War Appreciation Thread......... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:52 AM
War Appreciation Thread.........

I am still in shock after reading somebody say that they hate War in another thread, anyway War is my fave U2 album and I guess that I just want to know that I am not alone in my love of this album and I mean fanatical love- I just love this album sooooo much, every song on it is just gorgeous and it reminds me so much of 1993 as this is when I got into this album which was also the year that I first saw U2 live in concert, so in a way the whole ZooTV era actually reminds me of the War album, I remember playing Surrender and Seconds over and over again so many times- anyway where are all the other War lovers, please leave your opinions here

oh and do the poll too, please

I forgot to put the poll in, anyway just state what your fave song is from this masterpiece of an album, my vote goes to surrender

Old 06-13-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:52 PM
It's never been a favorite of mine, but any album that produced the greatest U2 song of all time, Two Hearts Beat as One, is okay in my book!

Old 06-13-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Ah man! ignore those who hate it or say its over-rated.
How can you hate the album that has the best, uncut version of new years day?!?!?
40 in itself is a wonder of a u2 song that gives me chills everytime.

Two Hearts Beat as One is a classic.

The only song on it that had to be an aquired taste was Refugee.
the intro just irked me a lot by once it gets going its cool.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:35 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:52 PM

[color=royal blue]"War" has a few good songs on it, but as a whole album, I personally don't like it. But this thread is not for that! I apologize...

CHEERS for "Two Hearts" and "40"!

Say I'm a fool
You say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something

I think that's the sweetest thing
[/color]
Old 06-13-2002, 06:56 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Believe me or not OzAurora, when I read that post in SkeeKīs poll Most Overrated Album bashing War I thought of you. I tend to have a good memory and I do remember a very beautiful post you wrote once about War.

That said I woulnīt say itīs my fave, because in fact itīs not. But I do recognize some of the best U2 anthems came from War, the obvious ones being SBS and New Years Day. I absolutely love Two Heart Beat as One (although I prefer the remix from SBS single) and Drowning Man. I see nothing wrong with Refugee, I like the martial drums in that song. War is definitely Larryīs album. And of course it contains the best closer ever...40.
But...it also contains the only U2 song I could say I dislike...you got it, itīs Red Light. I gave up on that one already, LOL

Old 06-13-2002, 07:08 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:52 PM
War is my third favorite U2 album, after The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. How can anyone hate an album that contains Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and 40, not to mention Two Hearts Beat as One, Seconds and Drowning Man? I love the way the songs fit together to create a unified whole. The placement of the songs is perfect, with SBS as the opener and 40 as the closer. This album is as powerful an anti-war statement as anything ever released in the 1960s. It's an incredible achievement for a bunch of guys in their early 20s.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:17 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:52 PM
The other night I heard New Year's Day on the radio when I was driving, I was so excited! So I went home and listened to War. It had been awhile.

I love that album. It's U2 at their sterotypical best. Young, loud, political, ready for the world... It's a fabulous album. It's also my thrid favorite behind Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:29 PM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Wow...I remember when I first became a U2 fan, back when I was 13...first album I heard was R&H...then I got JT...then I went to buy my 3rd U2 album. I went to the store, and I found Zooropa and War. I couldn't decide, so I bought both of them. I listened to Zooropa first, and then I listened to War...and I discovered what contrasting albums they were! *lol* After having mellowed out to "The Wanderer", SBS hit me hard! Such raw passion! That's how the entire album struck me. I still love it so much. I listened to it once...and started to listen to it again when my dad came into my room. He asked me if I'd bought a U2 CD. I told him I actually bought two, and he got mad and said I should be saving money, blah, blah, blah...but then he stopped and said, "Hey! Isn't this 'New Years Day'? I love this song!" *lol* So Dad sat and listened to the rest of the song with me and forgot to finish his lecture on money.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-13-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
Kid A

"Surrender" is in the top 10 maybe even the top 5 for most under-rated U2 songs

"Seconds" has one of the best basslines of any U2 song

"40" is the tied with "Love is Blindness" as the best album closer

but I hate "The Refugee" and "Red Light," the presence of those two songs on the album keep War from ranking among my top 5 U2 albums, because they are really the only two U2 songs that I absolutely abhor, oh well...
Old 06-13-2002, 11:28 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 11:52 AM
I liked what you had to say about Surrender Wanderer and I thoroughly agree with you- the guitar in that song is amazing and I love the chorus at the end with the female voices......

and I can never understand why so many people dont like both red light and the refugee, now I know that they are not the stand out tracks on the album but they are not bad, not by a long shot, I guess I never follow trends or go with norm as I used to always wonder why so many people used to dislike Trip through your wires from J-tree, I thought it was a great song and then was so amazed as to how many people did not like it- anyway......
Old 06-14-2002, 04:02 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:52 PM
i love war!

I love War, how on earth could anyone hate it! It's not my fav album, but it's definately in my top three. New Years Day is one of U2's best songs, not to mention SBS, seconds, two hearts beat as one, and 40. My least favorite song on there is surrender, but i still like it. I've liked the song refugee from the first time i heard it, i guess it's the energy in it.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:11 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:52 AM
War should be considered a great album just for the fact that it contains Drowning Man.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:13 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda
War should be considered a great album just for the fact that it contains Drowning Man.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:48 AM   #14
The Fly

I love War, it was my first U2 record and still my favorite.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:07 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

War's release vaulted U2 from a band I liked to my favorite band, surpassing The Who. I was 18 when it was released, and it has been my favorite album since.
As for underrrated U2 songs..."Like a Song" is tops on my list.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:34 AM   #16
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Ignore...I have a better idea....

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-14-2002, 11:54 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 12:52 AM
SBS, NYD and Two Hearts are among U2's greatest songs.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:58 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

War is a great album. I love it! Personally, I don't think I could use the words "hate" and "U2" in the same sentence ever, except if it was something to the effect of, "I hate when people say they hate things about U2!"
Old 06-14-2002, 01:12 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 12:52 AM
War was the first U2 album I bought, in 1994, at the age of 15, though it wasn't the first U2 album I was exposed to--that was JT, my brother had it. It was a top three U2 album for me for a long time, though perhaps not any more. I'm not sure. I would have to say that New Year's Day is my favourite but I dearly love SBS, Seconds, LIke a Song, Two Hearts, and 40. I like all the songs, though Refugee is my least favourite. I really like Red Light and I have always been at a lost to understand why it is so utterly despised. I do have to say, though, that I've never liked Drowning Man nearly as much as I feel I "should." It's never moved me all that deeply, though the lyrics are wonderful.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:21 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
War's release vaulted U2 from a band I liked to my favorite band, surpassing The Who. I was 18 when it was released, and it has been my favorite album since.
As for underrrated U2 songs..."Like a Song" is tops on my list.
The Who was my favorite band before U2 too! Oh, and it was during the War tour that I noticed and fell in love with U2!