio he definately still has it(i.e. Window in the Skies), and if he stays in shape he'll have it for the tour as well.

have you heard the Happy Birthday rendition in Hyde Park? And that was a tired Bono...I expect an awesome falsetto in the future...

I have and I expect Bono(from what I've heard) is taking even bigger steps of getting in shape this time than he did in the down time from Elevation to Vertigo(which were actually pretty big).

Havent listen to the clips yet, don't want to wake up my girlfriend :) But Bono's falsetto was stronger on Vertigo tour, just listen to the Highway To Hell snippet on Vertigo from 2006-11-18 - Melbourne, WITS and "Child" on MW 2008-11-18 - Melbourne. Also the falsettos on the song Elevation on Elevation tour was pre-recorded. Wich he sang live on Vertigo tour.

I come back soon when I have listen to the clips.[/

I have and I expect Bono(from what I've heard) is taking even bigger steps of getting in shape this time than he did in the down time from Elevation to Vertigo(which were actually pretty big).

He is ? I thought he just had a vocal/singing teacher.

Falsetto ? Not what it used to be on Zoo TV or Popmart, but definitely better on Vertigo than Elevation.

What's Irving Plaza? Was that a promotional spot or an actual concert? Cos they played Wont Get Fooled Again!!! :drool:

yes, a free concert in NY, Irving Plaza for about 1,000 people...phenomenal show, reeeeally good stuff...and One featured a snippet of Walk On which I particularly liked...

that SIAMYCGOO version is without a doubt the best version I have ever seen/heard.....

11 o clock tick tock rocks, as you can see....and the best ever version of New York is also performed that night....

He is ? I thought he just had a vocal/singing teacher.

Falsetto ? Not what it used to be on Zoo TV or Popmart, but definitely better on Vertigo than Elevation.

actually...I think we will realize in the near future that his falsetto is back and even better than Popmart...judging from more recent stuff...you don't think so, U2girl?

Only bits of it on Happy birthday and one of U2.com clips (I did not listen to the newest clips).

We'll see...

Bono's falsetto was pretty crappy on the Elevation Tour (like the rest of his voice - that tour was by far the worst for it), but it had some decent moments.

I think his falsetto started to come back on the third leg (which was where the rest of his voice started improving greatly - not really a coincidence). The crazy falsetto screams on Discothèque are good examples. But it still varied night-to-night. Although his full voice wasn't quite up to the standards of the third leg on the fourth leg, his falsetto was probably better. There are some nice little falsetto bits on the São Paulo DVD, for instance.

Fifth leg, his falsetto was stronger than it had been since PopMart. They got through WITS quite well, which has Bono and Edge singing large amounts in falsetto, Mysterious Ways sounded excellent for the first time in awhile, the Highway to Hell snippet was awesome beyond words, etc. I wouldn't have expected Bono to begin singing Lemon during the fifth leg (although that would have been amazing :drool: ), but his falsetto was in good shape. Not quite up to the standards of Zoo TV or TUF, but close to Lovetown and PopMart.

Bono sounded like a bird (to continue using that tired simile) hitting his falsetto notes on the Happy Birthday song - I'd say the best performance since 1993 for his falsetto, save Your Blue Room and a few bits on PopMart. It actually reminded me a bit of Heartland. We'll see if it sticks on the tour. It very well might not, but what we've heard so far of his singing lately sounds much better than ATYCLB or Bomb.

As someone who plays around with his falsetto voice a bit, I can definitely say that the condition of a falsetto voice can change daily, depending on one's throat's conditions for the day, but I think Bono will be able to pull off some nice falsetto work throughout the next tour.

Maybe we'll even see Lemon return. :drool:

Also, I'm just now listening to that performance of Won't Get Fooled Again - nice. I can just imagine Bono singing it now, since he has much better range than he did in 2000.

Actually I'm pretty sure that bono did sing the "wohoo's" on the elevation tour along with a prerecorded backing track, but didn't flat out lip sync.

I'm pretty sure the 'wohoos' were there more for a timing/ transition thing than a "we're afraid Bono can't hit the note" thing.

Sidenote: The Irving Plaza videos are always really good to watch, but that 11 O'clock Tick Tock version is so sloooooooooowwwwwww compared to Under a Blood Red Sky version. It's almost unbearable to watch it's so much slower.

what did u guys think of the clips I posted his falsetto in IALW there is pretty good i think

Personally I think his elevation falsetto on SOME songs was stronger. The reason I think this was, is because he needed to nail the falsetto a lot more on elevation despite what people say about the backing track. Yes, in the Vertigo Tour he had instances where his falsetto completely destroyed his former self with some songs, but what has happened to his With Or Without You falsetto? that one seems weaker in the Vertigo Tour than it did in the Elevation Tour.

Other than that his falsetto is getting stronger every time, and there's no denying his voice is in the best shape ever.

Havent listen to the clips yet, don't want to wake up my girlfriend :) But Bono's falsetto was stronger on Vertigo tour, just listen to the Highway To Hell snippet on Vertigo from 2006-11-18 - Melbourne, WITS and "Child" on MW 2008-11-18 - Melbourne. Also the falsettos on the song Elevation on Elevation tour was pre-recorded. Wich he sang live on Vertigo tour.

I come back soon when I have listen to the clips.[/

i disagree i think he couldve done that in the elvation tours if he wanted to hes falsetto was very weak in vertigo i think falsetto and open voice are very different

He didn't sing much falsetto on Vertigo, but when he did, it was very good.
I think we hear some new falsetto in the latest beach clips, so maybe it will return on the new album.
If not, I won't be sad, I'm not the biggest fan of any falsetto singing.

Back
Top Bottom