WAIA appreciation thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Wide Awake in America is one of my faves too!

I love all of the songs, especially Bad Live. I also love the cover picture of Bono in the light. My sister did a pencil sketch of the album cover for me in 1985 and I have it framed.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by youtwohearts
Wasn't it the UF that Bono had his notebook stolen and ended up having to write all new songs? I think he did pretty well with the songs that ended up on UF and their B-sides.
Wasn't that October?

In any case, I adore Wide Awake In America. Such an awesome release; everything is perfect. The UF/JT era was when U2 hit their musical and creatuve peak. The only thing I don't like about WAIA is the cover, because I can't see it! That picture of it that BostonAnne posted is a LOT clearer than both of my copies of WAIA ... believe it or not, that actually revealed some stuff about the cover I hadn't been able to see before. When I first got WAIA, it took me a long time to figure out that was even Bono! At first I thought it was a cat in the rain ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
and somebody stole the ATYCLB laptop, and the new disc too!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:46 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Wasn't that October?

In any case, I adore Wide Awake In America. Such an awesome release; everything is perfect. The UF/JT era was when U2 hit their musical and creatuve peak. The only thing I don't like about WAIA is the cover, because I can't see it! That picture of it that BostonAnne posted is a LOT clearer than both of my copies of WAIA ... believe it or not, that actually revealed some stuff about the cover I hadn't been able to see before. When I first got WAIA, it took me a long time to figure out that was even Bono! At first I thought it was a cat in the rain ...
It was October. In Portland, OR.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and I meant to add, appreciating WAIA.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:08 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:

The UF/JT era was when U2 hit their musical and creatuve peak.
Is that a fact?

I would disagree and suggest the AB era.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tip Top Prince

Is that a fact?

I would disagree and suggest the AB era.
I'd totally disagree there. U2 were very creative and took on a new direction, but they definitely did not top the output of the UF/JT era. Just go check out the singles. UF had some wonderful instrumentals, while JT had some incredible b-sides that could have become full album tracks. The band themselves have said there was enough album-quality material to make JT a double album. AB, however ... there's no way that could have been a double album, and there were a pathetic amount of real b-sides. It set the tone for the nineties: remix territory. I personally do not like remixes and don't see them as very creative at all.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:

I'd totally disagree there. U2 were very creative and took on a new direction, but they definitely did not top the output of the UF/JT era. Just go check out the singles. UF had some wonderful instrumentals, while JT had some incredible b-sides that could have become full album tracks. The band themselves have said there was enough album-quality material to make JT a double album. AB, however ... there's no way that could have been a double album, and there were a pathetic amount of real b-sides. It set the tone for the nineties: remix territory. I personally do not like remixes and don't see them as very creative at all.
Yes, I've heard them all thanks.

The point is - you present your opinion as if it were fact.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #24
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tip Top Prince
The point is - you present your opinion as if it were fact.
Simple logic would dictate that I hold an opinion because I believe it's correct. I'm not about to have an opinion that I think is totally wrong.

It seems you're the only person who has a problem with my opinions anyway.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2004, 07:32 PM   #25
War Child

Because I had Wide Awake in America before I Unforgettable Fire I think I like the live versions of A sort of Homecoming and Bad FAR MORE than on UF. I almost can't stand to not hear the live versions. I love Wide Awake in America!!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #26
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
I hadn't heard Three Sunrises in a long time....just sort of forgot all about it. Then I was shopping at an Eddie Bauer store one day last year and there it was playing. I walked in right as the guitar kicks in. I just stopped dead in my tracks and probably had a look on my face. I couldn't focus on shopping until the song was overwith! How weird to hear that song in a store but I went home and dusted off that CD and popped it in the CD player!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:17 PM   #27
Gunslinger

Sorry to get a little off topic here. I was just listening to Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling today and this thought suddenly occured to me. What if U2 were only as good as their B-sides? In other words, what if the only U2 songs you ever heard were their B-sides. Nothing else.

I'll tell you, they'd still be the best band in the world!
Old 10-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
Sorry to get a little off topic here. I was just listening to Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling today and this thought suddenly occured to me. What if U2 were only as good as their B-sides? In other words, what if the only U2 songs you ever heard were their B-sides. Nothing else.

I'll tell you, they'd still be the best band in the world!
I agree!
Old 10-02-2004, 06:37 PM   #29
Refugee

I had it on vinyl but lost it.

it was one of my favorite albums when I was a kid. I love WAIA.