War2 - Please Rubin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dalton said:
So, I've been reading all the quotes that we have so far in this process (RR's quote about not U2, but U2, the edge's quote, and larry and bono's quotes) and I am quietly starting to hope that the band is going to write War2. I would love to see another album with that sort of energy and roughness.

I'd be a happy man.

Not me. WAR is U2's weakest album in my opinion. Also i dont' agree with peopel who think HTDAAB is broinga nd waterd down. I don't think it's anything like ATYCLB. HTDAAB to me is U2's 2rd maybe 2nd best album. If they were to build on that I'd be more than happy. at least that would be progress and not going backwards. If u2 is ever to go back to their own early 80's work for inspiration I hope it's Boy or October. Not WAR.

Last edited:
I cant follow this thread... though I do agree with whoever said they just want a 'GREAT album'.

yes, please. I dont care if they draw from the beatles, kanye, or monty python. just let it be an album full of great music...

vaz02 said:

They are all old ground, u2 aint pushing boundaries with a album similar to war so why not do another easy going album ?

Then why don't we just call the new album Boy #12

Where is that Rick Rubin quote on U2? :confused:

War is a very good album, but I don't see U2 getting so aggressive at this time in their career.

Dalton said:

See son, what you need to understand (and you will...) is that 'new' doesn't equal good.

Remember if U2 tried to reinvent themselves after every album there wouldn't be any Sunday Bloody Sunday's, New Years Day's, Where the Streets have no name, WOWY, or Stay.

I'm all for change. My favorite U2 albums are their biggest leaps from previous albums. But I don't see how U2 pimping themselves out to young fans like you who 'need' change is any different than them pimping themselves out to older fans who want their U2 back.

I just want the band to put out a GREAT album.

"OLD" doesn't equal "GOOD" either.

I couldn't manage reading this entire thread
did anyone by any chance mention "pushing their own boundries"
because that's another cliche that makes me want to break my skull with a frank zappa cd

I think if U2 will ever soudn anywhere near their first 3 albums then Rubin (though I do only know little of his work in the end) could be the man to deliver this

To me, U2's music has to feel honest, inspired and memorable (i.e. good fucking songs) to make me feel that it has their trademark magic. (They've pulled this off on most albums...less so on the last album.) The music doesn't necessarily have to be a certain "style" and it doesn't have to be cutting edge for the sake of cutting edge.

I'm mostly into indie rock, but one of my all-time favorite albums in the history of music is John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band (with "God," "Mother," etc.). Lennon had just come off of seven years of being part of the most creative, new, cutting-edge, and basically out-there musical output in the history of humanity, but here he was with a solo album that was very simple in its arrangements and aesthetic, but also very honest, inspired, heart-wrenchingly memorable. It is magic.

U2 has it in them to be just as magical, without over reaching to fit anyone's expectations of them as always reinventing themselves as something "new."
------

P.S. Salome, you're funny!

Last edited:
Damn, now I will have to unsubscribe from this thread since I just posted in it.

I think U2's best album hasn't been made. But nor do I think we'll see it anytime soon. Their greatest work will be delivered sometime in their late 60s or early 70s. I kid you not.

U2 wont be around for more then 3 more albums mark my word on that....I have been one that have been telling people U2 wont retire in the 90s but I think we are getting closer to their retirement now with each passing year whether people here want to admit that or not.

I will be extremely surprised if they go on after 15 years' time from now - I don't see them writing and touring after they're 60.

People didn't see U2 writing and touring in their late 40s, either. It's all a matter of perspective. The Stones sure didn't think they'd be. Now look at them!

I actually don't think we will see U2 officially "retire". What does that mean? That they won't make music together ever again? That's not going to happen. U2 may take a hiatus for several years - maybe even a decade or more. But one day they will get the itch again. And that could very well be when they are much older. Just look at what Johnny Cash did and The Who.

Yahweh said:
I have been one that have been telling people U2 wont retire in the 90s but I think we are getting closer to their retirement now with each passing year whether people here want to admit that or not.
I would even dare to say that even back in the 80's U2 got closer to retirement every year

that's the one thing U2 and I have in common
we have been getting closer to our retirement every year since we've been conceived :up:

U2 shouldn't retire. When they feel it's time to retire, they should just stop touring. Be like the Beatles. Just use the studio. Albums would come out much quicker then without two years of supporting tour and a year off to recover, write, and record a new album.

U2 will retire and stop making albums within the next 7 years but they have given us many albums worth of memories.

Yahweh said:
U2 will retire and stop making albums within the next 7 years but they have given us many albums worth of memories.

Hi Paul McGuiness. Welcome to interference.

haha, I find all these pseudo omnicient declarations of how the band WILL retire "sooner than later", etc, quite hilarious. The fact is, none of us know if and when they will retire. But if we are to go on anything the band has said, if they do retire it will only be because they have nothing left to say and aren't enjoying making music anymore. And I find that hard to see happening with the people who make up U2. Further, Bono has repeatedly said that U2 is like a gang - one which you can't get out of alive. I don't see bands like U2 "retiring". I can see them slowing down, maybe even stop touring one day for a while.... but they will always want to make music again at some point. It's not really something they can just turn off. And they will tell you they aren't interested in solo careers. They know they aren't half as good on their own as together.

I'm not sure Bono's voice or Larry's wrists will allow them to keep going and going.
And touring at 60 definitely won't be easier than now, when they're in their 40s. And if they stop touring, they might as well call it quits. U2 not playing live = not U2 anymore.

Bono's voice has changed over the years. He simply adapts to a different singing style, and the music molds to the adaptation.

If U2 stops touring for a while, which they will likely do, I don't see it as an end to U2. My guess is they will "go away for a very long while and dream it all up again, once again." Even if they stop making music for 10 or 15 years, they will likely get the itch to be creative again. This could spur on their greatest album ever. At which time they might do one more tour.

Call me unsentimental, but I am not one of those U2 fans who thinks they will announce their last gig and last song EVER, and go out playing '40' or something like that. For a band all about possibilities, I don't think they'd ever box themselves into a corner like that.

Last edited:
I don't want to hear "rebel" songs. I know that U2's political songs are coming out as cheesy preaching now (ala "Where is the love?") Raw is fine to a point, though I feel that War is very overrated.

shart1780 said:
Raw is fine to a point, though I feel that War is very overrated.

Ah, my guess is that based on that statement you were not around when War came out. War is not overrated, it is not as good as Joshua Tree or AB or even UF or ATYCLB, but it is not overrated.

War came out during a time when 'Pop' music was very 'middle of the road' as far as politics were concerned. U2 brought back the 'protest rock' of the 60's and early 70's. It was also an album were the guitar was up front in mix the age where keyboards and synthesizers dominated the Top of the Pops/Top 40. U2 was still consider "New Wave" when War came out so it radically different than what we were used to.

It gave U2 their first "big" hits and propelled them to new heights both in the charts and on the concert circuit.

I'd be very happy if we got something similar to (but not a copy of) War. That was a hard hitting, hard edged album and any band would be happy to call it their own. Not to say it shines all the way through, but it is definitely not overrated.

Back
Top Bottom