Vertigo minus the bad Spanish intro?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
Would that song have been more respected as great rock n' roll if that mathematically challanged count off would have been erased from the mix? Forget the fact that it was an IPOD commercial for a moment. I don't think it was due to that, but rather that the broken Spanish stuck out like a sore thumb. Hence, it distracted the listener from Edge's awsome riff and made Bono sound like an uneducated hick tourist in Spain trying to speak the national language. I've actually heard Bono speak great Spanish at the Pop Mart gig in Mexico City. In fact I read somewhere that he is quadra-lingual.

Last edited:
when they played Twinckenham, he said that part in Gaelic... THAT was sublime

A HAON, DÓ, TRÍ, CEATHAIR DÉAG!!!

That count thing is a humor thing, and I think that it is good that they still got the humor. And that was also a brilliant thing to use the count in other laungaue in other countires. They got the humor things on AB, Numb video, Discotheque video and think about the movie "A day of the Edge" without humor, it wouldnt have got so many Oscar awards without the humor.

Av been aware of the "mistake" since day one and cant say it made one ounce of difference about how i feel toward the song

I think it being an iPod hook detracted from it far more than the counting...

Catorce has always been my favourite spanish number, I just like the way it sounds. Although initially I was like "Huh? What? That's FOURTEEN, Bono!", I quickly began appreciating his use of my favourite number :)

As others have said the intro never bothered me :shrug: After a while I just got sick of the song. I bought all the other albums and realised there was much better music out there.

Peterrrrr said:
That count thing is a humor thing, and I think that it is good that they still got the humor. And that was also a brilliant thing to use the count in other laungaue in other countires. They got the humor things on AB, Numb video, Discotheque video and think about the movie "A day of the Edge" without humor, it wouldnt have got so many Oscar awards without the humor.

I was not implying that U2 didn't or shouldn't have a sense of humor. At least in the 1980's/90's they were actually FUNNY.

Plus, you left out the Dalton Brothers, U2's alter ego during the Joshua Tree tour. Priceless comedy that was opening up for themselves on some of the gigs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom