views on this es review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allcub

The Fly
Just read this review of ES on dotmusic.com http://www.dotmusic.com/reviews/Singles/October2002/reviews26877.asp - This guy is basically saying that this is generic U2 stuff ie. it has all the U2 ingredients but missing that crucial X factor and I have to say I kind of agree. I'll never forget the feeling when I first heard The Fly on radio for the first time and ES just don't sound cutting edge which is what U2 always was to me. Anyway I like the song but it just don't blow me away. I don't post much on here but I've been a fan of U2 since the start. This guy is also surprised that U2 reclaimed the "biggest band in the world" title on the back of ATYCLB - such a benign record. Anyway was just wondering what yer views were on the review.

eh, it's just an opinion....so he doesn't like it, big deal. I like it, granted it's not their best song, but I like it.

To be honest, I don't see why people get so :mad: when a bad review comes up....a lot of these reviewers get paid to be negative. I dunno, I guess I just prefer to formulate my own opinion on things and not be swayed by what a critic has to say.

Eh - I didn't get :mad: just gave my "opinion". Though I have to say I can respect reviews positive or negative and no doubt the reviewer gets paid whether he thinks the song is great or crap. I notice this feedback forum is more geared supportive of positive feedback, but I'm just wonderin if anyone agreed with any of his points. I guess when your opinion is a bit controversial it's nice to see someone else feels the same way.

btw...... I do love U2 - In fact I wanna have puppies with them.

I agree with the guy. I've been saying all along that ES is a weak song and will be quickly forgotten (which we can see happening on the charts right now.)

allcub said:
Eh - I didn't get :mad: just gave my "opinion".

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear...I wasn't necessarily talking about you being :mad:....just generally when someone posts a negative review by a "professional critic" people seem to get all up in arms about it, and start ranting and raving about what a mindless jerk he/she is. I formulated my opinion based on past threads...and I was predicting that people would be :mad: again. My apologies.

I agree with him. I like ES, but there is nothing shattering about it. It's very traditional, sounds like a lot of the stuff on ATYCLB. A nice song, but nothing immaculate.

I really like ES, it's totally growing on me, gets better with each listen. I get really excited each time I hear the intro on the radio.

That being said, I know this song is not Pride or One or Gloria or deozens of other U2 songs that I'd want to play at my wedding, funeral, name my children after or whatever. That's not a big deal, this is a bonus track on a greatest hits compilation, of course they're not going to waste a total gem on that. It's just like with soundtracks, bands release these decent, not spectacular, songs that give their audience a good idea of what direction the music is taking and will tide them over until the next album comes out.

Just think of ES as an appetizer.

[personal opinion]

I fail to understand in what context this review was written. It' s describing more state of U2 than actual low points of the song. I think only a handful of publications still remembers the 'art of review'..NME, Q, RollingStone would be more definitive

I feel the life and nature of a U2 song depends on how well it can be translated live. If the band can put some energetic performance in E-Storm live, then it would become a classic as its a rock tune. Else it would be forgotten and rediscovered on this forum in 2 years time on this forum. So I wouldnt be dissapointed if it negatives reviews etc.

Last edited:
daisybean said:
a lot of these reviewers get paid to be negative.
:yes: or at least, they won't pick a critic who's a huge fan to review something. if i was a critic, they wouldn't pick me to review a new duran duran or U2 album, would they? they pick someone who either doesn't like them, or is neutral. so, they don't see the band for all the positive things that even a casual fan might. i actually love it when a critic pans something! those are always my favourite albums, so i know that means i'll probably love it. :laugh:

ES is a great song, but if it were truly an earth-shattering new U2 song, I doubt that it would of been used on this Best Of. It would of been saved for next full album. As is, it is a great track that compliments their new Best Of. It is much better than that Sweetest Thing '98 mix that U2 tried to pass off as "new" on the last Best Of.

Back
Top Bottom