Was ATYCLB recieved this well?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I can remember NO! I personally love ATYCLB but there was a hell of a lot of knockers! This place didn't go mad as it did today! Yeah I know more people are online now then 3-4 years ago, it still got slated!

I was around back then. I think we all tried to put a good face on it, but many of us were disappointed.

I didn't really like any of the songs. The only one that has really grown on me is Beautiful Day.

I like Elevation, Kite, and Walk On live, but I really don't listen to the rest that often.

I think it was well recieved but I don't think words like 'masterpiece' and such were thrown around like with this album?

I wasn't on Inteference at the time though...so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I highly doubt ATYCLB would have had the absolutely PHENOMENAL reception Hut Dab is having right now. This is how I imagine it would have been for people playing The Joshua Tree for the first time. "HOLY SHIT! This is a classic, isn't it?"

ATYCLB was welcomed with praise and a little derise. I think most people liked it initially, of course you have that segment of U2 fans that would like it if it were Bono farting for 4 mintues, but also to be fair any new U2 is going to be exciting, unless it's downright poor.

The detractors of ATYCLB were loud and remained loud, and for all intents and purpposes are still loud, it's just that it seems that there are more now than there were then. The album (ATYCLB) didn't seem to age well. Very digestable, but ultimately it was only about 5 or 6 songs strong. This is highly subjective, but I think that is a fairly accurate consensus opinion. It's a good album, maybe not as strong as their other work, considering some of the songs weren't maybe as strong. Again, this is very subjective, just putting together an opinion on what I've seen on this board over the last 4 years.

As for HTDAAB, it's too early to tell, people were praising ATYCLB too, and as I said it didn't seem to age well with a lot of people.
My guess is that HTDAAB is much much stronger on a whole for the entire fanbase. I can't really offer my opinions on the whole album, I've just downloaded the 5 songs that were already leaked in some fashion or another (have to look forward to something) so I'll wait for the official release for the other 6 tracks. And I'll be downloading Fast Cars as soon as it's available, I live in the US so I won't be getting it officially anyways.

My personal opinion is that the 5 songs I've heard from HTDAAB are far and away, clearly better than the 5 weakest tracks from ATYCLB.

But overall, I would say that ATYCLB met a lot of praise when it was leaked. I guess HTDAAB is too, it's much too early to tell.

no, it wasn't received as well as this, by a mile.

atyclb was given it's due, but this is different altogether.

I just wanted to add that I havent really read all the threads and such, so maybe I don't appreciate the extent of the lovefest that HTDAAB is receiving right now, but was just saying people loved ATYCLB a lot too.

I think a great song comparison might be WILATW> which is a good song, but could have been so much better had they maybe reworked it a little and put a better vocal track etc.

It seems as if U2 might have had a good record back in the winter '03, and went back in with Lillywhite to make it a great record. Early indications are that they succeded maybe where ATYCLB failed. That's just what it seems like at this point. I think POP got better with age, ATYCLB didn't and maybe HTDAAB is good from the start like the earlier work up until Zooropa.
Sure, that's just my take, but that's what we do on this board.

A lot of people were saying ATYCLB was their 3rd masterpiece when it leaked. But most of the time, that declaration depended upon different track listing, song deletions, additions, and what not...meaning it wasn't much of an "album," but we liked a lot of the songs.

HTDAAB doesn't have as many variables to deal with. It's a stronger album with plenty of great tunes.

I was around here when ATYCLB broke, and it WAS enthusiastic (coming as a follow up to the disappointment of Pop)...but I think it was generally acknowledged that ATYCLB was a safe "insurance-policy" kind of album, though the glorious return of soaring U2 anthems were welcomed warmly. But THIS album...who honestly expected U2 still had THIS level of artistic depth to draw from???

They should just skip the tour and KEEP MAKING ALBUMS...make 2 more albums in the next three years and then do one last super tour, come home, make one last album and quit in their early 50's. (my unsolicited advice)

I don't know about everyone here because I didn't know about this site, but I can say that while I love ATYCLB now, it didn't blow me away. This album has.

No.
I have yet to see a post saying I don't like/hate the album - and there were a few of those right away with ATYCLB.

I think U2's albums tend to get weaker in second half and have 1 or 2 songs that "kill" the album. JT hat Trip through your wires, AB had Tryin', Zooropa had Some days... and Daddy's gonna pay, POP had Miami, ATYCLB had (IMO) WILATW and Grace.

Should be interesting to see how HTDAAB deals with it.

Last edited:
well it was very well received by critics and also by fans. also on this website! especially the first couple of days everyone was pumoped, but soon a lot of people became mor critical and it got bashed quite a bit also.

having said that; htdaab is welcomed a lot better and deservingly so.
right now, when you compare both albums, it'd say only beautiful day wins it from vertigo (by far), but almost all other songs from atyclb are squashed by their equivalences (in track order) of htdaab

i can only speak for myself on this matter, because i wasn't around these parts when ATYCLB came out. i was pumped for ATYCLB, but i was a little disappointed. some of the songs grew on me, some still haven't. but then, i just really got into pop, so there's still time. :wink:

as for the bomb, i am in love. i tried to keep my expectations in check because i didn't want to be disappointed this time out, but there was no need. i am blown away. pure genius.

I was a lurker on interference back in those days, and I agree with the insurance policy description. Most everyone felt then as they do now. First half was strong, but then you got a lot of arguements about the strength of the second half. Grace, Peace on Earth, etc.

Well, I personally love ATYCLB. It's not the most exciting album like AB or HTDAAB are though. It's more in the vein of Zooropa I think. It's easy going, relaxing and uplifting. Something you can fall asleep to. I like that alot.

iota said:
I was around here when ATYCLB broke, and it WAS enthusiastic (coming as a follow up to the disappointment of Pop)...but I think it was generally acknowledged that ATYCLB was a safe "insurance-policy" kind of album, though the glorious return of soaring U2 anthems were welcomed warmly. But THIS album...who honestly expected U2 still had THIS level of artistic depth to draw from???

They should just skip the tour and KEEP MAKING ALBUMS...make 2 more albums in the next three years and then do one last super tour, come home, make one last album and quit in their early 50's. (my unsolicited advice)

The next U2 album may well not be until 2008/2009, that's a scary thought. In fact I reckon Bono and the boys willbe pushing 50 before the next one.. Sad but I think true...

I also think that this album is getting all the praise, because of the time it has taken to come out..

I remember people loving Walk On and Kite. There was debate on Elevation, due to the Woo Hoo's, and no one was completely sure on POE. However a lot of people loved IALW.

It was mad around here then, but there weren't as many younger fans as there are now. I think we were mostly happy due to the re-appearance of Edge's "old" guitar sound.

I think there was almost the same amount of positivity, but also more negativity. Too bad we don't have archives going back that far.. that would be fun.

IMO there was as much positvity around this album as it is now (this is after an album leak). However the naysayers/ negative/ critical posters of ATYCLB far outnumbered the negative posters of HTDAAB (actually I don't think I've seen many negative posters or posts at all).

With that said... IMO, its hard to have a negative opinion about a U2 or the new album on this message board without getting shouted down by people or being criticized (I guess rightfully so since this is a U2 fan board) for being overtly-critical. It gets to the point that some people just don't want to deal with people criticizing an opinion. The same happened during the ATYCLB days, etc. Unless, you're willing to troll and stick with it, it's usually not worth it to argue with a "mob."

Of course I'm sure there will be some trollish posts in the coming weeks/ months...

My personal experience of this album now and ATYCLB in the past... I was more excited back then compared to now. Don't get me wrong... I've been waiting for this album, like forever (as everyone else has) and I love the new album. However, back then, I was still getting used to the internet and downloading and junk. The idea of getting The "NEW" U2 album before it was out in stores felt pretty exciting, especially considering it came of as an "accident." Now a days getting an album before a release date is pretty ho-hum to me. My times have changed...

Last edited:
Axver, no offense meant man but i cant express how annoying hut dab is. It just remends me of Ben Eltons decision to go round the world calling Bohemian Rapsody 'Bo Rap'. HTDAAB is much nicer on the eyes. Anyway its nothing personal or anything you do write good posts its just i could'nt keep it in any longer and i'm scared people are going to start copying you and writing Hut Dab and then i'll slowly go insane.

All but a few were highly impressed with the album. Everyone ranked it as their 3rd or 4th best album (behind Joshua, Achung, and possibly War). So, all the fanfare surrounding this album is typical of every release IMO.

Personally, I thought ATYCLB was too tame upon the first listen. HTDAB sounded boring from my first listen, but perhaps when I get a high-quality download or when I buy the album, it will sound better. I love, and I mean LOVE "Vertigo", but the first listen didn't overly impress me. As with most U2, it takes about three listens before I get sold. I hope that's the case with the new one, because so far I have an empty feeling. :(

Back
Top Bottom