Wake Up Dead Man Hidden Sounds Part 6 Thousand Million trillion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee

Yea, so this is like the millionth post on Wake Up Dead Man and hidden sounds.

But....

I found this program that extract's vocal parts and bassicaly turns the song into a karaoke version. I did this because I found Bono's voice was getting in the way of trying to listen to the sounds in the background (if only I had a program that could define the individual tracks and I could turn off vocals, guitar, bass and drums...)

Anyway, so I'm listening to WUDM with no vocals, and I can hear a lot of things much clearer. The Van Diemen's Land story is true. It is there, and I can hear it.

Also, in the left channel at the very beginning there is a drum beat that is out of time of the actual song that sounds like the drum beat of Miami in reverse.

I'm not done, nor am I completely satisfied and what I have done with it, so I'm still looking for a track extractor. If anyone has such of a program or know of one I can buy, please let me know, because this is a project I'd like to do - eventually have a track of nothing back the background - no music and no vocals.

***************EDIT************

I just totally realized this (and it may have been mentioned before).....

The crowd noise at the beginning of WUDM is the exact crowd noise from Van Diemen's Land which is the end of Helter Skelter. I never knew this until now when I also realized that WUDM and Van Diemen's Land are extremely close in tempo.

Last edited:
would you be able to post the song without vocals? (or email it.....i guess it's quasi-official..). I'd love to take a listen.

Axver said:

Yeah, but he's finding cool stuff! (i'm also a jerk)

I thought we agreed that you wern't to speak unless spoken to :wink: it's good to see that you know you're a jerk
Yea it is pretty cool but who can actually be bothered to sit down and do it, the amount of layers on the production on that song will take forever to deconstruct using basic computer software ... i'd also like to know what the van diemans land myth is???

The entirety of Van Dieman's Land is played in reverse in the background of Wake Up Dead Man. It's freaky. There's also lots of other stuff thrown in there too. Or so I understand, I've never personally been able to extract or interpret any of it. But not for lack of trying... I can say from personal experience that listening to Wake Up Dead Man slowed down and in reverse is very disturbing. It makes your brain hurt.

DignityPassesBy said:
How do i put the audio and play in back in original form and how do i reverse it with this program?
Easy:
File -> Open -> Open Wake Up Dead Man
Edit -> Select -> Select All
Effect -> Reverse

I only haven't figured out yet how to remove the noise to actually hear something. I only hear WUDM backwards (which sounds pretty good actually, the end of the chorus has a really catchy bassline) but I don't hear Van Diemen's Land or anything.

DignityPassesBy said:
you have got way too much time on your hands

A comment like that is rude. Please refrain from such activity.

If you were simply joke, please understand that jokes don't always come across so obviously online.

Which program did you use to extract the vocals from the music?

I once read somewhere that there is a sample of a Bulgarian? female choir in it too.

I wonder why Van Diemen's Land is in there - lyrical connection? musical connection?

"Van Diemen's Land"

Hold me now, hold me now
Till this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's Land

It's a bitter pill I swallow here
To be rent from one so dear
We fought for justice and not for gain
But the magistrate sent me away

Now kings will rule and the poor will toil
And tear their hands as the tear the soil
But a day will come in the dawning age
When an honest man sees an honest wage

Hold me now, hold me now

Still the gunman rules and the widows pay
A scarlet coat now a black beret
They thought that that blood and sacrifice
Could out of death bring forth a life

U2Soar said:
Which program did you use to extract the vocals from the music?

I once read somewhere that there is a sample of a Bulgarian? female choir in it too.

I wonder why Van Diemen's Land is in there - lyrical connection? musical connection?

"Van Diemen's Land"

Hold me now, hold me now

It's a bitter pill I swallow here
To be rent from one so dear
We fought for justice and not for gain
But the magistrate sent me away

Now kings will rule and the poor will toil
And tear their hands as the tear the soil
But a day will come in the dawning age
When an honest man sees an honest wage

Hold me now, hold me now

Still the gunman rules and the widows pay
A scarlet coat now a black beret
They thought that that blood and sacrifice
Could out of death bring forth a life

Yes, there is a choir singing in the second verse. They sing the exact same thing as the guitar hits after Bono says, "Wake Up...." BAM BAM, "Wake up Dead Man" Ba dum dum..." The choir doubles that. At u2wanderer.org they guy on the RTSS forums had stated he could hear a choir and that it fit in, something may have been originally used as a background in the chorus, but they later changed their minds maybe?

I also discovered, and I think, so don't quote me on this, but Miami is played in reverse as well. The drum track is evident, and the spoken words in the background, the monotone, when reversed sounds like Bono speaking the lyrics of Miami.

There's another section in the 3rd verse before the last chorus (Jesus, were you just around the corner), where I can hear what sounds like Larry saying "Passengers was a mistake," with Adam responding, "You're just jealous".

I can't quite tell if that is what is being said exactly because there's still lots of other noise (.....the actual song....) playing in the foreground. But I do know it's Larry's and Adam's voice. I can hear it in the left channel when it's recorded that way and played in both channels with certain levels on and certain levels off.

U2Fan101 said:

There's another section in the 3rd verse before the last chorus (Jesus, were you just around the corner), where I can hear what sounds like Larry saying "Passengers was a mistake," with Adam responding, "You're just jealous".
:lmao: That would be soo hilarious.

But seriously, could anybody post the 'cleaned up' versions of this song (both forward and backwards played)? I'd be very interested to hear your version U2Fan101, as you seem to hear many hidden things I can't hear. :)

U2Fan, what program are you using? Can Audacity take out all these layers individually? I downloaded it once just to reverse stuff, but I never really played around with it.

This stuff sounds awesome. I love hearing about & finding these random things!

Wow! WUDM in reverse sounds so freaky and cool! :ohmy:

Thanks for posting this link for Audacity! :bow:

I still can't hear Van Diemen's Land though! :hmm:

In order to hear Van Diemen's Land you need to remove Bono's vocals. It cuts in and out throughout the piece. I have a friend who has a program that will be able to cut away the vocals, guitars, bass and drums so all that will be left is everything else. He uses the same program when he mixes songs.

I'll upload the versions I have when I am at home. I'm at a friends' house tonight but will definitely get on it.

I don't think I have the tech savvy to do this myself. Can anyone post the result?

Back
Top Bottom