Vertigo's screen vs Popmart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An Cat Gav said:
The popmart screen was better and cooler, but I think it was criminaly underused. It was only used during less then half of the songs, I can remember being a little disappointed by that. I think the point of the whole Popmart idea would have come across a lot better if they'd used the screen more.

Wow, do I ever agree with that.

They had the biggest screen in the history of the universe and used singular, simple images or not much at all.

I did like the fighter jets and the more colorful stuff though. the Bullet sections I remember being damn cool.

Totally from memory though, I haven't seen Mexico City in maybe 5 years and have no video boots. So all my recollections are from the two shows I attended and the last few times I watched Mexico City years ago. Shits over Vertigo though, which I thought was like some median between the bash of POPmart's screen and the direct simplicty of Elevation's visuals (which were done very well). Overall it wasn't bad, and even if POPmart screens were under-utilized, they were still kick ass and I'd have to vote for them if only because of the shopping cart. If Vertigo had an ape pushing a shopping cart, then we'd have a real debate.

tommycharles said:

No, it means the screens weren't necessary. ZooTV or Popmart could have been done Elevation/Lovetown style and it would not have decreased the quality of the show, some might say it would have made it better.

ZooTV could not have. The screens were making a point. The performances were great at ZooTV, and the screens really weren't that big of a deal.

Popmart

I think the screen wasn't used enough during the Vertigo Tour. They could have done a lot more with it, without disturbing the show.

not to burst any bubbles here, but correct me if im wrong...

solely going by the pic from the thread starter, the vertigo screen isnt exactly big at all, TO ME, it looks like the "screen" is actually just the light curtain, and the screens are at the top corners of the light curtains, which arent very big at all....

jus a thought tho, maybe im wrong :huh:

The Vertigo screen is revolutionary because it goes from lights to images in a snap.

U2DMfan said:
Overall it wasn't bad, and even if POPmart screens were under-utilized, they were still kick ass and I'd have to vote for them if only because of the shopping cart. If Vertigo had an ape pushing a shopping cart, then we'd have a real debate.

:lol:

:up:

The PopMart screen was just massive, I loved it. The Vertigo screen is cool too, but you cannot beat PopMart.

Indeed.

And underused? Im watching the POPmart: from mexico city now and it's being used in every song.

So im not sure what you call underused?

POPmart was such ahead of it's time, the gigantic screen, the stage everything.

Z00rop@83 said:
not to burst any bubbles here, but correct me if im wrong...

solely going by the pic from the thread starter, the vertigo screen isnt exactly big at all, TO ME, it looks like the "screen" is actually just the light curtain, and the screens are at the top corners of the light curtains, which arent very big at all....

jus a thought tho, maybe im wrong :huh:

Yes, you are wrong. :)
Although there are screens on the top edges, just above the PA system, they are not THE screen. Those screens were used for solely focusing on the band (and the occasional animation). What you mention as the light curtain is the screen. But this screen had a row of lights incorporated in it and by closing that row you had one big screen.
Maybe this picture will give you a better idea of what the screen looked like:
IMG_1834.jpg

:)

I think the answer obviously depends on which Tour you attender for :yes:

Since I attended to both Tours :D I have points to compare. I go with Pop Mart, because it was the first time in using that kind of widescreen live :drool: (at least by U2, remember Pink Floyd already used the Wall built on real time to show scary and shocking images in the second half of the show ;) in 1980-81) and always the first impression is more timeless :shocked:

So when we attended to the Vertigo Tour we already knew and experienced that kind of shows :up:

:wave:

Popmartijn said:

Yes, you are wrong. :)
Although there are screens on the top edges, just above the PA system, they are not THE screen. Those screens were used for solely focusing on the band (and the occasional animation). What you mention as the light curtain is the screen. But this screen had a row of lights incorporated in it and by closing that row you had one big screen.
Maybe this picture will give you a better idea of what the screen looked like:
IMG_1834.jpg

:)

ok i stand corrected... :madspit: jk

PopMart all the way. The Vertigo screen rocks, but the PopMart screen was just....revolutionary.

theu2fly said:
Wikipedia.org reports that POPMart's screen was 150 x 150 FT.

Well that's obviously not true, because, as anybody with a basic sense of geometry could tell you, it's not square.

I think it was around 120X70 ft. Roughly.

theu2fly said:
The Vertigo screen is revolutionary because it goes from lights to images in a snap.

Is this a joke? You realize that the lights and the screen are separate right? The Vertigo screen, when turned off, is very much like the PopMart screen. I.e. it's very transparent. So turning off the images and switching on lights is not revolutionary. They're two seperate elements in the same place that's all.

That's like saying my oven is revolutionary because I can go from my oven to my microwave in an instant. They're just two different devices in the same place, completely autonomous of each other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom