Vertigo Video - Cool! Instructions here how to see it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny AOL got the first shot at showing this.

On the AOL main page "See U2's new Vertigo Video before it hits MTV from AOL firstview".

Like the song, this is a new direction for U2. Never really doing a video quite like this, I really like it. It's simple, direct, rockin' and for someone not too savvy with special effects etc. it's visually stunning.

The part where the ground starts to break apart after the explosion (the black lines of smoke around the target, then they start spinning our of control is jsut awsome. And, like evyone else, the bridge is my favorite part of the video, it's just so cool. Damn, great video. Best since Stay.

Its a good video, not great. I really like the theme and it really rocks but then it gets so repetitive, especially the black smoke shit behind all of them. The first 5 seconds of it was great, then I'm like "uhh..ok, we get it." The whole thing just repeats itself a little too much, but overall I think its a good video. I love the part of the bridge where everything goes down, best part!! Overall, give it a 7/10. Of course, this is all on my first time watching it.

boosterjuice said:

how doesn't the video make sense?

It makes perfect sense to me.

The whole explotion and jet stream has to do with a nuclear reaction (atomic bomb). The whole movement and dizzyness of the video alludes to the feeling of Vertigo.
What I think is especially cool is when they are down in the pit (for the bridge of the song) and Bono sings "all of this can be yours". This is clearly from a biblical passage where Satan takes Jesus to the top of a mountain and says "all of this can be yours if you will bow and worship me" (not exact).

Actually the feeling of Vertigo is not really conveyed very well. If you've ever felt Vertigo, it makes you bob back and forth and drop to the ground. Bono is not experiencing Vertigo in the video....I really don't want to get into a huge discussion of this video because I know how these discussions get on this forum:

basically if you don't go with the crowd you are alienated...

...so I LOVE the video it is the greatest video ever.

p.s. I do agree with your analyzation of the pit, very good eye you have, I didn't catch that reference.

PowerSurge said:

Actually the feeling of Vertigo is not really conveyed very well. If you've ever felt Vertigo, it makes you bob back and forth and drop to the ground. Bono is not experiencing Vertigo in the video....I really don't want to get into a huge discussion of this video because I know how these discussions get on this forum:

basically if you don't go with the crowd you are alienated...

...so I LOVE the video it is the greatest video ever.

p.s. I do agree with your analyzation of the pit, very good eye you have, I didn't catch that reference.

first of all, if i'm not mistaken, everyone has some sort of fluid near their ears or somewhere inbetween them which helps our brain figure out which way the ground is so it projects the images properly from our eyes if we tilt our head to either side, but when you get vertigo, its usually because some sort of infection occurs in this fluid and the brain starts to project the image improperly so it could give the effect of the room you're in spinning around, etc...

also, bono doesn't say i am experiencing vertigo.. he says i'm at a place called vertigo, that doesn't imply the same thing ;)

I have a few questions/observations about the video. Supposedly Bono was almost struck by lightning during the filming of the video. How? Never looked stormy to me?

I'm assuming the black fuzzy lines are supposed to be atom bomb effects similiar to what you see in the old '50's test bomb movies where you see the house get blown away from an A-Bomb test? Also, for some reason I think the video would have been better if they would have been able to film it outside of Los Alamos instead of Spain where they ended up filming it.

bcrt2000 said:

first of all, if i'm not mistaken, everyone has some sort of fluid near their ears or somewhere inbetween them which helps our brain figure out which way the ground is so it projects the images properly from our eyes if we tilt our head to either side, but when you get vertigo, its usually because some sort of infection occurs in this fluid and the brain starts to project the image improperly so it could give the effect of the room you're in spinning around, etc...

also, bono doesn't say i am experiencing vertigo.. he says i'm at a place called vertigo, that doesn't imply the same thing ;)

Not to be a picky f*ck, but you don't have to have an infection to experience Vertigo, the average person leaning over a ledge of a tall building will easily experience Vertigo.

As for Bono saying, "I'm at a place called Vertigo" I think we can safely say that he is referring metaphorically to the FEELING of Vertigo.

All I'm saying is that the video doesn't do a great job of expressing this. I mean why is the band on fire, or leaving streaks? what is that? Everything all around them is moving up and down, but it seems like the band are not affected...maybe this is speaking to a deeper meaning......but I choose to keep it simpler.
The song is called Vertigo, they talk about temptation vs. faith and the feeling that the battle between the two give can be compared to a feeling of Vertigo.
I like the part where Bono sings about "Give me what I want and no one gets hurt" because the dark engulfing hole they fall into really does mirror what it my have felt like for Jesus being tempted by Satan/Bono by Rockstardom. But the rest of the video is poor.

Hey, you have your opinion, I got mine. I guess we agree...to disagree....

...which is all that two intelligent and very astute individuals can do.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom