Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2...Is anybody paying attention?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this is going to be a very difficult read.

i'm only at page 3, have wanted to cry twice, and even had to use my highlighter for the intro.

wow.

I like what I've read so far, but did anybody else notice all the mistakes?

~He spells MacPhisto "McPhisto" (or is that an acceptable version? Damn words with two spellings...)

~"The Fly himself had another persona in the Mirrorball Man. Coming out for the encore to sing "Desire", Bono-dressed in his gold lame suit-brought a mirror so he could pose in front of it." Umm..the Mirrorball Man's suit was silver...MacPhisto's (or is that McPhisto's) suit was gold.

~"In the video cartoon for 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me', McPhisto is knocked to the ground by a car, and a book flies out of his hand." Cartoon Bono was not dressed as MacPhisto (McPhisto) when he was struck by the car.

~There were several misquoted lyrics. Yes, many were minor, but I recall one that stood out from "God Part 2" (otherwise known as "God Part II", but I guess that one can swing both ways too): "I don't believe the devil, I don't believe his lies"...the correct lyric is "I don't believe the devil, I don't believe his book"

Am I the only one who noticed this? I'm surprised nobody else has said anything (or was there a thread I missed?).

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 01-02-2002).]

Interesting. I posted a separate thread giving further information on this, but it appears that someone kindly eliminated it without telling me. My only guess is that it was misconstrued as some sort of an advertisement or spam or competition or something equally ridiculous. In any case, any delusions I may have had over the democratic way in which this forum is run are definitely cleared up.

So, rather than post the link here and have this entire thread mysteriously disappear, I would just ask that any of you who wanted to do this email me and then I will email you back with the link to the group.

Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone. I had no idea that volunteering to help out would result in thread eliminations.

frown.gif

-sula

Originally posted by Bonochick:
~There were several misquoted lyrics. Yes, many were minor, but I recall one that stood out from "God Part 2" (otherwise known as "God Part II", but I guess that one can swing both ways too): "I don't believe the devil, I don't believe his lies"...the correct lyric is "I don't believe the devil, I don't believe his book"

Often people like to make minor changes to things, such as lyrics, stories, etc... to suit their own purposes. Does the devil have a book? What's the title of the song again?

I've yet to read this book, but plan to (err... eventually).

I've heard people of various religions take U2's lyrics and actions, and make them fit to be perfect examples of their own need - this tends to personally bother me if only for the reason that U2 is not a religion, and NO ONE besides those who write the lyrics truly know what a song means, and means to them.

And Sula I'm not sure if a mod deleted your thread or if the server may have burped... please feel free to post it again, also, if you'd rather have a dedicated forum for this discussion I'd be very happy to create it - let me know, elvis@interference.com

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

Hey Carrie...I'm glad you are enjoying the book so far...it is great reading. I paticularly liked this quote from the forward by Steve Beard.

"For more than twenty years, U2 has done their part to puncture the power of nihilism and hopelessness by pointing listeners to a transcendent reality of heaven, hell, angels, demons, deliverance, redemption, grace and peace. Their lyrics unfold a world beyond the things that can be merely seen and rationally grasped. The music is not a simplistic mish-mash of yummy lyrics about skipping with Jesus through fields of daisies. Instead, their songs wrestle with pain and frustration without catering to hopelessness."

U2's music plays to the soul, the heart, deep inside of me like no other music has ever touched me before. When Bono sings, I often feel like he is revealing layers of me that I know are there, but are too personal to see, or be seen. Bono once said, "I'm restless. I'm not the kind of guy who would normally settle down with a family and one person. I'm just not. I'm a tinker. I like to travel. I like to move around." For Bono, this type of spirit has allowed him to see and hear more of this life than I'll ever know, and yet when he sings, I sense that I'm looking through the very things he has experienced, because he writes so vividly, sings so passionately, and lives so vicariously.

Chris

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Hey Carrie...I'm glad you are enjoying the book so far...it is great reading. I paticularly liked this quote from the forward by Steve Beard.
Chris

Hi Chris!
Ok so I really am not kidding that I have to read this slowly! It's so overwhelming for me! *laughs*

the thing that has struck me so far is the "God being in the room" , that quote from RS, b/c I remember reading it and being SO floored- then running around like crazy to tell EVERYONE. It's amazing. plus actually BEING at ashow and then experiencing it- I mean,I read about it.. but then to BE there, it puts this *idea* into *action*.. okay i'm rambling.. but i'm also just overcome! this is exciting & i'm glad we can all have a discussion about this!
smile.gif

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:

the thing that has struck me so far is the "God being in the room" , that quote from RS, b/c I remember reading it and being SO floored- then running around like crazy to tell EVERYONE. It's amazing. plus actually BEING at ashow and then experiencing it- I mean,I read about it.. but then to BE there, it puts this *idea* into *action*.. okay i'm rambling.. but i'm also just overcome! this is exciting & i'm glad we can all have a discussion about this!
smile.gif

Really, that is so amazing! That so many people come away with a feeling that the show has been a religious experience, that people were bringing signs saying "this is our church" and Bono admiting "God is in the room." The Holy Spirit is at work here!

I don't know if it was the first time he said it, but in Oakland at Popmart Bono was talking to Cecil Williams, the Reverend of Glide Memorial Church, who he had invited along with the church choir, and he said "THIS is our church." It's so special that on the Elevation tour almost everyone could agree.

Sula is working on starting the discussion proper...hang on to see where we go.

*bump

The new forum The Goal is Soul is up and running and we've started our discussion there...come on over and join in!

sula was VERY kind to type out the forward for anyone who hasn't gotten the book yet, so look for the Forward thread and you can see it all there...we'll wait to go on till people catch up, though I think (going to take it chapter by chapter).

Peace and Love!

Debbie, I've been reading the book and I must tell you that it only gets BETTER! I see U2 in an even BRIGHTER light right now...if that's possible! You're going to realy enjoy it!

Oh, I love this. I'm almost done with the book and it's amazing. I go to the other forum and join you there.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by #1bonobabe:
Debbie, I've been reading the book and I must tell you that it only gets BETTER! I see U2 in an even BRIGHTER light right now...if that's possible! You're going to realy enjoy it!

That is really something
smile.gif
. I've finished reading the book and I think it's pretty keen. Have you made it over to the Forward thread in The Goal is Soul forum yet?

Back
Top Bottom