VERTIGO - the uncluttered version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2DMfan said:

What you mean is you didn't get a fully mastered album version where you could hear all of the good stuff, you got a vesion that was mastered to be a b-side.

The "punch", what a crock of shit. it's the difference bewtween proper and disregarded. Listen to "luminous times" and listen to In God's Country. It's the same master tapes. The difference is in how they are mastered to a final mix, without getting into nerd cetnral about final mixing, the long and short of it is, you don't have a proper recording of it and neither do I, if we are to compare it to album material.

I can tell the difference. The punch you are talking about is volume.

For all your knowledge of music mixing and deconstruction your forgetting the business side of things. Vertigo was a world wide Smash hit.
Native Son wouldn't have been, it's not as catchy and clever.
I prefer the musical side of Native Son by a mile. But the punch and the hooks of Native Son are definately a bit deflated.
Cheers

U2DMfan said:
I think most people around this forum who love Native Son, at the very least think Vertigo is decent, if not good, but seriously flawed, it would be up to you to point out differently.
If you think they are the exact same song, I'd question your capacity for evalutating the difference between any two recordings at all. You'd be useless in the studio, you'd be the one saying "ah, it's all good". You would be the sunshine pumper I wouldn't want in my studio. "It's cool Bono, we just dig your voice". Give me a break, I could spend 500 words on the differences between the two songs. It's the difference between getting it and not even caring about what "it" is. I sound like a condescending douche when I say that but I have never typed anything more true on this whole forum.

if it has the same melody, it's the same song? Would you say that 'Keep Me Hanging On" by Holland, Dozier, Holland performed by the Surpremes is the same song as Vertigo? It has the same basic chorus melody. Is it the same song? Fucking of course not.

Obviously Vertigo and Native Son aren't exactly the same song (and I'd like to point out I never said that, just for the record), but their similarities vastly outweigh their differences. Basically the same musical background and melodies, with some alterations here and there, along with a different bridge. It's still the same core song, though.

And it's basically comments like "Native Son is a fucking million miles better than Vertigo," "Comparing the bridges in these songs is like a 90 year old woman fighting 1988 Mike Tyson," and "It's the difference in real vitality and no vitality" that makes it seem like some people think of Vertigo as a little more than "seriously flawed" while defending Native Son to the death.

Also, I find it somewhat proposterous for you to say that Vertigo turned out completely different than how Bono wanted it to turn out. Did you personally speak to Bono and attain this information? Because to me, it seems equally likely that Native Son was a rough idea that Bono eventually molded into something that he could be proud of.

That's probably all I'll have to say about the matter, since it seems somewhat trivial to argue about something as subjective as music. Especially when the two songs being compared are basically two different versions of the same song, anyway. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
After listening to Vertigo and Native Son several times, it seems like if only Vertigo was less cluttered, without all the dorky spanish words, the yeah yeahs and the awful 'all of this could be yours...' line, it would sound pretty close to perfect. Has anyone tried making such a mix? It would be something like this...

VERTIGO - the uncluttered version!

*opening beat* (4x4 but after 2, the main riff starts fading in, growing louder... NO spanish intro, NO 'turn it up captain')

*main riff* x4

Lights go down............ mind can wander

Hello Hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo *NO hola or donda esta*
It's everything I wish I....... feeeeeeeeeel

The night is full............... swinging to the music (repeated until fade) * NO woaaah woah woaaaah woah *

chorus.

Check mated.... etc........ *keep or remove, either way*

*solo*

*NO 'all of this could be yours' line... just some really cool Boy era instrumentals with Edge's ooh's in the background *

chorus.

kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

*opening riff repeats and fades away and it ends with Larry crashing down on the cymbals just like the present version*
NO yeah yeah yeah's.

What do you guys think? And I'm dying to make something like this but don't have the mixer or required equipment. :wink:

since when is my language spanish so "dorky"??????!!!!????:mad: :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom