Vertigo is just the appetizer: This album is going to be deep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleblackeye

War Child
Vertigo is a great rock song, no doubt, but I have a feeling that it is deceiving in a sense that it gives off the impression to new fans (and maybe old) that this is a fun, balls out rock and roll record in the same mold as Jet (terrible band) or the Hives (pretty good band).....it is merely the teaser, the hook to reel everybody in

in my opinion, the songs that will follow are going to be impassioned, thoughtful, introspective pieces, but somehow retaining a universal appeal. bono has been deeply affected by the aids crisis around the world, the constant fear we all live under because of rampant terrorism, and, above all, the death of his father. this album reflect all of these emotions, experiences.

in short, this is not going to be the "joyous" sounding ATYCLB, or the experimental POP. i hope i am wrong, but i think this is probably their last statement.

i have strayed away from U2 in recent years, prefering other bands, but this will bring me back to where i belong.

(this is my first posting, and you probably think i am full of shit, but i just feel strongly that this is going to be their seminal album. yes, maybe i am wishing for it to be this way.)

uh oh, purpleblackeye only has one post.....Maybe it's Adam or Larry trying to pull an "the Edge"....

:wink:

haha..just kidding - I agree, this one will "go in another direction" from Vertigo...(as U2 has eluded)

I agree: Vertigo is the hook. It's going to draw some new people in, then the whole album is going to challenge them and get them thinking (rather typical for a U2 album).

I really do hope HTDAAB has a reflection of Bono's emotions from his life in the past four years....he has done amazing things to make this world a more beautiful place and he has been through alot in his personal life with life as well as death. I believe this album will go in a totally different direction than Vertigo (which is a great song)...but I think the rest of it will be a much more raw, sublime, emotional experience. I look forward to it. At the same time I hope it is NOT thier last statement, I feel they've got so much more they can do...of course I'd respect them if they felt this new album was meritous enough to end thier careers on--I just hope that's not the case!

Last edited:
I also think that HTDAAB will be a seminal album for U2.:wink:

It has been years in the making (Bono says jokingly that it's taken them 20 years to complete this album) and has gone through MANY TRANSFORMATIONS.

HTDAAB will have many magical musical moments in it and many marvelous mystical messages in it for us to ponder and to hold close in our hearts. :hug:

Hopefully we will simply accept the GIFT THAT U2 GIVES US. It is their unconditional Love for us - let us RETURN THAT UNCONDITIONAL LOVE TO THEM!

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

starsgoblue said:
At the same time I hope it is NOT thier last statement, I feel they've got so much more they can do...of course I'd respect them if they felt this new album was meritous enough to end thier careers on--I just hope that's not the case!

U2 themselves have said it won't be their last album. They have to make another one if they are going to release a Best Of 2000-2010 anyway. Nothing to worry about there, folks.

If U2 do not make three more albums after Hut Dab, I wil be very surprised.

This will probably be one of their deepest works, though. I hope it is.

purpleblackeye said:
Jet (terrible band) or the Hives (pretty good band).....

R u kidding me? Jet is awesome, they have the classic rock sound! energizing music, and the Hives are Horrible! i like 2 of there songs, everything else is stuff i could do in my sleep. thats just my opinion.

Re: Re: Vertigo is just the appetizer: This album is going to be deep

lew07 said:
purpleblackeye said:

R u kidding me? Jet is awesome, they have the classic rock sound! energizing music, and the Hives are Horrible! i like 2 of there songs, everything else is stuff i could do in my sleep. thats just my opinion.

Uurrrgghhh.... Jet are awful. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is an excellent, energetic, fun track, but it's a rip off. And the rest of their album is exactly that as well, a bad rip off of mostly AC/DC, but without the fun of Are You Gonna Be....

I can't help thinking back to Achtung Baby when The Fly hit the airwaves. It was a very new sound for the band just as Vertigo is (not many songs before where Bono was rapping, the tempo was as high, the bass was as tight and The Edge's guitar so vicious). Then when the album came out we found that the Fly was not representative of the overall album sound but that it contained a rich tapestry of songs (incl. of course One!) Hope thats what we've got here. I'm sure it is - one of the best things about U2 is that they produce albums you can listen to in one sitting without getting bored of hearing the same beats, chorus structures or even emotion on every song.

paulrg said:
I can't help thinking back to Achtung Baby when The Fly hit the airwaves. It was a very new sound for the band just as Vertigo is (not many songs before where Bono was rapping, the tempo was as high, the bass was as tight and The Edge's guitar so vicious). Then when the album came out we found that the Fly was not representative of the overall album sound but that it contained a rich tapestry of songs (incl. of course One!) Hope thats what we've got here. I'm sure it is - one of the best things about U2 is that they produce albums you can listen to in one sitting without getting bored of hearing the same beats, chorus structures or even emotion on every song.

I totally agree with you here. U2 always surprises me by the fact that I can still pop in any of their albums and be able to listen and enjoy the whole thing. There isn't one track that I will always skip and just wish wasn't there. Each song isn't as good alone, they all just go together. U2 is the only band I can do that with. :heart:

Re: Re: Vertigo is just the appetizer: This album is going to be deep

lew07 said:
purpleblackeye said:

The Hives are way more energizing than Jet.

Jamila said:
It has been years in the making (Bono says jokingly that it's taken them 20 years to complete this album) and has gone through MANY TRANSFORMATIONS.

Yes, I feel that this is the album they always wished they have made.
It's great to see this band, after almost thirty years, so enthusiastic, so passionate with their work! It makes me proud to be following their work since 1983. It’s been worth while.

I'm already in love with it.

:heart:

Axver said:

:D I think it's catching on...

This album is certainly not "their last statement" as purpleblackeye put it. As I've said before, there is no reason for U2 to pack it up anytime soon. Albums might get further apart than 4 years and there won't be as many tours, but I'm sure they'll keep rockin' til they drop.
I'm totally whipped into a tizzy about this album, but I'm also curious about future albums. I think the idea of not having to tour the album allows for some experimentation. Instead of a focus on how the song will sound in front of a live crowd, there'll be a focus on how it sounds through the head phones, you know, a move from the sublime to an intimate and personal level. Maybe that's a bit more of a challenge, really -to create something that gives 'the sense of God walking through the room' to an individual listener?

I'm totally rambling now and I'm procrastinating on the work I'm supposed to be doing. I just can't seem to tear myself away from this darn site...

Back
Top Bottom