Virgin Bono Interview: Comments in new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim

Refugee
Some great comments on the new album:

- It's the album we've always wanted to make.
- Edge is driving it / very angry guitars
- The album is nearly finished
- It will be around for a long time / no fillers / all could be singles

Most interesting bit was when Dominic said that the new record has 'alot to live up to' after the last album. Bono seemed uncomforatble with this saying that those who have heard the new songs agree that they have really 'left behind' ATYCLB.

I'm very excited about this - it seems that the new album will have a very different and harder sound than the last one.

I know alot of this has already been said but it's good to hear it from the horses's mouth.

good to hear some news about the album :up:
(especially about it being nearly finished)

I still hope the final mix will leave acoustic guitars only though :shrug:

I do hope Bono isn't ashamed of ATYCLB. Why does he always feel they must leave their last album behind? They can make a new one without being down on their old ones. They should be proud of everything they've done. I am!

Even though it promises much for early next year, it is almost exactly the same as Bono said about ATYCLB in 2000. Except for the part that they're leaving behing ATYCLB, obviously... :)

C ya!

Marty

Jim said:
Most interesting bit was when Dominic said that the new record has 'alot to live up to' after the last album. Bono seemed uncomforatble with this saying that those who have heard the new songs agree that they have really 'left behind' ATYCLB.

That is interesting. IMO ATYCLB had a lot more to live up to than this album.
Bono probably meant that the new album is more rock/guitar oriented and they left ATYCLB behind in that sense.

SkyBlueDreamer said:
I do hope Bono isn't ashamed of ATYCLB. Why does he always feel they must leave their last album behind? They can make a new one without being down on their old ones. They should be proud of everything they've done. I am!

It's nothing new for the boys sort of "dissing" their past efforts. Does anyone remember when AB came out and The Edge said this album is going to chop down The Joshua Tree??
So I think they do this to pump themselves up with their new material. So don't take his comments in a negative way :wink:

I really hope this album is the "rocker" we have been promised, but there is still a part of me that is hesitant to believe it.

After all, we heard that Pop was going to be a dance album.

And we heard that ATYCLB was going to be a rock album.

Neither of these turned out to be true.

I just hope this time around their comments do turn out to be true.

Interesting point also was that Bono when asked about the new album he first said "we have finished" and then quickly corrected and said "we have nearly finished, we are in the home straight" > makes me believe that they have indeed finished recording the album and are only waiting to release it because of marketing strategies or that they just have to put some final mixing and mastering on the album!

What do you think about it? I guess we will sure see a March-Album-Release and a early February-Single-Release (one of the ten possible singles Bono mentioned)

Right now i`m very excited and really looking forwad to a great rock album!

bye Larrry

Jim said:
Some great comments on the new album:

- It's the album we've always wanted to make.
- The album is nearly finished
- It will be around for a long time / no fillers / all could be singles
Hilarious...these three EXACT quotes were used before ATYCLB, around about the same time in the album release time line.

Re: Re: Virgin Bono Interview: Comments in new album

Michael Griffiths said:

Hilarious...these three EXACT quotes were used before ATYCLB, around about the same time in the album release time line.

Maybe 1 and 3 will be true this time..:sexywink: :yes:

Haha, actually to be honest, I think ATYCLB is a modern classic, though not one of my favourite U2 albums. It also had 9 possible singles ('Grace' and 'Peace On Earth' not quite up to single material). When people think of ATYCLB, many think of Sept. 11th, and the aftermath. It encapsulates an era. It's also applicable to any time period. Therefore, I think point 3 holds true for ATYCLB. I have to say, I do listen to it a lot when I'm not feeling great. It's very uplifting in a way U2 have never quite been before.

I think point 1 was also probably true in ATYCLB's case. They wrote some very personal songs on that album and, to them, it probably was the album they always wanted to make. It was a soul/rock album, in the traditional sense. U2 have never been all that traditional, largely because they could never pull it off...but here they did.

Last edited:
I agree with you Mike that they have never been traditional. U2 has had so many times to repeat themselves after a successful album that I don't think they would begin doing that now. I know that that Bono has been using a lot of colorful adjectives to describe this new creation but even though I will be looking for all kinds of mad guitars, I know that it will be "U2 mad guitars"....which is totally different then the norm....like I have written many times before, having Chris Thomas producing the album will definately bring a new sound....there is no Eno/Lanois, no flood, no howie B, hell not even Lillywhite in the wings (that we know of :) ) so I am excited to see what a non-normal U2 person brings.

I'm just waiting for the 'no reverse gears in this tank' comment :)

One difference to me is that the word 'joy' was used alot to describe the last album and 'angry' is being mentioned more this time.

It's anybody's guess at this point.

I liked the air of mystery that used to surround their new records (in the days before the internet), particularly Achtung Baby. In effect Bono is continuing this by saying so much but so little. If the band gave us too many clues it would tarnish our anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom