War vs UF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:

What about Zooropa? Zooropa is a very atmospheric record.

True, that's my 2nd choice on the "U2 ATMOSPHERIC RECORDS LZOL!" list:

1a. Passengers
1b. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Zooropa
3. The Joshua Tree
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (barely any subtlety on that record)

War any day of the fuckin week. Favorite U2 album of all time. Unrivaled aggression and intensity.

UF. War has a lot of rockin tunes, but I get tired of listening to the whole album. For me, UF has a more interesting feel to it

UF, totally. War is a very good collection of songs, but put UF on, and it takes over the day.

War is my favourite album so I guess I'm biased on this one.

I don't really rank UF, like top 5-10 or whatever. My top 5/6 is pretty solid, the other albums are in the category, "what mood am I feeling like today?"

Aside from 4 or 5 songs in the album, UF bores me. So much. I'm trying to listen to it again to see if I can pick up on what makes it so great, and I can't. :shrug:

At least the title track is :drool:

I'm too lazy to point out any reasoning for it other than I like it better. UF is much better than WAR in my opinion. War is possibly the worst(if there's such a term regarding U2 material) U2 album and in my opinion it's by far the most overrated U2 album.

At this moment, I'd have to go with War. I think it's a truly brilliant album, there isn't a track that I don't like.

Don't get me wrong, I love UF as well.. but for now, I'd have to pick War :love:

WAR for me.

War has arguably the best five opening tracks of any album (except maybe JT). The whole album has an edge to it that is just irresistible.

New Year's Day is one of my top 5 U2 songs.

Wire and Indian Summer Sky haven't grown on me, and Elvis is a train wreck (just my personal preferences). Otherwise it's a beautiful 'coming of age' album.

I think The Unforgettable Fire blows War out of the water. In my opinion, both albums fall down a little in the second half, but overall The Unforgettable Fire has a much better feel to it and I always enjoy listening to it. The album just feels like one track to me. It's just amazing how much Eno and Lanois were able to change the sound of U2 in little over a year.

War has this very in-your-face attitude, and while I love it for its more rockier tracks, I find it's probably my least listened to album. As Screwtape said, The Unforgettable Fire is timeless, and to me will not sound one bit dated in 10 years. But that said, War is a terrific album too.

A track-by-track versus is too hard anyway. Sunday Bloody Sunday vs A Sort of Homecoming? New Year's Day vs Wire? Like a Song... vs The Unforgettable Fire? Far too hard.

The Unforgettable Fire is a peaceful journey while War is a violent struggle. Both are great in both regards. But I definitely dig The Fire a lot more.

War, because i still think its their second best (boy and bomb being my joint favourite) album to date. How can any album beat war, when it has sunday bloody sunday on it? All that fury, all that passion..to me, thats what u2 is about. Plus it was their best tour.

partygirlvox said:
War, because i still think its their second best (boy and bomb being my joint favourite) album to date. How can any album beat war, when it has sunday bloody sunday on it? All that fury, all that passion..to me, thats what u2 is about. Plus it was their best tour.

How can War beat The Fire, when it's got "Bad" on it? Plus, there's no backwords recording magic a la Elvis Presley. Ok, I was sorta joking there.

ozeeko said:

How can War beat The Fire, when it's got "Bad" on it? Plus, there's no backwords recording magic a la Elvis Presley. Ok, I was sorta joking there.

Yes, but I think Bono has the best voice when he sung NYD on that album:drool: That's my favorite song recorded...

I still wonder what was going through Eno's mind when he said that Elvis Presley and America was finished...it sounds as Bono is drifting in and out of consciesness (spelling?). Definitely b-side material. But then I spose, you get the arguments about the flow so its probably critical to the album like Is That All? is to October.

Definitely UF. One of my favourite U2 albums and one of the few I'm still able to stomach. Edge's guitars are beautiful. The album feels like an album, not just a mish mash of songs. Great to listen to on night drives. I never liked War all that much. Plus, it comes from that little era where U2's musical ideas were far from original.

Unforgettable Fire is lined up with Achtung as my favourites, with only a more personal connection with Achtung pushing it ahead.
So, clearly, my vote goes with Unforgettable Fire. Why? It's fucking incredible.

UF by many miles. I consider it my overall favorite album (by any artist, ever).

Back
Top Bottom