Walk On..Two Versions? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebony

Babyface
I'm sure that it's in 'Walk on', where Bono goes into a few lines of something thats sounds like 'Alay, alay..alay alayyyy'. But the few times I've tried downloading it, it doesn't have that. Can anyone help me out? Was that an album only version or a special radio edit? I really want to find it, it's driving me mad! Thanks!

There's actually another single version of walk on with a shorter guitar solo and some other changes as well. That version came out because U2 decided to release different songs as singles in different parts of the world at the same time. if that makes sense. so there's the album version, the single version, and the hallelujah version (which is the one you are looking for that was released to radio sometime after 9/11). The Hallelujah version is also on the U2 EP called "7".

Last edited:
There's actually 4 versions going around:

1. album version ("and love is not the easy thing" opening, guitar, "home, that's where the hurt is" verse, ends with "all that you...")
2. single version (no "and love" opening, piano, no "home" verse, ends with "hallelujahs")
3. hallelujah mix ("and love" opening, piano, "hallelujahs")
4. video version (everything from the album version except the "all that you" ending, slightly remixed)

You can't beat the opening piano chords and Larry''s drums kicking in in the single version, IMO.

I'm kind of partial to the album version myself.

The Barry White opening is just great :lol:

Ahh, you are right. What I was calling the single version is really the video version...which has a slight edit in the guitar solo. As far as I can tell, the single version is a completely new recording of the song than the album/video versions....with hallelujahs and no guitar solo. The single version is the one on "7" but it has your hallelujahs.

I know what you're saying about Larry's drum Canadien's, but can your really beat Edge's guitar kick-in in the single version? Very rock 'n' roll.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm kind of partial to the album version myself.

The Barry White opening is just great :lol:

Annd Luvvv... :lol: You're right, it is very Barry White. Speaking of Barry, isn't he dead? Here in Canada, I think companies like Subway are using Barry clones to sell their products.

*completely derails thread*

Walk On.....:wink:

angelordevil said:

Annd Luvvv... :lol: You're right, it is very Barry White. Speaking of Barry, isn't he dead? Here in Canada, I think companies like Subway are using Barry clones to sell their products.

*completely derails thread*

Walk On.....:wink:

yes, Barry White has passed :sad:

the voice of love for a whole generation.

My main goal in life is to someday do the do while a Barry White song is playing, nothing else.

LemonMacPhisto said:

My main goal in life is to someday do the do while a Barry White song is playing, nothing else.

:lol:

Edit: "You're hilarious, Lemon," he said, in a distinct baritone voice.

Last edited:
I was looking around U2Wanderer earlier, The Walk On Promo includes 10 versions. :crack:

* Walk On (Radio Edit) (4:23)
* Walk On (Album Version) (4:55)
* Walk On (Remix) (4:24)
* Walk On (Video Version) (4:28)
* Walk On (Single Version) (4:11)
* Walk On (The Hallelujah Mix) (3:58)
* Walk On (Single Version Edit) (4:08)
* Walk On (Nigel Goodrich Mix)
* Walk On (Bright EQ'ed Version)
* Walk On (Steve Lillywhite Video Version)

neutral said:
Was looking around U2Wanderer earlier, The Walk On Promo includes 10 versions. :crack:

That's a lot of promotion. I knew when it came out, it felt like they were really trying to push the song. In Canada, I think it still gets the second-most airplay from ATYCLB.

Wow, I want that.

I actually like the album version alot more than the single version. I like the way Bono sings better, plus the guitar solo and bridge and stuff. Just alot better IMO.

I was watching the Vertigo DVD last night and I remember there being a "Halle, Halle, Hallelujah" part in a song but I don't recall which one....I know Walk On is not on there....perhaps Running to Standstill?

WalkOn21 said:

My copy of "7" actually clearly states Walk On (Single version). No word about it being the Hallelujah mix.

You should have noticed that I corrected myself above your post.

Bono'sTyee said:
I was watching the Vertigo DVD last night and I remember there being a "Halle, Halle, Hallelujah" part in a song but I don't recall which one....I know Walk On is not on there....perhaps Running to Standstill?

Or Running to Stand Still, even.

;)

Bono'sTyee said:

It should be noted that Bono first did hallelujahs in RTSS back during ZooTV, so it predates Walk On.

XHendrix24 said:

Or Running to Stand Still, even.

;)

Thank you, I'm glad someone said that. "Running To Standstill" doesn't even make sense! It seems the Vertigo era has been characterised by mistaken versions of older song names - just think of U2.com's "Pride in the name of love". I don't have that song on any of my albums ...

My very favourite version of Walk On (just to add to the list) is the one they performed live on the Tribute to Heroes program. Very raw and emotional, and the hallelujahs at the end were tremendously moving.

You have the Tomb Raider mix on your 7 CD? I have the Elevation Tour intro mix (whatever that is called).

Bono'sTyee said:
True, but those are other hallelujas.

RTS: Halle, Halle. Halleluuujah.
Walk On: Halle, Halleeeeeee, Halle, Haleeeee-luuhuujah.

:wink:

Well bloody nora,

I'd assumed that the UK single release was the same as the US one, but after listening to my Cd's last night, clearly not.!!!!

The ONLY version that matters is the Single version with that piano open. It completely blows the album version out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom