Walking down the aisle, bono's singing... which song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elevated_u2_fan said:

Well I don't think I would get married to Sunday Bloody Sunday or Big Girls Are Best - unless I wanted to die in front of my wedding guests :uhoh: ...

I should have said "since when did THESE songs" ie in the context of the songs being discussed...silly me :)

(PS - SBS at a wedding...been there, done that. :wink: )

Everlasting love or Unchained melody if you don't mind U2 covers.

Promenade or AIWIY for their own material. Any chance for Two hearts beat as one or is that too upbeat ?

Party girl ? :wink:

Last edited:
maybe an instrumental or string quartet version of AIWIY?

an excerpt from "U2 into the heart - the story behind every U2 song":

"All i want is you" is a love song and Bono doesn't usually talk about these things - but on this occasion he does. "That's clearly about a younger version of myself and my relationship with Ali," he reflects. "That's a song about commitment, really. I don't think being married to someone is so easy, really. But I'm interested in the idea of marraige. I think it's a madness but it's a grand madness. If people think it's normal, they're out of their minds. I think that's why a lot of people fall apart, beacuse they're not prepared for what it is. Once they've made that commitment, they think that's the end of it, now they can rest easy."

and on The First Time"

"It's about losing your fath," Bono adds. "I haven't lost my faith. I've a great deal of faith. But that song expresses that moment a lot of people feel."

That drunken karaoke version of Party Girl.

A sign of the party come. A brilliant segue from ceremony to Hedonism.

U1 said:
My girlfriend and I are about to prepare our wedding for next year, and among a lot of issues, we face a u2 related problem: the choice of the song when she'll be walking down the aisle. We already know the one when we'll be walking out ( feeling good by muse, I first told her I loved her on that one so we can't do any other way ) but for the entry, we hesitate between All I want is you ( her favorite ) and The first time ( mine ). Lyricswise, they both more or less match the occasion. Before we were listening to the very beginning of All I want is you and it clearly sounds right but I'm still hooked on The first time so...
If anyone is wishing to help me here...
What would you choose or ( what have you chosen ) ? ( It could be a different song! )

I'm getting married in a month. We're doing U2 as the entrance to the reception. As others mentioned, I jokingly suggested ISHFWILF.. But really Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of would do the trick too.

I really great one would be that beach clip, "All my life I've been waiting for the moment I'm in" but the sound qual sucks. Too bad that wasn't released in place of Windows. Speaking of, you could go with either Windows or Beautiful Day. Otherwise given the subject matter Bono traditionally used when it came to love songs, I would stay far away from U2 I'm afraid.

Last thing you want to do is walk down the aisle to All I Want Is You and the "All The Promises We Break" line comes over the speakers. Or how about "I'm losing you, ain't love the Sweetest Thing."

Love is Blindness is too dark.
One is too brotherhoody.
With or Without You? That's inappropriate
Love Rescue Me (from what? your wedding?)
Hawkmoon's too desperate

How about Numb? Ha.

Zoo Station? I'm ready, ready for what's next...

Interesting comment about With or Without You...I wouldn't ever use it as a 'first dance' or 'walk down the aisle' but recently at a wedding we did we allowed the bride and groom to choose the setlist entirely, and they didn't want WOWY. When it came time for the performance, we did the songs they wanted, but their guests demanded WOWY at the end, and it easily turned into the biggest song of the night. Same thing happened at another wedding I sang solo at, they didn't want it, but the guests demanded it and they ended up loving it.

My thought was that anyone who thinks WOWY is inappropriate for a wedding hasn't been married...give em a year or so of married life and they'll get it completely! :lol:

:wink:

snowlock: i have an instrumental cover version that am22884 did, if you (or someone you know) would want to put vocals to it, then you could probably use it! email me if you want it inocntgrl012@yahoo.com
the lyrics of the song match perfectly for a wedding-y moment
congrats, btw!! =)

gabrielvox: hahaha yeah, U2 even said themselves that WOWY is a highly misunderstood song, right up there witn the Police's "I'll Be Watching You"

I'd go with AIWIY, The First Time and Promenade would also work. I'd also have WOWY played at reception, maybe not so much for Bride & Groom or 1st dance, etc., but because so many people fans and non fan based relate that song to U2 or have heard it.

Beautiful Day, as Gabriel said, is probably the best choice, as it is saying, "everything could be going wrong but i'm still alright."

I had IALW just before exchanging the rings.
The gospel sound was perfect in the church.
Almost none of the guests knew the song, but several told me to have listen to it continously since.

Back
Top Bottom