Vertigo's competition at the Grammys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Who has a list of each of the 3 categories and who they are against?

Here you go...

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)
Monkey To Man
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Track from: The Delivery Man
[Lost Highway Records]

Take Me Out
Franz Ferdinand
Track from: Franz Ferdinand
[Domino Recording Co.]

American Idiot
Green Day
Track from: American Idiot
[Reprise Records]

Somebody Told Me
The Killers
Track from: Hot Fuss
[Island Records]

Vertigo
U2
[Interscope Records]

Best Rock Song
(A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)
American Idiot
Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt & Tré Cool, songwriters (Green Day)
Track from: American Idiot
[Reprise Records; Publishers: WB Music Corp. & Green Daze Music.]

Fall To Pieces
Duff, Dave Kushner, Slash, Matt Sorum & Scott Weiland, songwriters (Velvet Revolver)
Track from: Contraband
[RCA; Publishers: Velvet Revolver Songs, Slash & Cash Publishing.]

Float On
Isaac Brock, Dann Gallucci, Eric Judy & Benjamin Weikel, songwriters (Modest Mouse)
Track from: Good News For People Who Love Bad News
[Epic Records; Publishers: Ugly Casanova, Tschudi Music & The Best Dressed Chicken In Town.]

Somebody Told Me
Brandon Flowers, Dave Keuning, Mark Stoermer & Ronnie Vannucci, songwriters (The Killers)
Track from: Hot Fuss
[Island Records; Publisher: The Killers Publishing.]

Vertigo
Bono, Adam Clayton, The Edge & Larry Mullen, songwriters (U2)
[Interscope Records; Publisher: Universal Polygram International Publishing.]

Best Short Form Music Video
(For an individual track or single promotional clip. Award to the Artist and to the Video Director/Producer.)
Take Me Out
Franz Ferdinand
Jonas Odell, video director; John Moule, video producer
[Domino Recording Co.]

American Idiot
Green Day
Samuel Bayer, video director; Tim Lynch, video producer
[Reprise]

Flawless
George Michael
Jake Scott, video director; David Mitchell, video producer
[Epic]

Walkie Talkie Man
Steriogram
Michel Gondry, video director; Julie Fong, video producer
[Capitol Records]

Vertigo
U2
Alex & Martin, video director; Grace Bodie, video producer
[Interscope Records]

I think U2 is facing extremely tough competition in both the song and rock performance categories - and this is from someone who normally thinks Grammy voters are sniffing glue.

Honestly out of the list I'd only give U2 a Grammy for SHort Form Music Video.

Franz Ferdinand has a good chance of winning in the Rock group category, Take Me Out is a great song and doesn't fail to get me into it w/e I hear it

I still do hope U2 sweeps all:wink:

The grammys will not be giving the award to new bands like ferdinand or the killers........at least the "best rock performance " award
They will give it to U2
The Green Day tune is good, but Vertigo is superior

The worst thing could happen is one of these bands stealing the best rock song, the way Train did it in 2002 or the video award

Also, U2 will play in the ceremonies along with Green Day in the rock field.

U2 is the biggest band in the world. This event is bussiness and about rating.
They are not going to leave U2 sitting there and not having a performance of Vertigo in their show.

At least a performance and a Grammy will be guaranteed

" And God walked through the room in our record and i wanna give thanks, Amen"

Amen B-man

There's an article on MTV that says the Killers are performing, but I haven't seen any other list of performers.

sensnucksfan said:
There's an article on MTV that says the Killers are performing, but I haven't seen any other list of performers.

Check with Grammy.com for updates but thus far I haven't seen an official list of performers, only the announcement that Queen Latifah is hosting.

i think u2 should perform at 2006 grammys instead.......surely they will have a list of nominations similar to what they had for ATYCLB at 2002 awards.......

I am really disappointed that American Idiot and not Boulevard of Broken Dreams is nominated, it's an excellent song, best Green Day have ever done. They have really come along way in their songwriting skills and are developing into a quality band that has taken it to another level.

U2 for the video
Greenday for Rock Song
If theres any justice Franz or the Killers will win best rock performance by a band or duo

I'd give it to Vertigo for all three catagories. The only one I might consider changing is Best Rock Performance, and give it to Elvis Costello. :D His new album is fantastic!

LemonMacPhisto said:
Franz Ferdinand has a good chance of winning in the Rock group category, Take Me Out is a great song and doesn't fail to get me into it w/e I hear it

I still do hope U2 sweeps all:wink:

Neither can happen. Green Day is guaranteed to win Best Rock Song and Best Rock Record because that same song is nominated for Record Of The Year and Song of The Year......U2 and Franz's only chances are to win the Video of the Year award.

I think U2 wins more then just the video award because in my opinion The Grammys wouldnt have invited them to perform unless they won something more substancial then that....So yes it is true Green Day is nominated for the big awards this year I believe that U2 will win one of the other 2 not including video of the year.

Do they have to perform Vertigo?

I hope they perform SYCMIOYO instead. I think the SNL performance of that is the best performance of any song they have done from HTDAAB. That performance reminded me of why Bono is still the best vocalist in Pop/Rock today.

mkjc said:
Do they have to perform Vertigo?

I hope they perform SYCMIOYO instead. I think the SNL performance of that is the best performance of any song they have done from HTDAAB. That performance reminded me of why Bono is still the best vocalist in Pop/Rock today.

I agree. That was a brilliant performance; they all absolutely nailed it. And I can't think of anyone else in rock who could hit those notes as well as Bono.

U2Kitten said:
I am really disappointed that American Idiot and not Boulevard of Broken Dreams is nominated, it's an excellent song, best Green Day have ever done. They have really come along way in their songwriting skills and are developing into a quality band that has taken it to another level.

Don't be disappointed. While the album "American Idiot" was released in time for the Grammies, the song, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", was not. It may be nominated for the 2006 Grammy awards. In other words, even if it was the best song ever made :wink: it couldn't win a Grammy this year as it wasn't released in time.

Usually the rock awards are not televised, and as such, I didn't expect to see U2 there. The fact that U2 are performing does suggest will see at least some of the rock awards televised (most likely "best rock song by a group or duo" category).

As for U2... while I'm happy to see them playing, I would be very surprised to see them win anything. I think they are playing as a way to help gain them some publicity (for both the album and the upcoming tour). I believe this is Green Day's year and I'm sensing they will sweep the rock categories.

I, personally, feel that "Vertigo" is far superior to "American Idiot" as that song sounds like something off of "Dookie" (i.e., not horribly original, even if the lyrics are interesting). This is not meant to knock Green Day, it's just that I don't think that is the best song in that category. Nonetheless, I think Green Day will win big this year. If U2 has the year I'm hoping, I think we'll see U2 win big next year.

Last edited:
I think they have to perform Vertigo its sort of a Grammy standard but I am still looking forward to it being played.

Back
Top Bottom