Vertigo jumps to #39!!! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 03:00 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Ok correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will... In 00/01, U2 won 7 Grammys. I know they were nominated for 8 in 01. But they won for Beautiful Day before the '01 grammys. Was this because they were number on on the charts. I don't think so.

ATYCLB was U2's effort to remain relevant. This is why so many feel it was not their best album. In my opinion, it's excellent marketing and staying in the mainstream as much as U2 want's too. They will only give in so much..
With the rotation of iPod commercial's - matter of fact - when I bought a magazine today, the young sales clerk said who's that?
and I started counting... she knew immediately.. and said "yeah I've seen that commercial.. that's them"? so there you have it.
May not know the face, but they know the music. The video is going to make a difference.
Even if it doesn't matter to me where they are in the countdown.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Grammys are crap... Like Oscars, they've lost their credibility a long time ago.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:27 PM   #48
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Thanksandy
EvolutionMonkey: I;m sorry but I can't tell whether you are just tryint o make a point that Americans have no taste in music or that you are just being a toalt d******d. What is the point in comingt oa forum to be pessimistic or negative about U2 and their new record and where it will chart, when the song hasn't even been released yet!

I could give a flying s*** where they chart, we all know the US is a place for Hip Hip, RnB, Pop and NuMetal/Punk Rock on the whole. Bands like U2, REM, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith for example will come back with albums and singles ever so often and will look to their album sales and tour sales as a sign of how well they have done. Do you really think U2 were that disappointed when ATYCLB went to No 1 in 32 countries, more than any of their pervious records? That is has sold nearly as much worldwide as AB if not more?

I know you are trying to be realistic but there is a way of saying it or going about it. I am fed up with the pessimistic and negative crap on here. They haven't even released the record yet and people in these forums are criticising the songs, the album itself, the title, how well single is doing, what si the rubbish.

What I am saying is WAIT until Vertigo is released, then WAIT until the Album is released and the following singles, see how the tour sells out and in a year's time, come back to this forum with all the stats for album and single sales and chart positions, tour profits and sales figures and then you can make a resoned argument.

At the moment you are just talking out of your a***.
I don't usually swear but since you have in your post then i'm gonna join your club. I don't give a flying f*** what you think Thanksandy, i DO CARE ABOUT WHERE THEY CHART (hell there's even a forum here at Interference for all things $$$ but i didn't start this thread) and so many others also care about charts so you can shove it if you don't care what I think or if it doesn't pass your 'negativity or pessemistic test' or should we call it your 'Thin Skin Test", this is a discussion board about U2 not a freakin CHEERLEADING SQUAD by people like you and so many others here who get pissed at ANY questioning of the band or songs. The funny thing is even U2 don't like all the songs and things they've done yet if someone voices they don't like a song or God forbid an album then they get tore down to pieces by people like you or said things like "YOUR TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS" . Let me repeat this for you Thanksandy, EVEN U2 DOESN'T LIKE EVERY SONG THEY HAVE DONE, SO WHY DO YOU AND OTHERS GET ALL PISSED OFF WHEN OTHER FANS QUESTION SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BAND ??? Please answer this one question because it's something i just don't understand especially lately with lots of newbies and people like you with a whopping 10 posts.

I didn't attack anybody in this thread i was questioning why so many Americans are obsessed with crap like Ashely Simpson who has 2 songs in the top 40 and yet U2 can barely crack it but people jump for joy when U2 get to #39. Why is this wrong to ask or question ??? Should i wait 2 years or how about 10 years what would make you feel better to ask this question or pass your negativty test ??? You do realize it's been on the radio for awhile now right ?, ok then why don't you tell me why Elevation and Walk On didn't crack the top 40 and if you think that's no big deal then that's great but i bet you that U2 DO CARE ABOUT CHART POSITION which is why they have representatives meeting with radio stations throughout the states. Let me repeat to everyone here, if U2 didn't care about charts they wouldn't have representatives meeting with radio station PD's and DJ's. Maybe in your fantasy land you think U2 doesn't care about charts but i bet at least Bono, Edge and Larry do. Now if you and whoever else DON'T CARE how they do on the charts then guess what GOOD FOR YOU, BUT SOME PEOPLE DO CARE SO STOP RIPPING ON THEM, some people do care about charts (..umm like U2) so you don't have to attack people for having a different view of the band or music then you.

So let me get this straight, everything that we say around here must pass the Thanksandy (and others) negativity and pessimism test because having a viewpoint or asking questions that don't fit your viewpoint or go against your blessed view of U2 are not worthy ? Are you the head of the U2 chearleading squad ?

The funny thing is some of you think i was attacking tkramer but i wasn't, i was attacking why so many Americans are obsessed with shxt music which seems to be even more than other countries, yet you guys turn around and attack me, what a joke. I think after 9-11 your thinking in your country has gone to shxt and if anybody outside of America says anything bad about your country (even music choices) then you guys get all pissed off. Once again enough of the CHEERLEADING of all things U2 around here.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:09 PM   #49
War Child

How did this thread get so screwy?

Everyone calm down and return to the topic.

This is a board of U2 fans. We pick apart everything this band does because that's what you come to interference to do. It's your right to nervously watch chart positions and your right to think it means nothing.

But don't insult each other. That's not what this board is about.
I've always felt if we ever met each other we'd all get along pretty well. Sometimes faceless words and emails make us a little bold when holding our toungues might have been the kind thing to do. So I'm going to ignore a few of the previous posts and get back to the topic. (The topic BTW, was how well this vertigo tune is doing. Believe it or not.)

And share a bottle of red and some sinatra.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #50
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack

Discotheque got to no.10 right? If there is a new wave of U2 hype and amazing word of mouth about the album, I wouldn't count out a U2 top 10 from this album!
I'm not sure if anyone has answered this on the thread because I haven't read it all (mainly because it became so vicious), but when Discotheque was on the charts, a song had to be released as a CD single to chart. It had already had considerable airplay before the CD was released.

I'm sure the Peeling ... Dollar Bills experts can provide some more knowledge than I can (if they haven't already).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 10:30 AM
tKramer--

that's quite a big change from JT selling 10 mill out of its 21 mill copies worldwide in the STates.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #52
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
tKramer--

that's quite a big change from JT selling 10 mill out of its 21 mill copies worldwide in the STates.
Certainly but diamond albums (10 million in USA) are rare and nearly impossible. There have only been a few of these and U2 was lucky to get one. I'd rather look at their popularity (from an album sales point) based on their entire catalog in north america. ATYCLB showed a 20 year old band selling 4 million copies. Thats better than half of their back catalog here. Pretty impressive if you ask me. If you are speaking from a % standpoint, I can't tell from your post, yes it was more fifty-fifty. But you can't expect the usa to sustain a fifty fifty for every album. The ten million figure quite literally means one in every twenty-five americans (at the time) bought it. That's crazy high.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:05 PM   #53
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'm not sure if anyone has answered this on the thread because I haven't read it all (mainly because it became so vicious), but when Discotheque was on the charts, a song had to be released as a CD single to chart. It had already had considerable airplay before the CD was released.

I'm sure the Peeling ... Dollar Bills experts can provide some more knowledge than I can (if they haven't already).

It entered the charts at 10. The charts these days are mostly determined by radio play. Digital downloads will change this soon though...
Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #54
The Fly

Local Time: 11:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EvolutionMonkey
[B]That's kind of sad actually when you realize the number in question is 39 and not something in the top 10. It just shows you how unpopular this song is since it came out, so i don't understand why you guys are so excited ? 39 is pretty pathetic. Here is a list of songs that are currently popular in the states:

Welcome to America people !

i think you've missed the point...charts don't work in the USA like other places...also the US market is HUGE....this is good news for U2