Vertigo Sounds like......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
"You Keep Me Hanging On" by Kim Wilde

Seriously, the chorus has nearly the same chord progression as Vertigo. Even the vocals are similar.

What other songs have you noticed that sound similar to Vertigo or any other song on hut dab?

Wow, you're right!

Hey, come to think of it, Kim Wilde's "You Keep Me Hanging On" sounds just like... The Supremes' song "You Keep Me Hanging On"! ':wink:'

we had a thread about this 4 months ago;
it's not the same chord progression; only the first 2 chords in vertigo's chorus (E and D) are the same as the first 2 of YKMHO. the meoldy is similar, but not the same.

on a side not, somebody said the main riff is stolen from a pixies tune. can anyone corroberate this?

Okay, everyone is making fun of me for listening to Kim Wilde :sad:

The truth is, I heard YKMHO on the office radio and I thought to myself ; "this sounds exactly like Vertigo." Then I researched to see who sang it.

on a side not, somebody said the main riff is stolen from a pixies tune. can anyone corroberate this?
This is a Supremes original made popular by Wilde.

Somebody said (few months ago) that a Hungarian rock (metal?) band has almost the same riff in one of their songs. He sent me one part of it and it'sa scarily similair = everything is the same except it goes like this:
D>slide>E x 3 like Vertigo
and then hold A chord/riff instead of going down for G

it's a very basic rock riff, it's probably been duplicated 10 times over. Big deal. Every riff has similarities to others. (just about).

Discotheque and the Fly use rather generic riffs too. BUt they rock and they are cool, so who gives a fuck?

btw, Holland, Dozier and Holland wrote the song 'you keep me hanging on' for the Supremes.

I said before in another another thread. Vertigo is also has the exact same chorus riff as "Do you Feel Loved". E, D, G, A

E D
Hello, Hello
G A
I'm at a place called Vertigo

E D
Do you Feel Loved?
G A
Do you feel Loved?

But the reason why I think Vertigo more closely resembles "You Keep Me hanging On" is because the melody is also very similar and not just the chords.

JOFO said:
we had a thread about this 4 months ago;
it's not the same chord progression; only the first 2 chords in vertigo's chorus (E and D) are the same as the first 2 of YKMHO. the meoldy is similar, but not the same.

I posted ages ago saying the riff was the same as the one in "Anaesthetic" by the British band Feeder, I don't know how many Americans (Or Europeans for that matter) will have heard of them, but it is IDENTICAL. Its from the album "Yesterday went too soon" which came out at the end of the ninties.

"Renegades of Funk" by the Rage Against The Machine____ the riff begins somewhere around 00:32 and continues throughout the song.

Pero said:
sorry if i'm mistaking but i saw many times Gm instead of G, but it sounds the same

What U2 might be doing is playing a G5. This is an ambigious chord and is neither a minor nor a major. But I'm still certain it is G major.

Back
Top Bottom