Vertigo on iTUNES Friday? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Vertigo on iTUNES Friday?

Vertigo will be on the radio waves this friday. Do you all think the band will make the song available on iTunes so as to counteract the many bootleg .mp3 versions of the song that will start poping up? I hope so. I want to be able to listen to a cd quality cut of the song and can't bear to wait until Nov.8 when the single is released! This week is gona be agonizing!!Let it be Friday NOW!!

Salim

Old 09-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
The Fly

HELLOO!! Does anyone know?

Old 09-19-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:58 PM
The last I recall of itunes and as familar as I am with it I think they take 35% cut of each single is that right? If you cut out the middle man making Cd's and shipping and all that junk why are the artist not getting a bigger percentage of the cut from labels off of Itune sales?

Market wise I am not sure how far itunes reaches , I know i can't access it I think over 55-60% of music sales are outside U.S?

Plus I wonder what it does to actual album sales as a whole. I guess if you a strong album full of singles it is more viable then if you just have one or two singles to market..

I suppose alot of things factor ito a decision to put it on Itunes and I'm not sure if any of the things I mention effect a band like U2.. who usually have a really good handle on the business end

the singles going to end up on p2p anyway so..

But to answer your question.. i don't think it's been mentioned other the Bono's quote about putting it up if the missing disk ended up on the net
Old 09-19-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by salim117
HELLOO!! Does anyone know?
try waiting a little longer than a half hour before you reply to your own thread.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal

try waiting a little longer than a half hour before you reply to your own thread.
I usually don't even reply to my own thread if nobody replies. I find it a bit too demanding.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
The Fly

Right Kate. Point is, the band knows U2 fans are going to buy the single (specially CD #2 and the dvd) regardless of wether or not they have an mp3 version of it already. So isn't it in their best interest to release it on the web and get a piece of the market that will othierwise be forced to look for an illegal version on some P2P!
Old 09-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
The Fly

Sorry if I ofended you guys by "violating" forum post etiquette!
Old 09-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:58 PM
I had heard a rumor that it would be on itunes on 9/27 but then again - just a rumor
Old 09-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:58 AM
We dont have itunes here. And we cant access the USA one as it comes up with an "you dont have a USA home address" error.

What thats got to do with it I dont know.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Who cares if it's on iTunes? Even if I could access iTunes, I'd still record it off an online radio stream. Easier and cheaper.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Axver, how do you do that, please?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:04 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Right Kate. Point is, the band knows U2 fans are going to buy the single (specially CD #2 and the dvd) regardless of wether or not they have an mp3 version of it already. So isn't it in their best interest to release it on the web and get a piece of the market that will othierwise be forced to look for an illegal version on some P2P!
I think the way they have packaged the single makes it less sense to be for I-Tunes.. I think that's smart they way they've put it together.. But to those who use I-Tunes it's consumer friendly in someways then going to a record store.. etc etc.. and there will be a group who won't neccesarily be interested in special CD they just want the music.. You can put buyers into a few categories..

are you looking to sell an album or a single.. and given that answer to what's the best option

I guess it comes down to figuring out the best possible option and going with that gamble ... i think there are really great opportunites for the music industry and artists with things like ipod etccc.. if they could only balance it out..

if it's as simple as putting it on itunes to get a piece of the profit then okay.... but you know U2 are about much more then that.. they've been good to date about factoring in the fan want factor..

Quote:
Who cares if it's on iTunes? Even if I could access iTunes, I'd still record it off an online radio stream. Easier and cheaper.
I think your with a majority.. although the argument for Itunes might be for those interested in sound quality as well.. maybe
Old 09-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey
I think that's smart they way they've put it together..
I think its highly opportunistic they way theyve put it together. And I dont mean that in a good way. It smacks a bit of trying to make the most amount of money.

/rant
Old 09-19-2004, 06:24 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Well, I for one would rather just spend .99cents than sit on my computer waiting for an online radio station to play Vertigo, then have to recorded with software I don't have.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #15
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Axver, how do you do that, please?
There are probably much better ways to do it than my method, but this is the way I know how to do it and it works well enough.

You will hopefully have Windows Movie Maker in the Accessories section of your Start Menu. That's where I came across it. Then you do the following;

File --> 'Record ...' --> and then just click the 'record' button.

In the 'Record ...' section, you might want to go to 'Change Device ...' and set it to either Mono Out or Wave Mix Out. Experiment before recording Vertigo to see which gives you the better results. I was recording with Wave Mix Out from an online stream and getting perfect results, but just now I was recording from a bootleg playing through WinAmp and Mono Out gave me a superior result.

Give it a whirl and see where you get to.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog