Vertigo on iTUNES Friday? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:42 PM
I'm actually a big fan of itunes - its very easy to use and since I have an ipod it just works well. I have not bought an actual CD in over a year - I think that since u2 already has a relationship with itunes (the band actually helped promote the launch of itunes) I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of new u2 - or their back catalog in the coming weeks
side note - REM released an album "sampler" that you could download for free - perhaps U2 will follow

I'll be downloading vertigo from itunes as soon as its released - the quality is excellent

But I think apple is shooting itself in the foot by not having Itunes go global - only 4 countries have itunes now

Old 09-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by salim117

Well, I for one would rather just spend .99cents than sit on my computer waiting for an online radio station to play Vertigo, then have to recorded with software I don't have.
Some radio stations have announced what time they'll play it, so that's easy. And I'm pretty sure anyone with a Windows (XP?) machine has Windows Movie Maker, which is what I use to record.

And ultimately, I don't want to pay 99 cents for a song I'll be buying on CD soon anyway. Plus, if I can get something online for free, I'll get it online for free. I'll have my cake and eat it too, thankyouverymuch.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
I think its highly opportunistic they way theyve put it together. And I dont mean that in a good way. It smacks a bit of trying to make the most amount of money.

your giving fans options, and things they might have asked for in the past. does that mean potential for a larger profit..sure.
also a bit of an extra expense with more options ..budget ..costs..meeting targets ..keeping record companies semi happy and paying the bills all that fun side of the music business..
Old 09-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 PM
all it will take is one out of thousands of U2 fans to record it off the radio, and host it, and then we'll all have it. simple as that.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:38 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Axver, Im thick with these kinds of things so please humour me. How do I point Windows Movie Maker to the web radio station? I have URLs of a couple of stations but where do I enter that in Windows Movie Maker?

And yes, I agree with Mikal. Someone else will record it and upload it.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 PM   #21
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Axver, Im thick with these kinds of things so please humour me. How do I point Windows Movie Maker to the web radio station? I have URLs of a couple of stations but where do I enter that in Windows Movie Maker?
Windows Movie Maker records whatever is coming out of your speakers or headphones. Just play the online radio stream as you normally would and then follow the steps with WMM.

(When you're recording Vertigo, just be careful you don't get all kinds of other noises coming through your speakers as well! I'm going to turn the sound off on everything else on my computer on the 24th ...)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-19-2004, 08:54 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nurse chrissi
apple is shooting itself in the foot by not having Itunes go global - only 4 countries have itunes now
it's a bit more complicated than just "having iTunes go global". Each country has its own politics of recording labels and contracts. Rumors have gone around that apple has negotiating with Canada and Japan for quite a while. I don't know what is involved, but whatever. Here's hoping for some new U2 on iTunes soon.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Got it. I had to set the line to "stereo mixer" and it works. Thanks

Owww, I have a new toy now.........
Old 09-19-2004, 09:10 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Rumours have been going around about Itunes in Australia for about 18 months but still nothing. We have crappy msn one though.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #25
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Got it. I had to set the line to "stereo mixer" and it works. Thanks

Owww, I have a new toy now.........
Awesome! I'm glad it works for you now. I'll probably be running tests with the feed I determine to use so that I know what to use to attain the best quality.

Have any Australian or Kiwi radio stations confirmed when they will be playing it?

(And in case anyone is wondering why I'm talking about recording it when I'm going to be on holiday, things turned into a mess in that department and I'm not going. Kind of relieved really.)

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-20-2004, 09:43 AM   #26
War Child

Easier and cheaper than I-tunes?

Not easier, and if you don't have .99 cents for a true quality recording from one of your favorite bands then I feel sorry for you. I personally don't need some radio dj talking on the front end and back end of the world's greatest band...and at half the quality.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:04 PM   #27
The Fly

Itunes

<<<it's a bit more complicated than just "having iTunes go global". Each country has its own politics of recording labels and contracts. Rumors have gone around that apple has negotiating with Canada and Japan for quite a while. I don't know what is involved, but whatever. Here's hoping for some new U2 on iTunes soon.>>

take it from someone who works in the music industry and we have tons of our label product on ITunes.. this post is correct..
they just recently launched the UK, German and French versions.. I am sure Australia is not far behind.. Japan, I wouldn't hold your breathe b/c the laws are so different over there, it gets rather complicated.

recording music off the radio and swapping it is nothing new.. it has been going on since the beginning of days.. it just used to be on cassette form and was harder to trade globally like it is now.

Either way, ITunes is a great thing.. and we all should embrace it
U2 was one of the first bands to throw their total support to ITunes by giving them the "exclusive" tracks from the Slane DVD and others.. we all know it's not really exclusive.. we have other ways of getting those songs onto CDs, MP3's whatever we want.. but it's the principle that U2 is aware of how important ITunes is to the future of this business to show their support. It immediately changed the industry's thoughts on what we could accomplish with it..

I would suspect that Vertigo WILL be on ITunes on the date it's who knows.. but I seriously doubt it will be up Friday when radio plays it..

it's Hard to say.. R.E.M. just did it with their new single, it brought a ton of attention to the song and record.. has been very successful already.. and now there is also an album sampler on ITunes as well.. which I did download b/c I had to hear it.

it would be cool if U2 did that (they did send out a sampler for ATYCLB to retail) so I would bet they will do the same here.. so I would watch ITunes.. I have been semi-regularly.. but I use it as my media player too.. b/c it rules.

later
grindstone
Old 09-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #28
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Re: Itunes

Quote:
Originally posted by Grindstone
<<<it's a bit more complicated than just "having iTunes go global". Each country has its own politics of recording labels and contracts. Rumors have gone around that apple has negotiating with Canada and Japan for quite a while. I don't know what is involved, but whatever. Here's hoping for some new U2 on iTunes soon.>>

take it from someone who works in the music industry and we have tons of our label product on ITunes.. this post is correct..
they just recently launched the UK, German and French versions.. I am sure Australia is not far behind.. Japan, I wouldn't hold your breathe b/c the laws are so different over there, it gets rather complicated.

recording music off the radio and swapping it is nothing new.. it has been going on since the beginning of days.. it just used to be on cassette form and was harder to trade globally like it is now.

Either way, ITunes is a great thing.. and we all should embrace it
U2 was one of the first bands to throw their total support to ITunes by giving them the "exclusive" tracks from the Slane DVD and others.. we all know it's not really exclusive.. we have other ways of getting those songs onto CDs, MP3's whatever we want.. but it's the principle that U2 is aware of how important ITunes is to the future of this business to show their support. It immediately changed the industry's thoughts on what we could accomplish with it..

I would suspect that Vertigo WILL be on ITunes on the date it's who knows.. but I seriously doubt it will be up Friday when radio plays it..

it's Hard to say.. R.E.M. just did it with their new single, it brought a ton of attention to the song and record.. has been very successful already.. and now there is also an album sampler on ITunes as well.. which I did download b/c I had to hear it.

it would be cool if U2 did that (they did send out a sampler for ATYCLB to retail) so I would bet they will do the same here.. so I would watch ITunes.. I have been semi-regularly.. but I use it as my media player too.. b/c it rules.

later
grindstone

uhhhhhh....reading
Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 08:42 PM
We're going to have an mp3 clip anyway
Old 09-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer
I personally don't need some radio dj talking on the front end and back end of the world's greatest band...and at half the quality.
So for the few weeks inbetween Vertigos radio release and the date it will be available to purchase you will only listen to the song as and when its played on the radio?