Video Problems with Vertigo DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMTMKMKM

Babyface
Has anybody else noticed that there are some issues with the video quality on the Vertigo Live From Chicago dvd? For the record, I have a really high-quality system with a new 50 inch HD Samsung plasma and a Denon 2900 dvd player.

Especially in darker crowd scenes, I notice a lot of distracting "blocky" areas. For instance, check out the opening scene showing the stage in the dark before the band starts playing. Also, this is really noticeable in crowd shots where the lights reflect off the smoke over the crowd.

This problem is sometimes referred to as "macroblocking", and it's really irritating when you want to show off your system using an otherwise great concert dvd!

Anybody else see this, or am I totally nuts?

Yep compression issues as said above me.

Especially noticable in the red area's. A shame really never had it before on any other U2 dvd.

HMTMKMKM said:
Has anybody else noticed that there are some issues with the video quality on the Vertigo Live From Chicago dvd? For the record, I have a really high-quality system with a new 50 inch HD Samsung plasma and a Denon 2900 dvd player.

Especially in darker crowd scenes, I notice a lot of distracting "blocky" areas. For instance, check out the opening scene showing the stage in the dark before the band starts playing. Also, this is really noticeable in crowd shots where the lights reflect off the smoke over the crowd.

This problem is sometimes referred to as "macroblocking", and it's really irritating when you want to show off your system using an otherwise great concert dvd!

Anybody else see this, or am I totally nuts?

i've noticed the same. was a major disapointment to to watch the dvd on the big screen. i haven't noticed the same with the version that was broadcast on RAVE, it seems they may have tweeked it a bit before airing it.

It has to be the worst U2 DVD so far for a quality recording.. the filming, the editing and those pixelised blocks throughout the concert are so darn annoying...:huh:

I believe the compression artifacts are due to U2 including PCM Stereo, DTS & Dolby Digital soundtracks on the DVD. This meant the video stream had be to compressed to fit on the disc. The relatively long runtime contributed to this as well.

Back
Top Bottom