WAIA appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Does anybody else have as much love for these songs as I do? Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, and the live Bad and ASOH, I listen to it over and over, especially in the car! Three Sunrises and LCT are two of their BEST songs ever and should have been on best of. They are rare gems, underappreciated works of art, just beautiful!

Check profile. Love Comes Tumbling is my all time favorite U2 song and that is the truth. It is the first on my wish list of things to hear live. I can listen to it over and over.

I have a lot of versions of Bad live and it is great although I'd like to trade it in on the up coming tour for a different song that I haven't heard live like Wire.

ASOH is a classic that doesn't get the respect it deserves. I know One4U2 quoted it in her yearbook when she graduated HS which was some time back.

Wasn't it the UF that Bono had his notebook stolen and ended up having to write all new songs? I think he did pretty well with the songs that ended up on UF and their B-sides.

Three sunrises I can do with out. I have the same album from Canada as well that I think has Bass Trap on it as well.

Oh yeah :yes:. I :love: ASOH & 3S!!!

Three Sunrises IS one of my very, very U2 faves! Why?

I love the uplifting sound & feel of it. Bono's singing is so lovely there. Also everyone else's harmonizing on there is one of their most ~~really beautiful~~ efforts together.

I also love the fact that they have a big dynamic change from the soft, lilting start that goes into this harder-charging rock sound.
This something they do that reminds me of 2 of my most favorite Who songs that contain the same dynamic shift..... The Song IS Over and Pure & Easy :love: :bow:

Edge's gutair is both great & beautiful, there.
I especially love that (which is mostly the case in their songs) he uses the various melodies and at least 2 types of sonics together- which IMHO is part o his signature sound. Idon't know if there are more technical music terms for what I'm trying to say here.

He has those opening dawn-glow [like a sunrise] sonics of different notes, then it turns into these bell-tone sounds and the the stuttering & rip-stop sonics & melodies.

Sometimes I choose this as my fav u2 song because it has a variety of the things I love most about them musically As mentioned above. Besides sides loving the song as a whole in itself.

WAIA... had me going for a sec myself... i don't know every u2 song there is....[esp pop & Zooropa and foggten alot of UF]
But once I saw the names of the songs...

WAIA ='s Wide Awake In America a 4 song 12" EP vinyl record.
I have the origianl tape.

ASOH I love that song!

But it had a complicating factor for me. :(
My Mom got very sick soon after it was realeased. She was in the hospital for 3 months. My sis had been planning to go to Europe. She came to visit her, but mom or dad told her how sick she really was, so she could go on her trip. This made me :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

I am the older 4 yrs. Our Mom got very ill with asthma when I was around 5 yrs and has had various related and totally different Medical Emergencies since I was 5. SO for most of my of life in my younger years I was emotionally burdened with the awareness/knowledge of my mothers probelms and close-calls.

When they let my sis go without the truth We were ? 28 & 32 at the time-- I felt terribly abandoned, furious that my sis had " gotten the better end of the deal", so to speak. Yet again now with an even higher level of worry & experiences to deal with on my part while she was 'happily cavorting away in Europe'.Still makes me kinda mad but way less so than for many years. <i've worked on it>

Anyway I used to listen to WAIA on my walkman tape-player while visiting my mom in the hospital. There was a little balconey and I used to go out there ona nice day [was all during Oct, nov dec}.

I loved the almost 'horse-riding' kind of rythym that ASOH had. Besides the melody etc. The joy of coming home! {if home is a happy place for you}!
But perhaps the idea that my mom was possibly Not comoing home {it was touch & go at times}, and perhaps the deep feeling of abandonemt I felt from my sis (and maybe my parents- unable to direct my anger at them fully, circimstance-wise at the time) felt like the often 'home-like' relationship I had with my sis being so shaken at that time.......................

...sometime after my mom got out of the hospital I couldn't listen tpo ASOH at All.... For aboutr 15 yrs!!!

Last edited:
Oh... WAIA = Wide Awake In America :banghead:

This was the last album I bought to complete my U2 collection. I absolutely adore the live version of Bad. And the rest of the songs are great too. The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling probably would have fit really well on The Unforgettable Fire though. They're incredibly strong songs.

U2Kitten said:
I listen to it over and over, especially in the car!

:heart: :yes:

If this CD is in my car, it doesn't leave for WEEKS...if we stop somewhere and its in the middle of a song, especially ASOH, we put it back to the beginning so we can hear it all the way through when we get back in the car!

Its one of the rare CD's my hubby will listen to endlessly without getting sick of it.

relief at last

to finish....

Sometime around 2001 while I was searching the Elevation Tour playlists & audioclips I saw thT ASOH was partially played acoustic style at one concert!

Instead of the unconcious Churning dread/anger that would make me deliberatly avoid playing it off of WAIA while I played 3S over & over, my heart lept up with joy. ANd a little envy that I'd hadn't heard it! But I did listen to the clip. <happysigh>

Verte, I'd LOVE to hear them do a full-tilt electric version of that in the upcoming shows! <hoping I'd be at one of them where they did!> <even if I did cry...cathartic>
:hyper: :dance: :bow: :dance:

I also think 3S & ASOH are quite underated!

Here's to hearing them (at least ASOH) live in 2005/6!
< lifts glass> :D

Last edited:
:happy: I'm so glad other people like it too, it never gets enough credit.

JessicaAnn said:
I am horrible with acronyms ... :crack:

What are WAIA and ASOH? :reject:

I had the same problem when I saw the title of this thread. I sat there thinking of what the heck it was before I opened it and felt kinda stupid...

lol yeah it took me until I opened the thread to work out what WAIA was, thats probably because its not really talked about much which is a shame.

Great EP I love the live versions of Bad and ASOH!

Wide Awake in America is one of my faves too! :heart:

I love all of the songs, especially Bad Live. I also love the cover picture of Bono in the light. My sister did a pencil sketch of the album cover for me in 1985 and I have it framed. :up:

Attachments

• wideawake.jpg
    wideawake.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 40
youtwohearts said:
Wasn't it the UF that Bono had his notebook stolen and ended up having to write all new songs? I think he did pretty well with the songs that ended up on UF and their B-sides.

Wasn't that October?

In any case, I adore Wide Awake In America. Such an awesome release; everything is perfect. The UF/JT era was when U2 hit their musical and creatuve peak. The only thing I don't like about WAIA is the cover, because I can't see it! That picture of it that BostonAnne posted is a LOT clearer than both of my copies of WAIA ... believe it or not, that actually revealed some stuff about the cover I hadn't been able to see before. When I first got WAIA, it took me a long time to figure out that was even Bono! At first I thought it was a cat in the rain ...

Last edited:
and somebody stole the ATYCLB laptop, and the new disc too!

Axver said:

Wasn't that October?

In any case, I adore Wide Awake In America. Such an awesome release; everything is perfect. The UF/JT era was when U2 hit their musical and creatuve peak. The only thing I don't like about WAIA is the cover, because I can't see it! That picture of it that BostonAnne posted is a LOT clearer than both of my copies of WAIA ... believe it or not, that actually revealed some stuff about the cover I hadn't been able to see before. When I first got WAIA, it took me a long time to figure out that was even Bono! At first I thought it was a cat in the rain ...

It was October. In Portland, OR.

Tip Top Prince said:

Is that a fact?

I would disagree and suggest the AB era.

I'd totally disagree there. U2 were very creative and took on a new direction, but they definitely did not top the output of the UF/JT era. Just go check out the singles. UF had some wonderful instrumentals, while JT had some incredible b-sides that could have become full album tracks. The band themselves have said there was enough album-quality material to make JT a double album. AB, however ... there's no way that could have been a double album, and there were a pathetic amount of real b-sides. It set the tone for the nineties: remix territory. I personally do not like remixes and don't see them as very creative at all.

Axver said:

I'd totally disagree there. U2 were very creative and took on a new direction, but they definitely did not top the output of the UF/JT era. Just go check out the singles. UF had some wonderful instrumentals, while JT had some incredible b-sides that could have become full album tracks. The band themselves have said there was enough album-quality material to make JT a double album. AB, however ... there's no way that could have been a double album, and there were a pathetic amount of real b-sides. It set the tone for the nineties: remix territory. I personally do not like remixes and don't see them as very creative at all.

Yes, I've heard them all thanks.

The point is - you present your opinion as if it were fact.

Tip Top Prince said:
The point is - you present your opinion as if it were fact.

Simple logic would dictate that I hold an opinion because I believe it's correct. I'm not about to have an opinion that I think is totally wrong.

It seems you're the only person who has a problem with my opinions anyway.

Because I had Wide Awake in America before I Unforgettable Fire I think I like the live versions of A sort of Homecoming and Bad FAR MORE than on UF. I almost can't stand to not hear the live versions. I love Wide Awake in America!!

I hadn't heard Three Sunrises in a long time....just sort of forgot all about it. Then I was shopping at an Eddie Bauer store one day last year and there it was playing. I walked in right as the guitar kicks in. I just stopped dead in my tracks and probably had a :eyebrow: :shifty: :shocked: look on my face. I couldn't focus on shopping until the song was overwith! How weird to hear that song in a store but I went home and dusted off that CD and popped it in the CD player! :drool:

Sorry to get a little off topic here. I was just listening to Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling today and this thought suddenly occured to me. What if U2 were only as good as their B-sides? In other words, what if the only U2 songs you ever heard were their B-sides. Nothing else.

I'll tell you, they'd still be the best band in the world! :yes:

Roland of Gilead said:
Sorry to get a little off topic here. I was just listening to Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling today and this thought suddenly occured to me. What if U2 were only as good as their B-sides? In other words, what if the only U2 songs you ever heard were their B-sides. Nothing else.

I'll tell you, they'd still be the best band in the world! :yes:

I agree! :) :up:

Back
Top Bottom