Walk On needs your appreciation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm really really in love with this song. It's such a beautifully written, beautifully sung, beautifully played, even beautifully produced gem from ATYCLB. I never thought I would be heaping so much praise upon Walk On because I didn't really like it much when I listened to it for the first time in 2000. I used to have lots of pet peeves about this song... wasn't a big fan of the intro beat, the 'you can only take so much' line sounded to me like a weak Bono compared to the 90s, the ending sounded too much like Floyd's Eclipse blah blah blah. Bottomline: Saying that this song has grown on me would be an understatement because I can't stop listening to it now. Actually even ATYCLB as a whole has grown on me a lot. But that's for another day. :wink:

your best thread by FAR! makes up for ur disastrous THTBA thread!:wink:

seriously...... outstanding song. I was hooked on to it like mad 4 years ago, and today it is in my U2 top 5. while the album version is terrific, the single version is pure genius.

Yeah, I prefer the single version. They cut out all the dead weight--the white-boy rap intro, the "home" portion, most of the "all that you..." ending--and the performance itself sounds so much more inspired.

The first time I heard it, I thought it was pretty good but a by-the-numbers U2 dial-an-anthem. It's aged well, though. With some hindsight, there's really nothing else in their canon quite like it, is there? I mean, it has the same ringing guitar and rousing chorus as "Pride" and whatnot, but the feelings it arouses are so much different. I'm a little surprised they played "Elevation" on the Vertigo Tour rehearsal show but not this. It and "Beautiful Day" will probably go down as ATYCLB's classics.

The live version from the Tribute To Heroes telethon (with the "Peace On Earth" lead-in) is my favorite, though. It's a great song live and was a perfect way to end Elevation shows.

For the hell of it, my preferred ATYCLB tracklist:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Kite
5. In A Little While
6. Wild Honey
7. When I Look at the World
8. Stateless
9. New York
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
11. Peace On Earth
12. Walk On (single version)

Last edited:
My third favorite U2 song and the best from that album. I'm going to sneak in a poorly constructed sign to the San Jose shows.........here's hoping they play it.

Ok, now I'm curious about the single version, since I only have the ATYCLB-cd.
I absolutely adore the "all that you.."-part at the end so I'm sorry to hear they cut that off in the single version. Ditto for the "home..."-part.

"Walk On" deserves appreciation big time IMO, amazing song! I hope they do end up playing it live on this tour.
:bow:

I love Walk On. And I'm not ashamed to say so. It's my favorite song on ATYCLB. It's the reason I dust off the album and listen to it from time to time. When I saw them on the Elevation tour, I really wanted them to play the song live. I was all but convinced I wasn't going to hear it, only to be gladly surprised when it was the final song.

U2's timing with this song, for my life, was a miracle. I was in a seriously bad place, one that only those who've been there can truly understand. I was struggling, and searching for something to hang onto. Then I heard the words "And I know it aches,
And your heart it breaks... And you can only take so much! Walk on" It sounds silly to people who've never hit rock bottom before, but I was so moved by the words and the beauty of this song that I changed the entire direction of my life. It wasn't overnight; but as I turned my life around I had the CD with me constantly. Many of their songs buoyed my resolve to make a better life, but 'Walk on' I credit with actually saving my life.

'Walk on' sounds amazingly powerful and can reach to the bottom of my heart!!!! It's a magical song!!!! Although I have never experienced really tough situations (luckily!), this song can make me feel much better even when I'm slightly depressed!!:heart: this song!!!!

Aardvark747 said:
Good song - 3rd fave off ATYCLB, but I wouldnt wanna hear it on this tour tho.

total agreement, great song, but hope it doesnt find a spot on the tour, maybe a cameo every now and then :wink:

I love this song. It has really gotten me through a lot of bad times and it's one of those "slap-me-in-the-face" songs. It's so uplifting and it's beautiful live with the hallellujah's...:heart:

D'oh! said:
your best thread by FAR! makes up for ur disastrous THTBA thread!:wink:

seriously...... outstanding song. I was hooked on to it like mad 4 years ago, and today it is in my U2 top 5. while the album version is terrific, the single version is pure genius.

Thanks but I still think that THTBA is mediocre... maybe not the worst though.

typhoon said:
Yeah, I prefer the single version. They cut out all the dead weight--the white-boy rap intro, the "home" portion, most of the "all that you..." ending--and the performance itself sounds so much more inspired.

The first time I heard it, I thought it was pretty good but a by-the-numbers U2 dial-an-anthem. It's aged well, though. With some hindsight, there's really nothing else in their canon quite like it, is there? I mean, it has the same ringing guitar and rousing chorus as "Pride" and whatnot, but the feelings it arouses are so much different. I'm a little surprised they played "Elevation" on the Vertigo Tour rehearsal show but not this. It and "Beautiful Day" will probably go down as ATYCLB's classics.

The live version from the Tribute To Heroes telethon (with the "Peace On Earth" lead-in) is my favorite, though. It's a great song live and was a perfect way to end Elevation shows.

For the hell of it, my preferred ATYCLB tracklist:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment
3. Elevation
4. Kite
5. In A Little While
6. Wild Honey
7. When I Look at the World
8. Stateless
9. New York
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
11. Peace On Earth
12. Walk On (single version)

I'm curious about the single version too, now. I agree that Beautiful Day and Walk On were the classics off this album. While Kite, When I Look, Peace On Earth, New York and Ground Beneath are all really good, I won't consider them classics... at least for now. Actually I'm curious about Stateless too. Never heard it before.

Walk On is a VASTLY superior song with respect to anything else on ATYCLB. . . I LOVE the song and think it's amazingly powerful and moving. I love it. . . love the chords, love the piano, love Edge's solo, love it all. . .

Walk On is my number one favorite song by U2. It hooked me and I LOVE IT!!! It's the song i jump to when I'm depressed...having a bad day...even when I'm having a GOOD day its Walk On. Its nothing like I have ever heard before. I worship this song!:bow:
I love it!! Wow words cannot describe how AMAZING this song is to me.:heart:

Zootlesque said:
Would somebody be so kind as to post a ysi link for the Walk On (single) version? :D

Okay, nevermind. Found it on the net.

After first listen, I think I prefer the album version. In the single version, I miss the following:

1. The guitar chime immediately after the intro '...only baggage you can bring is all that you can't leave behind' that kicks the song in motion.

2. Edge's guitar solo in the middle of the song.

3. The Home portion which is just gorgeous. 'home, that's where the heart is.' Right after that line, when he starts singing 'and I know it aches...', his voice is just so full of emotion that I find myself choking sometimes - probably my favorite moment in the whole song.

4. All those chimes when the 'leave it behind, you've got to leave it behind' part starts.

5. The vocals are just better on the album version I think. Bono's voice seems a little shaky in the single version in some parts.

I have to say that I love the Hallelujahs though on the single version. Now, if they added the Hallelujahs to the album version and extended it further, it would be just great. God, I love this song. :love:

Sad_Girl said:
U2's timing with this song, for my life, was a miracle. I was in a seriously bad place, one that only those who've been there can truly understand. I was struggling, and searching for something to hang onto. Then I heard the words "And I know it aches,
And your heart it breaks... And you can only take so much! Walk on" It sounds silly to people who've never hit rock bottom before, but I was so moved by the words and the beauty of this song that I changed the entire direction of my life. It wasn't overnight; but as I turned my life around I had the CD with me constantly. Many of their songs buoyed my resolve to make a better life, but 'Walk on' I credit with actually saving my life.

:hug: :up:

I love that SONG!! It is so beautiful i tell everyone I know to listen to it but not all of them seem to like it. Can't understand why THE SONG is so AWESOME!! It's one of my favorites probably top 5.

Bono hit rock bottom as a person around the Pop album. Like Elevation, BD and Stuck, Walk On is a brilliant pick yourself up song. These are as connected of a 4 song opening to an album U2 has ever come up with. Top notch work!!

Back
Top Bottom