"Vertigo" Music Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuke126

War Child
I was listening to the radio just now and "In God's Country" was on. After the song, the DJ said that in the 80s U2 were jealous of Duran Duran because they spent a lot of money making big music videos and now U2 have finally made their own expensive video for "Vertigo" which cost $100,000s ("hundreds of thousands of dollars"). He also said the video will be released next month (October).

Nick Monroe is a "tool".....good gawd, he's horrible. He's the reason I stopped listening to that station.

KWOD, 98 Rock, and 93.7 will all be playing "Vertigo" on Friday. Pick your poison in Sacto!!

hundreds of thousands of dollars? that's refreshing -- generally vids go into the millions for top artists.

Ummm...

I don't think U2 would like to be a part of videos with really hot weather and getting urinated on (as some DD members unfortunately were).

TheWho4Life said:
That's a lot of money... if better be good. And if it isn't... oh well, it's still U2:D

The DJ is clearly speaking from his arse. Elevation & Beautiful Day were both very high-dollar, high-concept videos. So were the Pop videos for that matter.

I'm quite certain the Vertigo video would be a little higher in the budget range than the $100Kish range. The average video I work on far exceeds the $100K range.

If this is a forum about U2, why do we have the electoral vote on someones post?
Keep it in U2's lyrics and music and out of forum.

As for the DJ announcing the video I heard hear in my town that they are currently starting to edit and do the post work in Los Angeles.

Maybe the band will be there this weekend and do another Breakfast with U2 show.

Just a thought.

artdirector said:
If this is a forum about U2, why do we have the electoral vote on someones post?

As for the DJ announcing the video I heard hear in my town that they are currently starting to edit and do the post work in Los Angeles.

Maybe the band will be there this weekend and do another Breakfast with U2 show.

Just a thought.

Hmmm...I'll check into it, and see what I can find out. It would honestly be a little off the wall for them to come in for the editing, but anythings possible. BTW - I did the post for the Popmart ABC special in Vegas, the band never came in but Paul did a few times.

Question.....Does MTV play videos at all anymore? I have VH1, MTV, MTV2 and I don't see videos anymore. VH1 has the top 20 videos of the week which airs on saturday mornings....but other than that I don't catch any. I'm afraid I'll never see the Vertigo video:banghead:

artdirector said:

That is part of his signature file. It appears in every single one of his posts, not just in this thread or forum.

Odd that this complaint came up only when his signature file showed Kerry regaining the electoral college vote lead. I heard no complaints when Bush had the lead. :wink:

As for the video, $200K or more is definitely "cheap" by today's standards. And I'm sure U2 weren't the only band a bit envious of Duran Duran's videos in the 80's. But somehow I just can't see "New Years Day" being filmed on a yacht with scantily clad women all around. ;)

No FYM in here, please - it disgusts me :wink: .

Anyway - hundreds of thousands is low for a music video these days, I hope it isn't just them sweating it out in a dustbowl.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
No FYM in here, please - it disgusts me :wink: .

Anyway - hundreds of thousands is low for a music video these days, I hope it isn't just them sweating it out in a dustbowl.

Whats average for a music video now? I remember a few years ago there was a video that was the first to break a million dollars.

by the way, whats FYM? (Fancy Yogurt Mafia?):huh:

by the way, whats FYM? (Fancy Yogurt Mafia?):huh: [/B][/QUOTE]

Free Your Mind - just another forum in the dark twisty catacombs of interference.com...

The "average" really depends on the level of video (as with anything else). They can range from a few grand to upwards of million or so.

Based on the images from the video shoot. They're probably spending a hefty sum of money. It's being filmed on 35mm film, rather than the digital formats more commonly used these days. Film expense alone could easily be 50 or 60K. depending on quantity of footage.

It's hard to say really. Film can be shot at a 4:3 aspect ratio which is what your normal "square" television displays, or it can be shot in a number of widescreen formats.

They're shooting on an Arriflex 435 camera which has some great capabilities when it comes to shooting music videos as it offers a variety of framerates and is very compact.

They'll probably shoot in a widescreen/cinematic format and crop to a 4:3 for standard broadcast. The guys directing the video are quite creative so I'm sure it'll be an amazing looking video none the less.

Back
Top Bottom