Vertigo: Gimmick or Classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vertigo is a total gimmick, but as long as U2 knew this when they released it then I'm ok with it. If they were to say "This is such an emotional, deep, dark rock song, a classic in the making..." then I'd have a big problem.

Trip Through Your Wires>>>>>Vertigo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Native Son

I'm tired of hearing about NS. It was terrible. Enough said. :huh:

namkcuR said:

Referring to your original response you had here, before you edited it, I disagree with your categorizations. But, to each his/her own.

As usual.

D'oh! said:
excellent song, falls short of 'classic' status though

Agreed.

The Spanish bits are kinda pointless though, yet it is a great listen and one of the reasons THE BOMB is one if U2's finest

Headache in a Suitcase said:
shoulda been a classic, but became gimmicky due to it's association with the iPod ad... i have no problem with them doing the ad, but it was an unfortunate side effect... made many people sick of it.

i enjoyed the ad, i love the song. however the abuse of the ad made people sick of it. people still said that it was a good song (non u2 fans) but that the ad made them grow tired of it. the ad was probably aired too much, but i enjoyed the ad.

its classic for me.

Classic, no question.

If they're still touring in 10-15 years time, it's a dead cert for the set list.

I think it stays in the setlist in future tours...it's certainly not BD - not that level of classic - but it will be around longer than Discotheque.

Discotheque's problem is that it doesn't translate well live at all.

Definetly a classic and for those that can't see this, well what do need to prove it? Maybe if it were played 3 times in a single show? :rockon:

Vertigo is great and I hope City... can follow.

Desire is about as catchy and short but still is considered a classic among fans.

I think Vertigo will be remembered because it was kind of revolutionary in a way, more people talked about iTunes and iPods after that ad came out.

The song itself is great, but not spectacular though, all IMO

roy said:
Vertigo is the perfect 'we are back' single, much like Beautiful Day.

Yeah, it's a good 'We are Back' single, but in my opinion Beautiful Day wasn't "gimmicky" in the way people are saying 'Vertigo' is...unfortunately, where i don't see it as gimmicky, I don't see it as being around for years and years to come in the same way 'One', 'With or Without You' and 'Beautiful Day' are destined to be. Come on 'Beautiful Day' is going to be around for the next CENTURY, it's that good a song!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
shoulda been a classic, but became gimmicky due to it's association with the iPod ad... i have no problem with them doing the ad, but it was an unfortunate side effect... made many people sick of it.

I don't agree. To me a truly classic song should be able to withstand enormous repetition and never feel old or stale. Vertigo got old fast. I could never hear the song again and live the rest of my life quite happily. So I vote gimmick -- actually I just vote not all that great of a song. :)

Vertigo live :drool: with the "stories for boys" bit in it. :drool: No, it's not a classic, but it's a fun song. If every U2 song was an "Acrobat" or "Streets", I'd get bored.

Zoocoustic said:
I think it stays in the setlist in future tours...it's certainly not BD - not that level of classic - but it will be around longer than Discotheque.

Discotheque's problem is that it doesn't translate well live at all.

Discotheque live sounds awesome, have u heard it from the PopMart Mexico show? :drool: :drool: :drool:

BOOMCHA! :rockon:

Definitely a classic. Definitely gimmicky and catchy, but that doesn't mean it isn't a classic. When I first heard it, I thought it would get old but it never has. I have to always tell myself that this site especially is way off of what the casual fan or general public feel.

Vertigo has been huge. Everyone knows it and it'll be one of those songs people will hear 10 years from now and say "that's U2!" Vertigo is one of those songs that has defined U2 to a new crowd of fans(high school age). How anyone could call Desire a classic and not Vertigo doesn't make sense in my book.

I guess its very possible for as song to be both a gimmick and a classic. It's not easy, but still possible.

2 needed Vertigo like they needed Desire and Discotheque they got the fans thye needed, you can't not like them and they draw you in.

Back
Top Bottom