Wake Up Dead Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
This song is just amazing, I love it, I may not be a fan of Pop but this is one of U2s best, this song has really grown on me the last few days and it is amazing.

AWESOME lyrics ... :applaud:

Jesus, were you just around the corner ?
Did you think to try and warn her ?
Were you working on something new ?
If there's an order in all of this disorder
Is it like a tape recorder ?
Can we rewind it just once more ?

Wake up, wake up dead man ...

It is a fantastic song on a fantastic record. I didn't know all the little secrets in it until I listened to it with headphones. It takes on a life of its own.

inmyplace13 said:
It is a fantastic song on a fantastic record. I didn't know all the little secrets in it until I listened to it with headphones. It takes on a life of its own.

Really? Like what? :hmm:

one4u2 said:

Really? Like what? :hmm:

Van Dieman's Land playing backwards throughout the entire thing, for instance.

At least I think that's what it is. :|

Aardvark747 said:
I like it cos it's the only song where Bono sings a part of MY name! My surname....

"Listen to the REED in the saxaphone"....:rockon:

OMG are you Lou Reed?! :wink:

Wake Up Dead Man is fantastic.

"Jesus, Jesus help me...I'm alone in this world...and a fucked up world it is too."

what a great and unlikely way to start a U2 song :drool:

there is a site somewhere that has all the secrets in Wake Up Dead Man, there was a thread about this not too long ago... it's amazing how much stuff they put in there :huh: but the song is great even disregarding that!! I wish U2 would do the whole thing live instead of just part of it.

edit: here's the thread
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&forumid=189&threadid=131687

RIGHT STEREO CHANNEL

Very beginning: crowd cheering noise

Right after "...eternity": high pitched, skewed-up voice saying "Why is it so loud? O my!"
Same voice, just before bass entry: "I'm ready!"

Very last: "Our scientific program today is a (real eye-opener). This year, one of our programs was to examine how Jesus lived." (sounds like a BBC show?)

End, reversed, sung: "And the tour (poor?) will tell..." (sounds like Edge)

LEFT STEREO CHANNEL

Very beginning, super-speeded up: "Ask a younger guy, let him come, bitch."/"I think I'm rich/Mitch"

Beginning, just before singing starts, artificially deep voice: "Baaa-badum-badum." (reversed)
Same voice, right after "Jesus, Jesus help me": "Adam is a butthead" (may be reversed "Help me")
Same voice, right after "I'm in alone in this world.": "Carrot stick." (may be reversed "It's alright")
Same voice, just after "Tell me a story...": "Sorrow" (reversed)
Same voice, right at end: "So now what?" (speeded up, reversed)

End, right after music cut out, slightly speeded up: "I'm sorry, he's the/a bad brother"

That's the good shit, right there.

awesome song! I was just listening to it last night...

the lyrics are cool, I really like the bridge. my favorite lines in the song are

tell me the story
the one about eternity
and the way it's all gonna be

i know exactly what he means...so perfect :drool:

Great song! I remember being really moved the first time I heard it. It and Please are my two favourites from Pop. Thye both have such an excellent atmostphere about them.

first time i heard it, i thought of acrobat #2, and we all know how great acrobat is, awesome song!

Azor said:
The best song of Pop:drool:

I've always thought that. It's the pinnacle of Bono's loner cowboy like character songs set in some modernistic trash bin. Although, Edge's guitar brings the old west into focus on this song.

This song is starting to weird me out...i can hear someone shouting 'Fuck' right at the end now still can't hear Van Diemens Land but i do hear another song underneath which probably is VDL, great song and i love it:yes: now it has added weirdness...

Apparently all these voices and stuff you cna hear on U2 songs is because they kept overdubbing on the tapes they were recording on?(sorry im not too technically knowledgeable on this) And that a good song performance was more important to them than the mix? Even if its true about the overdubbing how could they overdub Van Diemens Land? Unless they were still using tapes from the late 80s:huh:

One of my favorite U2 songs, Larry has great drumming on it, Adam plays a mean bass line, Edge's guitar is also excellent:drool:

Fantastic, no other words needed.

De Slane Castle version was very emotional.

LJT said:
This song is starting to weird me out...i can hear someone shouting 'Fuck' right at the end now still can't hear Van Diemens Land but i do hear another song underneath which probably is VDL, great song and i love it:yes: now it has added weirdness...

Apparently all these voices and stuff you cna hear on U2 songs is because they kept overdubbing on the tapes they were recording on?(sorry im not too technically knowledgeable on this) And that a good song performance was more important to them than the mix? Even if its true about the overdubbing how could they overdub Van Diemens Land? Unless they were still using tapes from the late 80s:huh:

Nope.:wink:
They can afford a few new tapes I think. It`s on purpose.

Irishteen said:
Just to add I gave Wake Up Dead Man 9.25 in my review of Pop in my journal, feel free to comment.

9.25? Where was 9.5 when you did your review?

Back
Top Bottom