Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2...Is anybody paying attention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
I finally got a copy of this book by Steve Stockman and have only read the forward by Steve Beard so far but am already blown away by how much it says the things I have always believed. I would love to discuss further with people who are reading the book!

Here's two remarkable quotes from the forward and one from Stocki:

"For more than tweny years, U2 has done their part to puncture the power of nihilism and hopelessness by pointing listeners to a transcendent reality of heaven, hell, angels, demons, deliverance, redemption, grace and peace. Their lyrics unfold a world beyond the things that can be merely seen and rationally grasped. The music is not a simplistic mish-mash of yummy lyrics about skipping with Jesus through fields of daisies. Instead, their songs wrestle with pain and frustration and without catering to hopelessness."

(written to his--Bono's--father): "(God) gives us the strengt and a joy that does not depend on drink or drugs. This strength, will, I believe, be the quality that will take us to the top fo the music business. I hope our lives will be a testament to the people who follow us, and to the music business where never before have so many lost and sorrowful people gathered in one place pretending they're having a good time. It is our ambition to make more than good music."

From Steve Stockman at Stocki.ni.org:

It has saddened me and frustrated me and indeed whipped me into a rage that many have missed the message, ignored the impact and even more than that looked for way to condemn and judge their faith rather than embrace and support it. It reminds me of Flannery O?Connor?s words in Wise Blood;

?The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that all seemed to be moving very slowly as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all time to complete. NO ONE WAS PAYING ATTENTION TO THE SKY.?

Debbie, I JUST picked the book up last night and have only read a bit so far, but I'm really digging it. I've read some of Stockman's work on the band before, even used him as a reference when I did a theology project on U2. So, I'm looking forward to it. Even thinking about giving a copy to my parents so they can get an idea of what excites me about this band so much.

Debbie and Sula, I would LOVE to discuss this with you!!! I will be getting my own copy any day now from Amazon...can you wait a few days till I've read some of it as well?? I've been looking forward to this one for a looong time. From everything I've read, Steve Stockman seems to be a really great guy who truly loves and admires U2.

I've put a LOT of thought into U2 and their spiritual beliefs, how they compare to my own, and how U2's music has had such an impact on my own spiritual life, how they have helped to bring me back the the path I want for myself. (sorry tangent!)

Sula, would love to talk to you about your life too (as my bro is a missionary in Russia), so if you guys want so do like, a weekly "book club" chat or email or whatever, count me in!
smile.gif

I bet Bonovoix would like to be in on this too...anyone else?

Disco

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
I finally got a copy of this book by Steve Stockman and have only read the forward by Steve Beard so far but am already blown away by how much it says the things I have always believed.

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-19-2001).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Sula, would love to talk to you about your life too (as my bro is a missionary in Russia), so if you guys want so do like, a weekly "book club" chat or email or whatever, count me in!
smile.gif

I'm always available by email (check my profile) and I'm happy to answer any questions about my previous life. lol. Sounds like reincarnation. haha.

Anyways, count me in for whatever it is you end up doing.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Debbie, I JUST picked the book up last night and have only read a bit so far, but I'm really digging it. I've read some of Stockman's work on the band before, even used him as a reference when I did a theology project on U2. So, I'm looking forward to it. Even thinking about giving a copy to my parents so they can get an idea of what excites me about this band so much.

Cool! I'm just starting to learn about Stockman, he's a Presbyterian as am I. He seems to have appreciated U2's Christian influence from the start and uses their example in his ministry, which is amazing.

There is as much that this book can clear up for Christians who can only find flaws with them as for nonbelievers who don't catch the Christian influences, seems.

Have you ever wondered about that third question...how they have kept their faith so vibrant in the world of rock and roll and without regular Christian fellowship? I have!

Originally posted by Discoteque:

smile.gif

I bet Bonovoix would like to be in on this too...anyone else?

Disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-19-2001).]

Sorry, I was taking a long time to post, so yeh, that might be a good idea! If it doesn't work here we can get a list of emails, though I'm not sure how well we can go up and back. I'll wait to read--or discuss-- until others get the book!

There's always the Artist forum, we could actually start a real topic over there!

*gives Steve Turner yet another plug

i suggest u guys have a look for a couple books hes done, Hungry For Heaven: Rock n Roll and the search for redemption and Imagine both books are really excellent and focus alot on U2, the second one in particular covers their approach up to and including atyclb...

cool, thanks brettig, I'm def. adding those to my ever-expanding list of U2 related books and materials (I swear, my life isn't going to be long enough to finish them all, esp. when I spend all this time on Interference, blargh!

I dont' think we've made a firm decision on where we'll be having our discussions yet....stay tuned.

Originally posted by brettig:
*gives Steve Turner yet another plug

i suggest u guys have a look for a couple books hes done, Hungry For Heaven: Rock n Roll and the search for redemption and Imagine both books are really excellent and focus alot on U2, the second one in particular covers their approach up to and including atyclb...

Hey, all!
I was actually surprised the book, Walk On, hadn't come up in here already...I'm waiting until after Christmas before I buy it -- but if my friends haven't clued in, I'll be picking it up on Boxing Day!
And yes, I'd be SO into having a place here to discuss it and all it inspires...

in anticipation,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I also have a copy on order. Expecting it any day now and looking forward to it as I have enjoyed Mr. Stockman's website over the past year.

Already bought it, read it and started loaning it out to Christian friends of mine. Great book, count me in for any discussions.

great, that's three more! Anybody else??

maybe we'll start a little "book club" sometime after the New Year, so people have a chance to find it and start reading it

we'll see what happens...

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 12-21-2001).]

I'm definitely in...it was U2 that started me back on my own spiritual journey in 1980. For 21 years it seems that the struggles I've faced in my own spiritual life have found a refuge in Bono's words. I'm half way through the book, and the insights into U2's own Christianity is a breath of fresh air.

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

I bought a copy last week at the locale Books-A-Million....I've got a few chapters read and it really digs deep into the heart of U2 spirituality....

Interesting insights into the Christian music industry as well...

dream wanderer

just went to borders but they don't have it!!!
frown.gif

As soon as amazon can deliver i'm all over this w/ you guys!!
smile.gif

------------------
"You shout and shout
You're inside out
'til you don't know."

*&* U2 TAKE ME HIGHER *&*

Read the book today on my flight down to Missouri. I'm looking forward to discussing it with you all. Since no one has volunteered, I'd be willing to organize a group email list, if that's ok with all. Drop me an email at sulawesigirl@yahoo.com

-sula

Great to see all the interest! Hope everyone can get a copy, we'll give it till after the new years...

Here's a quote from an article in the Irish Times:

Stockman was encouraged in writing his book, Walk On by a disgruntled e-mail correspondent who took him to task for daring to suggest that the authors of a song called "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" could be of a Christian persuasion. Surely, if they had found Jesus, their search was at an end. Surely, if they were Christian they couldn't curse and drink Jack Daniels. Could Bono, a man who dressed up as the devil for the Zoo TV tour, be seriously considered as an authentic, fully paid-up follower of Christ?

..."The Church in general has not seemed to understand U2 and has dismissed them as people lost to the Church," he says.

..."I think some fans will resent me talking about U2 and God in the same context," he says. "But as a fan for 20 years I have always believed that you cannot separate U2 from their Christianity. To understand U2, you have to understand where they are coming from spiritually."

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
Great to see all the interest! Hope everyone can get a copy, we'll give it till after the new years...

Here's a quote from an article in the Irish Times:

Stockman was encouraged in writing his book, Walk On by a disgruntled e-mail correspondent who took him to task for daring to suggest that the authors of a song called "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" could be of a Christian persuasion. Surely, if they had found Jesus, their search was at an end. Surely, if they were Christian they couldn't curse and drink Jack Daniels. Could Bono, a man who dressed up as the devil for the Zoo TV tour, be seriously considered as an authentic, fully paid-up follower of Christ?

..."The Church in general has not seemed to understand U2 and has dismissed them as people lost to the Church," he says.

..."I think some fans will resent me talking about U2 and God in the same context," he says. "But as a fan for 20 years I have always believed that you cannot separate U2 from their Christianity. To understand U2, you have to understand where they are coming from spiritually."

The whole Irish Times article is really good. I'm waiting sooo anxiously for my copy of this book.

Sorry I missed you, Chris. Glad you liked the card!

I'm half way through the book myself. Be sure to email sulawesigirl4 if you want to discuss, she's collecting a list.

Back
Top Bottom