Very balls-y of them, don't you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa sounds like there were an insane amount of mushrooms being ingested during those recording sessions.

Zooropa is well ahead of it's time.

Numb1075 said:
Zooropa is well ahead of it's time.

Actually, I think that I sort of disagree with this--not a big deal, but I think there's a better way to put it. I mean, I look at the music that's been made since Zooropa came out, and that album IN NO WAY hinted at what was to come, for music. It may have had an overtly-electronic vibe going on, but it wasn't the kind of vibe which other bands would pick up as the electronica/techno scenes (re-)flourished in the mid-to-late '90s.

To me, one of the things that makes Zooropa so outlandishly successful is the fact that it was NOT ahead of it's time...nor was it behind the times...

Zooropa is, to put it simply, an album completely outside of time. The only song that even remotely puts the album in a historical context is "Zooropa," with its nods to pop culture/advertising of the day; aside from that, the album is conceptually, thematically, and stylistically difficult to position in any sort of meaningful context. I think that a remastered version of the album (which is BADLY needed...Eno/Lanois albums age TERRIBLY...JUST TERRIBLY!...from a sonic standpoint) would do a great deal to back me up with this. The sound QUALITY of the album has suffered over the years as technical innovations have been made, and a robust, fuller, re-mastered sound would help demonstrate just how timeless, so to speak, the album really is.

Sorry for getting all technical and goofy, over here. Regardless of "Why?" at least we can all (at least in this thread) agree that this album is remarkable. "Balls-y" is right, my friends. I don't necessarily miss the sound, cuz evolution is always needed...I just miss the bravado and daring.

Prince sings/sang in falsetto through entire songs. Sometimes not a very easy thing to do either as it can be trying on the 'ol vocal chords during the really high parts.

Come to think of it, it's a little ironic that U2 and Prince came along at virtually the same time and are just as popular now - if not MORE popular - as they were then.

Bono did mention somewhere that Lemon was a song done like Prince, so that makes perfect sense

Zooropa is a basically a well disquised cowboy/saloon album. The vast landscape of the American West being replaced by a deadened European, vaguely technologically overstimulated landscape. This was the beginning of Bono's infatuation with the 'loner character' that would dominate this album, Passengers (Yes, I know there's few lyrics but it's there) and Pop. Zooropa's true gift, though is inspiration. U2 have never been more creatively and artistically turned on as they were in those technology smitten days. That turn on is palpable everywhere and along with the weariness from the intense schedule they were keeping when recording it (which, I think helped lead them toward the weary character I mentioned before) makes Zooropa the best road record, I've heard. Yep there it is, Zooropa is a good old-fashioned rock road record.

Listening to Zooropa right now. What an excellent fucking record. Daddy's Gonna Pay is soooo catchy.

aha sha la!

Back
Top Bottom