Vertigo on iTUNES Friday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
Vertigo will be on the radio waves this friday. Do you all think the band will make the song available on iTunes so as to counteract the many bootleg .mp3 versions of the song that will start poping up? I hope so. I want to be able to listen to a cd quality cut of the song and can't bear to wait until Nov.8 when the single is released!:hyper: This week is gona be agonizing!!Let it be Friday NOW!!:scream:

Salim

The last I recall of itunes and as familar as I am with it I think they take 35% cut of each single is that right? If you cut out the middle man making Cd's and shipping and all that junk why are the artist not getting a bigger percentage of the cut from labels off of Itune sales?

Market wise I am not sure how far itunes reaches , I know i can't access it I think over 55-60% of music sales are outside U.S?

Plus I wonder what it does to actual album sales as a whole. I guess if you a strong album full of singles it is more viable then if you just have one or two singles to market..

I suppose alot of things factor ito a decision to put it on Itunes and I'm not sure if any of the things I mention effect a band like U2.. who usually have a really good handle on the business end

the singles going to end up on p2p anyway so..

But to answer your question.. i don't think it's been mentioned other the Bono's quote about putting it up if the missing disk ended up on the net

Last edited:
Right Kate. Point is, the band knows U2 fans are going to buy the single (specially CD #2 and the dvd) regardless of wether or not they have an mp3 version of it already. So isn't it in their best interest to release it on the web and get a piece of the market that will othierwise be forced to look for an illegal version on some P2P!

Last edited:
We dont have itunes here. And we cant access the USA one as it comes up with an "you dont have a USA home address" error.

What thats got to do with it I dont know. :shrug:

Who cares if it's on iTunes? Even if I could access iTunes, I'd still record it off an online radio stream. Easier and cheaper.

Right Kate. Point is, the band knows U2 fans are going to buy the single (specially CD #2 and the dvd) regardless of wether or not they have an mp3 version of it already. So isn't it in their best interest to release it on the web and get a piece of the market that will othierwise be forced to look for an illegal version on some P2P!

I think the way they have packaged the single makes it less sense to be for I-Tunes.. I think that's smart they way they've put it together.. But to those who use I-Tunes it's consumer friendly in someways then going to a record store.. etc etc.. and there will be a group who won't neccesarily be interested in special CD they just want the music.. You can put buyers into a few categories..

are you looking to sell an album or a single.. and given that answer to what's the best option

I guess it comes down to figuring out the best possible option and going with that gamble ... i think there are really great opportunites for the music industry and artists with things like ipod etccc.. if they could only balance it out..

if it's as simple as putting it on itunes to get a piece of the profit then okay.... but you know U2 are about much more then that.. they've been good to date about factoring in the fan want factor..

Who cares if it's on iTunes? Even if I could access iTunes, I'd still record it off an online radio stream. Easier and cheaper.
I think your with a majority.. although the argument for Itunes might be for those interested in sound quality as well.. maybe

Last edited:
Katey said:
I think that's smart they way they've put it together..

I think its highly opportunistic they way theyve put it together. And I dont mean that in a good way. It smacks a bit of trying to make the most amount of money.

/rant

Axver said:

Well, I for one would rather just spend .99cents than sit on my computer waiting for an online radio station to play Vertigo, then have to recorded with software I don't have.

beli said:
Axver, how do you do that, please?

There are probably much better ways to do it than my method, but this is the way I know how to do it and it works well enough.

You will hopefully have Windows Movie Maker in the Accessories section of your Start Menu. That's where I came across it. Then you do the following;

File --> 'Record ...' --> and then just click the 'record' button.

In the 'Record ...' section, you might want to go to 'Change Device ...' and set it to either Mono Out or Wave Mix Out. Experiment before recording Vertigo to see which gives you the better results. I was recording with Wave Mix Out from an online stream and getting perfect results, but just now I was recording from a bootleg playing through WinAmp and Mono Out gave me a superior result.

Give it a whirl and see where you get to.

I'm actually a big fan of itunes - its very easy to use and since I have an ipod it just works well. I have not bought an actual CD in over a year - I think that since u2 already has a relationship with itunes (the band actually helped promote the launch of itunes) I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of new u2 - or their back catalog in the coming weeks
side note - REM released an album "sampler" that you could download for free - perhaps U2 will follow

I'll be downloading vertigo from itunes as soon as its released - the quality is excellent

But I think apple is shooting itself in the foot by not having Itunes go global - only 4 countries have itunes now

salim117 said:

Well, I for one would rather just spend .99cents than sit on my computer waiting for an online radio station to play Vertigo, then have to recorded with software I don't have.

Some radio stations have announced what time they'll play it, so that's easy. And I'm pretty sure anyone with a Windows (XP?) machine has Windows Movie Maker, which is what I use to record.

And ultimately, I don't want to pay 99 cents for a song I'll be buying on CD soon anyway. Plus, if I can get something online for free, I'll get it online for free. I'll have my cake and eat it too, thankyouverymuch.

I think its highly opportunistic they way theyve put it together. And I dont mean that in a good way. It smacks a bit of trying to make the most amount of money.

your giving fans options, and things they might have asked for in the past. does that mean potential for a larger profit..sure.
also a bit of an extra expense with more options ..budget ..costs..meeting targets ..keeping record companies semi happy and paying the bills all that fun side of the music business..

all it will take is one out of thousands of U2 fans to record it off the radio, and host it, and then we'll all have it. simple as that.

Axver, Im thick with these kinds of things so please humour me. How do I point Windows Movie Maker to the web radio station? I have URLs of a couple of stations but where do I enter that in Windows Movie Maker?

And yes, I agree with Mikal. Someone else will record it and upload it.

beli said:
Axver, Im thick with these kinds of things so please humour me. How do I point Windows Movie Maker to the web radio station? I have URLs of a couple of stations but where do I enter that in Windows Movie Maker?

Windows Movie Maker records whatever is coming out of your speakers or headphones. Just play the online radio stream as you normally would and then follow the steps with WMM.

(When you're recording Vertigo, just be careful you don't get all kinds of other noises coming through your speakers as well! I'm going to turn the sound off on everything else on my computer on the 24th ...)

nurse chrissi said:
apple is shooting itself in the foot by not having Itunes go global - only 4 countries have itunes now

it's a bit more complicated than just "having iTunes go global". Each country has its own politics of recording labels and contracts. Rumors have gone around that apple has negotiating with Canada and Japan for quite a while. I don't know what is involved, but whatever. Here's hoping for some new U2 on iTunes soon.

beli said:
Got it. I had to set the line to "stereo mixer" and it works. Thanks

Owww, I have a new toy now.........

Awesome! I'm glad it works for you now. I'll probably be running tests with the feed I determine to use so that I know what to use to attain the best quality.

Have any Australian or Kiwi radio stations confirmed when they will be playing it?

(And in case anyone is wondering why I'm talking about recording it when I'm going to be on holiday, things turned into a mess in that department and I'm not going. Kind of relieved really.)

Easier and cheaper than I-tunes?

Not easier, and if you don't have .99 cents for a true quality recording from one of your favorite bands then I feel sorry for you. I personally don't need some radio dj talking on the front end and back end of the world's greatest band...and at half the quality.

Itunes

<<<it's a bit more complicated than just "having iTunes go global". Each country has its own politics of recording labels and contracts. Rumors have gone around that apple has negotiating with Canada and Japan for quite a while. I don't know what is involved, but whatever. Here's hoping for some new U2 on iTunes soon.>>

take it from someone who works in the music industry and we have tons of our label product on ITunes.. this post is correct..
they just recently launched the UK, German and French versions.. I am sure Australia is not far behind.. Japan, I wouldn't hold your breathe b/c the laws are so different over there, it gets rather complicated.

recording music off the radio and swapping it is nothing new.. it has been going on since the beginning of days.. it just used to be on cassette form and was harder to trade globally like it is now.

Either way, ITunes is a great thing.. and we all should embrace it
U2 was one of the first bands to throw their total support to ITunes by giving them the "exclusive" tracks from the Slane DVD and others.. we all know it's not really exclusive.. we have other ways of getting those songs onto CDs, MP3's whatever we want.. but it's the principle that U2 is aware of how important ITunes is to the future of this business to show their support. It immediately changed the industry's thoughts on what we could accomplish with it..

I would suspect that Vertigo WILL be on ITunes on the date it's who knows.. but I seriously doubt it will be up Friday when radio plays it..

it's Hard to say.. R.E.M. just did it with their new single, it brought a ton of attention to the song and record.. has been very successful already.. and now there is also an album sampler on ITunes as well.. which I did download b/c I had to hear it.

it would be cool if U2 did that (they did send out a sampler for ATYCLB to retail) so I would bet they will do the same here.. so I would watch ITunes.. I have been semi-regularly.. but I use it as my media player too.. b/c it rules.

later
grindstone

Re: Itunes

Grindstone said:
<<<it's a bit more complicated than just "having iTunes go global". Each country has its own politics of recording labels and contracts. Rumors have gone around that apple has negotiating with Canada and Japan for quite a while. I don't know what is involved, but whatever. Here's hoping for some new U2 on iTunes soon.>>

take it from someone who works in the music industry and we have tons of our label product on ITunes.. this post is correct..
they just recently launched the UK, German and French versions.. I am sure Australia is not far behind.. Japan, I wouldn't hold your breathe b/c the laws are so different over there, it gets rather complicated.

recording music off the radio and swapping it is nothing new.. it has been going on since the beginning of days.. it just used to be on cassette form and was harder to trade globally like it is now.

Either way, ITunes is a great thing.. and we all should embrace it
U2 was one of the first bands to throw their total support to ITunes by giving them the "exclusive" tracks from the Slane DVD and others.. we all know it's not really exclusive.. we have other ways of getting those songs onto CDs, MP3's whatever we want.. but it's the principle that U2 is aware of how important ITunes is to the future of this business to show their support. It immediately changed the industry's thoughts on what we could accomplish with it..

I would suspect that Vertigo WILL be on ITunes on the date it's who knows.. but I seriously doubt it will be up Friday when radio plays it..

it's Hard to say.. R.E.M. just did it with their new single, it brought a ton of attention to the song and record.. has been very successful already.. and now there is also an album sampler on ITunes as well.. which I did download b/c I had to hear it.

it would be cool if U2 did that (they did send out a sampler for ATYCLB to retail) so I would bet they will do the same here.. so I would watch ITunes.. I have been semi-regularly.. but I use it as my media player too.. b/c it rules.

later
grindstone

uhhhhhh....reading:huh:

tkramer said:
I personally don't need some radio dj talking on the front end and back end of the world's greatest band...and at half the quality.

So for the few weeks inbetween Vertigos radio release and the date it will be available to purchase you will only listen to the song as and when its played on the radio?

Back
Top Bottom