War and October remastered details bonus disc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm REALLY looking forward to the Achtung Baby bonus disc. That has a lot of potential as they recorded a lot of material for that album. I just hope we don't end up with a bunch of Hansa session demos that most of us already have on bootleg.

I'll be really worried just before they release the tracklisting for AB. This has a chance to blow my mind clean off of my shoulders! I would really love some of those Hansa demos in great quality, I would much prefer this to a live show from an already circulating soundboard, which seems pretty much par for the course... I wonder why they only choose to release stuff that is already circulating in SBD quality, other than ease?

Just out of interest do you think that anybody in the U2 camp has any idea about what is circulating in SBD quality? Obviously they know that probably every show is taped and bootlegged, but I wonder if there's anybody in U2's management that has any idea that the Paris 87 show, for example, was already out there on Bootleg DVD...

so... for all 3.. hell.. just between BOY and OCTOBER... we have 5 I Will Follows....

and EDGE was in charge of this? :grumpy:

What else did you people expect. October barely got recorded and War was being finished at the last minute with Bono "making up" 40 with seconds left. Of course there isn't a lot of extra material.

Is the song on the end of the October bonus disc just the re-recorded version? Or a remix of the re-recorded version?

Secondly, the October disc lacks that awesome eerie synth mix of "October"...for shame!

Thirdly, don't get your hopes up for AB. That album had more than enough b-side tracks and remixes. The entire bonus disc will be filled to the brim with that material and you'll be lucky to have an unfinished track or two. :pray:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by the bonus stuff (particularly the umpteen NYD remixes - say what, now?), but am still looking forward to getting them all the same.

The bonus material I have on MP3 already ... well, as an obsessive collector, I'd prefer to have the real thing instead of an MP3, so that's a good thing. And I certainly want to hear the remastered albums, so overall? Yay.

The War bonus disc is disappointing but also sets the multiple remix of the same song precedent unfortunately which really puts a black cloud over the potential AB bonus disc. You could easily fill a 2nd disc with all the remixes of EBTTRT, MW, The Fly and WGRYWH unfortunately.

The War bonus disc is a bit disappointing, but luckily most of the mixes seem to be dating from that period so I guess I'm pretty content with it, though I was also hoping for some more previously unreleased stuff.

The October release excites me the most since it's my favourite U2 record and I want to hear those songs live in good quality. I'm also very happy with all the b-sides. :drool:

Be There would have been nice though...

Isn't it a bit odd that we keep talking about bonus discs, even though we have to pay for them all the same? :lol:

Because I'm thinking of the broader market here, not bootleg collectors. The majority of people buying this remaster would not own 30/05/83 or 20/08/83. It makes the shows much more readily - and officially - accessible to all fans who want to hear them.

I would disagree for the most part. The people going after the bonus disc are typically the bigger fans. Do all of them have the live material already. No, but most of those same people don't really care about the track listing like you do either. They see something new and say cool. Thats my point. The people complaining about every little detail are the diehards. Not the casual fan. So this track listing isn't going to have much effect on them either way. Its us diehards that are effected for the most part. So, like I said, most diehards have access to all of the live material already. Especially with the internet, you can just go to a site and download it if you want it for free. So adding a show most of us that are diehards already have isn't better than some remixes we don't already have to me.

Valid points. The only part I disagree with is the availability of the live material. Yes, some of it might be available in very good quality already, but it's not going to compare to an officially released and remastered version. It would be the best quality of the live material by far, so releasing it as either a complete show or, at the very least, in some sort of logical order that was reflective of how that tour went would have been a better idea, I think.

Both discs basically suck. A disc's worth New Years Day mixes and a bootleg you could get for free? Phail.

Both discs basically suck. A disc's worth New Years Day mixes and a bootleg you could get for free? Phail.

:yes:

I mentioned this during the lead up to the JT remaster, that I don't think every album should get the special edition treatment. There just isn't enough material :shrug:

:yes:

I mentioned this during the lead up to the JT remaster, that I don't think every album should get the special edition treatment. There just isn't enough material :shrug:

There would be if, as several have stated in this thread, they released demos and in progress versions of songs. Now that would be truly interesting. Additionally we know there are songs like Be There that they've left off.

I don't really agree with your argument that there isn't enough (release worthy) material. There certainly is for October and probably for War too.

For October, I want it to include at least all the B-sides and other vinyl-only stuff:
- J. Swallo
- I Will Follow (Live from Boston)
- The Cry/The Electric Co. (Live from Boston)
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Live from Boston)
- The Ocean (Live from Boston)
and oh, also throw in:
- Out Of Control (Live from Boston)
- Stories For Boys (Live from Boston)
as those were released on The Sweetest Thing single (but are from that same concert, and OOC was even a B-side to the US IWF single in 1981)
plus:
- I Will Follow (Live from Hattem, a separate single in 1982)
- A Celebration
- Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl

Then we have the War material:
- Treasure
- Fire (Live from Werchter)
- I Threw A Brick.../A Day Without Me (Live from Werchter)
- New Year's Day (US Remix)
- Two Hearts Beat As One (US Remix)
- Two Hearts Beat As One (Club Mix)
- Endless Deep

Of the previously released War material, the live songs fit chronologically better on the October bonus disc. So then basically you are left with some remixes and 2 B-sides for War.
They might've reasoned that they don't want to have 2 consecutive bonus discs with such a heavy focus on live material. I don't really agree with that point of view though.
Still, as far a previously released, but currently quite hard to get and not always available on CD, material goes, they've covered most of it. So the bonus discs aren't bad, they just could've been even better.

There would be if, as several have stated in this thread, they released demos and in progress versions of songs. Now that would be truly interesting. Additionally we know there are songs like Be There that they've left off.

I doubt their demos of that time would be worth a listen...

And have we ever established when Be There was actually recorded? I've heard three different stories.

I don't really agree with your argument that there isn't enough (release worthy) material. There certainly is for October and probably for War too.

Yes, but most of that is still live material. :shrug:

A studio album special edition should really deserve studio songs, plus there isn't much remastering to do with live recordings from back then...

For October, I want it to include at least all the B-sides and other vinyl-only stuff:
- J. Swallo
- I Will Follow (Live from Boston)
- The Cry/The Electric Co. (Live from Boston)
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Live from Boston)
- The Ocean (Live from Boston)
and oh, also throw in:
- Out Of Control (Live from Boston)
- Stories For Boys (Live from Boston)
as those were released on The Sweetest Thing single (but are from that same concert, and OOC was even a B-side to the US IWF single in 1981)
plus:
- I Will Follow (Live from Hattem, a separate single in 1982)
- A Celebration
- Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl

Then we have the War material:
- Treasure
- Fire (Live from Werchter)
- I Threw A Brick.../A Day Without Me (Live from Werchter)
- New Year's Day (US Remix)
- Two Hearts Beat As One (US Remix)
- Two Hearts Beat As One (Club Mix)
- Endless Deep

Of the previously released War material, the live songs fit chronologically better on the October bonus disc. So then basically you are left with some remixes and 2 B-sides for War.
They might've reasoned that they don't want to have 2 consecutive bonus discs with such a heavy focus on live material. I don't really agree with that point of view though.
Still, as far a previously released, but currently quite hard to get and not always available on CD, material goes, they've covered most of it. So the bonus discs aren't bad, they just could've been even better.

:up: well put, I agree completely. I would have liked more, but what is coming out is still good to me. After all they didn't even have to release the bonus material. They could have just done the remastered album only. Now THAT would be disappointing to me.

Back
Top Bottom