Vertigo- mediocre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan42

The Fly
I've heard it twice. My first impression was 3/10, and my second impression was 6/10. It sounded more like a demo than a single. Maybe I just need to hear it a few more times.

U2fan42 said:
Maybe I just need to hear it a few more times.

:yes: And as loudly as possible. Report back in a couple of days.
(You did double your score after only two listens. The sky's the limit!)

i like it , short , nice and sweet , and at least it's something fast .
U2 are a happy band and that is awesome , there is energy , but still i hope they will turn into more complex work

To each his own, but man this is what I've been waiting for. I'm thrilled with it, and I hope/expect the new album will continue to smack me around as much as Vertigo has done in just a few short hours.

I don't know. Maybe it does take some more listening but so far I'm not yet hooked. Or maybe my bar for what is fast and heavy is a bit different from most others. Its faster and heavier then we're used to from U2 so far, which is good. So far I give it a 6/10.

Look lets face it, its a great song! I was worried firstly cos it was too immediate, but it is awesome and has a lot of different things in it. Kinda of got an influence from all stages of U2's career. The guitar sounds fu'kin awesome!

Oh yeah I forgot, listen to it on headphones blows yer head off!

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
This song definitely has one of my favourite U2 riffs.:)

Same! The Edge is definitely the master when it comes to simple riffs that are extremely catchy.

the start of the song is very popish.. last night on earth or do you feel loved, but as it goes on you get more of the achtung baby and all that you can't leave behind feel going to it, i really love the second half of the song

i love vertigo. but i find that with a lot of U2 songs the song sort of has to 'grow' on me first and takes a few times listening to really love it.

Three chords and the truth is what this song is about. It's a little 3 minute punk/pop/trippy/groovy thank you note to all those who have ventured into the heart or just outside the heart of the band.

The first time I heard it after the listen I said to myself "I'm not too impressed." Then I heard the second time and did a 180 and said this f--er is rockin. Then after that, it was over. I fell in love with the tune, its incredible, especially after I downloaded the valencia version. I think the majority of the public, u2 fans or not, are gonna eat this up. The people that will have a problem with it are the regular u2 haters and big u2 fans that are expecting another direction from the boys.

Axver said:

Much better quality sound than the one from Croatian radio.

Thanks! I don't have an mp3 of the song yet. I've only heard it off the local radio station so far.

U2fan42, I wasn't crazy about it the first few times I heard it too. But I downloaded the Valencia version and played it back to back a couple of times and now I'm addicted to it!!

I love the sound on the song. I guess that Steve Lillywhite was the right choice for the production.

Someone said that Vertigo sounded like a demo - this is definitely good for me, because it has a "live" feeling that makes it enjoyable listeing to, unlike some songs on ATYCLB

Listened to it many times

It is a U2 weekend all over the Philadelphia airwaves. I ahve had a chance to catch it many times already, can't say anything less than I love it. A reassuring vote of confidence is that my one year old twins have found new dance moves for this work of art or heart( which ever way you want to look at it).

the overall of the song isn't mediocre at all, again it has to do with spiritual things, it's a song like elevation, and musically it is one of the most "played" u2 songs i have ever heard! guitar, bass and drums just fly, it is different very than past songs

Back
Top Bottom