Vertigo vs Native Son(Survey)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far, it's 30-7 Vertigo. I don't get it. I think NS is less-in-your-face and more musically interesting and lyrically miles and miles and miles ahead of Vertigo. Keep voting.

namkcuR said:
So far, it's 30-7 Vertigo. I don't get it. I think NS is less-in-your-face and more musically interesting and lyrically miles and miles and miles ahead of Vertigo. Keep voting.

I think the lyrics are a lot more meaningful than most people give it credit for. Despite sounding like a party song, it is about our chaotic world and how turning to God can help through it.

Yeah, I think Bono's best lyrics are the ones that don't sound meaningful until you think about them. "Native Son" just whacks you over the head with its "LOOK AT ME, I'M IMPORTANT" stick.

Native Son sounds sort of..."bleh". That's why it's now Vertigo. Cause it's better.

bsp77 said:

I think the lyrics are a lot more meaningful than most people give it credit for. Despite sounding like a party song, it is about our chaotic world and how turning to God can help through it.

Perhaps, but that is less meaningful to someone who doesn't believe in God, like me.

namkcuR said:

Perhaps, but that is less meaningful to someone who doesn't believe in God, like me.

It doesn't have to do anything with God.

I see the song as a balancing act between being a good person and being bad(superficial, priorities screwed up..ect). I've lived the party life (still do at times), going out and get wasted, wound up making mistakes only to realize the next morning that's not what I'm about. To me it's a song about the contradictions we all face...the "Vertigo" you feel when your trying to balance those 2 worlds. Maybe some of the people who don't "get" vertigo have never really experienced that balancing act.

vetigo, but i also like the lyrics to native son, "bullets start to fly, he's hurt, he's in the dirt on my word i did not take his life"

Back
Top Bottom