VERTIGO - the uncluttered version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
After listening to Vertigo and Native Son several times, it seems like if only Vertigo was less cluttered, without all the dorky spanish words, the yeah yeahs and the awful 'all of this could be yours...' line, it would sound pretty close to perfect. Has anyone tried making such a mix? It would be something like this...

VERTIGO - the uncluttered version!

*opening beat* (4x4 but after 2, the main riff starts fading in, growing louder... NO spanish intro, NO 'turn it up captain')

*main riff* x4

Lights go down............ mind can wander

Hello Hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo *NO hola or donda esta*
It's everything I wish I....... feeeeeeeeeel

The night is full............... swinging to the music (repeated until fade) * NO woaaah woah woaaaah woah *

chorus.

Check mated.... etc........ *keep or remove, either way*

*solo*

*NO 'all of this could be yours' line... just some really cool Boy era instrumentals with Edge's ooh's in the background *

chorus.

kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

*opening riff repeats and fades away and it ends with Larry crashing down on the cymbals just like the present version*
NO yeah yeah yeah's.

What do you guys think? And I'm dying to make something like this but don't have the mixer or required equipment. :wink:

We already have a no-fun version of "Vertigo," and it's called "Native Son."

I agree completely.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm skilled enough, nor do I have complex enough software(what you're suggesting would require being able to edit audio with layers) to do so.

typhoon said:
We already have a no-fun version of "Vertigo," and it's called "Native Son."

The thing with Native Son is... even though it's overall less clunky and dorky, it doesn't have the punch of Vertigo! Vertigo's beat, bass and riff knock the hell out of NS.

The Disciple said:
U just have problem with Espanol! :wink:

No no... that's not it at all. It's all those goofy words and phrases, whether english or spanish.. seem so out of place! 1, 2, 3, 14... what's that supposed to mean anyway? :huh:

I think "Native Son" is too confrontational to take the place of "Vertigo." It's a little corney. (Not that some parts of "Vertigo" aren't corney.)

Rachel D. said:
I think "Native Son" is too confrontational to take the place of "Vertigo." It's a little corney. (Not that some parts of "Vertigo" aren't corney.)

Native Son is interesting, but Vertigo is better. I like the spanish feel; it's kind of sexy and serious at the same time. (I think that was the first time I've written 'sexy' in a post). :wink:

WalkOn21 said:
Vertigo sounds like a bunch of guys in their 40's trying to make rock music. Native Son is pure rock.

:wink:

It's the difference in real vitality and no vitality.

It's not hard to comprehend if you write and record music.

Even if you don't, think about it.

Take song X, you wrote as a poem, then imagine it so fucking polluted by time and rehearsal that it ended up bieng nothing like you wanted. Maybe it's still good, but it's nothing like the way it started. Emotions become desensitized the more they are revisited.

The different between trying to make a "hit" and trying to make a fucking "song" that lasts.

Rachel D. said:

Hilarious.

What is corny about Native Son? that isn't hideously, atrociously corny about Vertigo?

What makes the difference for you?

I think Native Son is a fucking million miles better.

"on the run", "native son" that Edge is singing is cool, clever harmony, it's been done a million times but it sounds good. There is a difference between that an hijacking "you keep me hangingi on", 1,2,3,14, hola, donde esta and 'turn it up loud captain'

how about the bridge, I'd like to find one brave soul to say Vertigo has the better brdige.

Last edited:
Native Son is a song. Vertigo is a single. This forum seems to be far more skewed to 'hit singles' being U2's main reason for being, over great songs and music, and each to their own, but I'd take Native Son over Vertigo any day of the week. Those riffs make sense in Native Son, they're part of the story - a far better story. It's as natural as Vertigo is forced. It's as rockin' as Vertigo isn't. And yes, the bridge for Native Son completely shits all over the useless "Wait for it kids!!! Here it comes!!!" bridge for Vertigo. Anyone else just feel like singing "A mole/digging in a hole" after the Vertigo bridge?

as a songwriter, I would have outdone myself to write Native Son and would have been proud.

Vertigo seems like what I would have done to make all my friends, their friends and family to like it.

Dumb it down.

Zootlesque said:

The thing with Native Son is... even though it's overall less clunky and dorky, it doesn't have the punch of Vertigo! Vertigo's beat, bass and riff knock the hell out of NS.

What you mean is you didn't get a fully mastered album version where you could hear all of the good stuff, you got a vesion that was mastered to be a b-side.

The "punch", what a crock of shit. it's the difference bewtween proper and disregarded. Listen to "luminous times" and listen to In God's Country. It's the same master tapes. The difference is in how they are mastered to a final mix, without getting into nerd cetnral about final mixing, the long and short of it is, you don't have a proper recording of it and neither do I, if we are to compare it to album material.

I can tell the difference. The punch you are talking about is volume.

Exactly. When you listen to Native Son, listen to it with room to imagine the 5-10% better production you'd get had it actually made an album. This thing was disregarded, what, a year and a half or more ago? Then maybe dressed up a tad for a "b-side"release. U2 wouldn't release it on an album as it sounds currently.

U2DMfan said:

What you mean is you didn't get a fully mastered album version where you could hear all of the good stuff, you got a vesion that was mastered to be a b-side.

The "punch", what a crock of shit. it's the difference bewtween proper and disregarded. Listen to "luminous times" and listen to In God's Country. It's the same master tapes. The difference is in how they are mastered to a final mix, without getting into nerd cetnral about final mixing, the long and short of it is, you don't have a proper recording of it and neither do I, if we are to compare it to album material.

I can tell the difference. The punch you are talking about is volume.

I see what you're saying there. Native Son sounds like it was not yet album-ready. It has a neglected feel to it. As for Vertigo, it is the bass and of course the volume that give it the added punch. But volume is actually more of a problem on this album.

God Part III said:
Vertigo > Native Son.

Fact :wink:

Agreed.

Why does everyone want to change Vertigo? the song is FUN. is that bad??

and you can't take out the oooh-oooh-oooh's after "swinging to the music," that's like one of the best parts :wink:

Zootlesque said:

No no... that's not it at all. It's all those goofy words and phrases, whether english or spanish.. seem so out of place! 1, 2, 3, 14... what's that supposed to mean anyway? :huh:

Why everything U2 does must mean something?

:eyebrow:

Why do people constantly have to bitch at each other about what's essentially the same fucking song?

If you somehow love Native Son and can't stand Vertigo (or the other way around), you're full of shit. Simple as that. I can see it if one were to slightly prefer one version, but to shower praise on one version and to shit on the other is a bit senseless. :huh:

victor_f said:

Why everything U2 does must mean something?

:eyebrow:

Why would anyone go 1, 2, 3 and 14 in a foreign language unless they don't know any better and have made a mistake? Do you honestly like that line.. 'all of this can be yours, just gimme what I want and no one gets hurt'??? Soooooo bad!!!

XHendrix24 said:
Why do people constantly have to bitch at each other about what's essentially the same fucking song?

If you somehow love Native Son and can't stand Vertigo (or the other way around), you're full of shit. Simple as that. I can see it if one were to slightly prefer one version, but to shower praise on one version and to shit on the other is a bit senseless. :huh:

I think the people that prefer Native Son like it because it is a serious rock song and not a somewhat silly, really catchy top 40 rock charts hit. I personally prefer Vertigo musically and Native Son lyrically! :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

I think the people that prefer Native Son like it because it is a serious rock song and not a somewhat silly, really catchy top 40 rock charts hit. I personally prefer Vertigo musically and Native Son lyrically! :shrug:

..Which is perfectly acceptable in my eyes, since you acknowlege that each song has its good points and bad points instead of praising one song while completely trashing the other.

(aka I wasn't referring to you, sorry if it came off that way :wink:)

XHendrix24 said:

..Which is perfectly acceptable in my eyes, since you acknowlege that each song has its good points and bad points instead of praising one song while completely trashing the other.

(aka I wasn't referring to you, sorry if it came off that way :wink:)

Actually, I didn't think you were referring to me anyway. I was just trying to say why I think some people prefer Native Son. Whether Native Son would have been much better musically had it made the album is something we can never answer.

Okay, here's something. This is a mix that somebody here made. It's Native Son, the Vertigo Mix! ;) It's interesting, check it out!

http://s62.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=2K71ELTIQV0SM1LT88IFHYRDQ8

Please remove the spaces in that link.

I think most people around this forum who love Native Son, at the very least think Vertigo is decent, if not good, but seriously flawed, it would be up to you to point out differently.
If you think they are the exact same song, I'd question your capacity for evalutating the difference between any two recordings at all. You'd be useless in the studio, you'd be the one saying "ah, it's all good". You would be the sunshine pumper I wouldn't want in my studio. "It's cool Bono, we just dig your voice". Give me a break, I could spend 500 words on the differences between the two songs. It's the difference between getting it and not even caring about what "it" is. I sound like a condescending douche when I say that but I have never typed anything more true on this whole forum.

if it has the same melody, it's the same song? Would you say that 'Keep Me Hanging On" by Holland, Dozier, Holland performed by the Surpremes is the same song as Vertigo? It has the same basic chorus melody. Is it the same song? Fucking of course not.

Back
Top Bottom