Vertigo: Gimmick or Classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheDaddy said:
I think it's one of U2's best songs. In fact I prefer it to BD for some reason and I think it is certainly on par with The Fly.

:eyebrow:

martha said:
:madspit: to all of you guys. Vertigo is a great ass-kicking single and song. Sure, Native Son is way cool, but so is Vertigo.

I say it's good. :up:
Amen. great riff, great rhythm. well done live. and its still profound. find me many frontmen who can relate the scary state of the world with the temptation of Christ in the desert in a rock song that rocks like the clash. good luck

And i dont understand the problem with catchy singles. Ever heard of the beatles, the rolling stones, acdc? catchy geniuses.

I dunno. Sometimes I like Vertigo and sometimes I don't. I've heard a lot of non-U2 fans who says it annoys them. I'm just concerned because I know U2 always want to get new fans, but this song doesn't seems to be a good job of reeling them in. Instead it does a better job of annoying the heck out of them.

Last edited:
Tennis05 said:
And i dont understand the problem with catchy singles. Ever heard of the beatles, the rolling stones, acdc? catchy geniuses.

ACDC? How many hit singles have they had? 3? 4?

Great band, with great rock tunes, but not a singles band.

I wouldn't classify U2 as a singles band either.

Sounds gimmicky but the band clearly love this song - and I think it will become a classic eventually.

It's a classic....as is the whole album...in time more people will come to this conclusion I believe.

I also believe the quality of "Vertigo" and its fellow songs is one of the main reasons the latest Coldplay album was set back months....Chris and the boys likely realized they were facing a stronger application for "best band in the world."

Harry Vest said:
Beautiful Day is far superior to Vertigo.
No argument really.

I think Beautiful Day saved the day for U2 and extended/solidified their brilliance for eons to come.

I also think it was a natural springboard to Vertigo...the two are related and equally brilliant. The confidence displayed in Vertigo couldn't have come without the public's embrace of Beautiful Day.

Vertigo is already a classic
Extraordinary song!

Great rythym, great riff, great vocals, great lyrics, fabolous time for U2 to create something like this

Greatest band ever!

forgot to mention, my casual u2 friends and non u2 friends like the song too, even some people at work that normally dislike U2 said the tune is good!!

it's the only U2 song my friends will let me play at a party :shrug:
that being said, it must be gimmicky. but i still love it.

angelordevil said:

I think Beautiful Day saved the day for U2 and extended/solidified their brilliance for eons to come.

I also think it was a natural springboard to Vertigo...the two are related and equally brilliant. The confidence displayed in Vertigo couldn't have come without the public's embrace of Beautiful Day.

Wow, that's the most eloquent post I've read here. You give it legitimacy in a historical context.

Even on its own, I think it's one of their best songs. I wish the entire album was filled with songs like Vertigo and ABOY. I was bummed when I heard the rest of the album.

It's new territory for them: loud, crunchy guitars, and that bass sound had some much depth. That's a huge departure for Adam's sound.

And the "catorce" bit only adds to the Vertigo theme.

While not a serious, straightforward political song, it is definitely a classic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom