Vertigo exposing U2 to the new generation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theflyshades04

The Fly
Alot of people at my school are really getting into Vertigo. It's nice hearing people who normally talk about Nelly, Eminem and Linkin park, talk about how cool of a song Veritgo is. the sad part. Alot of them think it's U2's first EVER single. I really think Vertigo will expand U2's popularity even more. It's being played on 3 different stations here in OK, and it's already on all 3 of the countdown's here. LEts hope this happens throughout the rest of the world.
Chris

Theflyshades04 said:
the sad part. Alot of them think it's U2's first EVER single. ]

Personally, I think that's absolutely great. It means they sound fresh and new, not like 40-year-old has-beens (don't get me wrong, I know they aren't, but it's easy for the younger crowd to get that impression without actually bothering to listen to the music).

Don't worry. If they like Vertigo, they'll probably soon discover the band's back catalog, and learn what we all already know: Vertigo is just another great song from one of the greatest bands ever.

Theflyshades04 said:
Alot of them think it's U2's first EVER single.

I know this is mean, but are teenagers getting stupider? Or maybe stupid is not the right word, I guess it is ignorance. When I was a teenager (early to mid 90's), we all knew who The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were. Didn't necessarily know all their songs, but at least had some idea!

Re: Re: Vertigo exposing U2 to the new generation.

bsp77 said:

I know this is mean, but are teenagers getting stupider?

I wouldnt say stupider, just less informed. The music that a 16yr old kid will say is hot today is either Eminem, Nelly, Maroon 5, or Linkin Park. and due to the fact that U2 has really been off the scene for about 2 years, it is kinda understandable for a brainwashed teenie bopper to not know about U2's back catalog. If u asked kids in highschool who sings Stairway To Heaven about only half would prolly know the correct answer. But if u ask who sings Just Lose It almost everyone would say Eminem. Pretty sad really.
Chris

Re: Re: Re: Vertigo exposing U2 to the new generation.

Theflyshades04 said:
bsp77 said:

I know this is mean, but are teenagers getting stupider?

I wouldnt say stupider, just less informed. The music that a 16yr old kid will say is hot today is either Eminem, Nelly, Maroon 5, or Linkin Park. and due to the fact that U2 has really been off the scene for about 2 years, it is kinda understandable for a brainwashed teenie bopper to not know about U2's back catalog. If u asked kids in highschool who sings Stairway To Heaven about only half would prolly know the correct answer. But if u ask who sings Just Lose It almost everyone would say Eminem. Pretty sad really.
Chris

True, we had grunge and gangsta rap when I was a teenager, but we were still aware of the older rock greats.

Hem, coming from a teenager (one whose parents tell her coming home is like walking into their dorm room, given the music that's playing) I have to say I know a lot of people who are into the "alternative" stuff (Muse, AFI... I can't pull up too many names - it's not my world) who think Vertigo is great, and I know they're not just saying it to make me shut up, since they never have before. (Besides, that's NOT the right why to get me to shut up...)

Of course, they know it's not U2's first, since they know me... And seeing as some of them are asking to borrow my Stones and Queen CDs to burn them, I like to think of myself as the classic rock educator of our little clique. :D

And has anyone ever noticed how similar the end of Dark Side of the Moon is to the end of Walk On? Just a thought - it's on the radio... :shrug:

You know what's sad? NO ONE at my school has ever said a word about U2 except my friend (who likes them) and another friend's boyfriend (who said they "suck monkey balls"). Most of the other girls there are obsessed with little bands like Switchfoot and Blindside. So you see the sort of environment I dwell in.

However, there is a Pink Floyd thing going on with alot of guys at school (there are oodles of them wearing Pink Floyd T-shirts).

saltwaterkiss26 said:
And has anyone ever noticed how similar the end of Dark Side of the Moon is to the end of Walk On? Just a thought - it's on the radio... :shrug:

When I first heard Walk On, that was the first thing I thought of!

That's no excuse for teenagers to not be familiar with U2's back cataloug.....my God when I was in high school I knew of the supposedly "old" songs and artists..... :tsk:

Hey, as long as they are finally getting thier heads out of thier asses! :wink:

goddamn ignorant wankers

they sure don't know what's good for them

U2 will definitely convince them now....trust me.

Hey, all of us had at one point or another NEVER heard of U2 until we heard a certain song, whatever it was. So as much as it is easy for us to look down on these people (I'm guilty of this as well) we should just say "Thats great" and share as much knowledge as possible, like people did for some of us.

I grew up with it I must say...second-generation fan here. Sorry if I feel smug.

But U2 has always been around in the spotlight, whether or not you've listened to them I'd be surprised if you hadn't heard at least one song and knew who they were at least

starsgoblue said:
That's no excuse for teenagers to not be familiar with U2's back cataloug.....my God when I was in high school I knew of the supposedly "old" songs and artists..... :tsk:

Ah, but you are a completely different generation from ours. :|

Most teenagers don't know who U2 are. That's a fact. If they do know who they are, they'll know songs like Beautiful Day and Sweetest thing. They'll also know that it's the "Bow-no" guy. That's about it. :shrug:

Souly said:

Most teenagers don't know who U2 are. That's a fact. If they do know who they are, they'll know songs like Beautiful Day and Sweetest thing. They'll also know that it's the "Bow-no" guy. That's about it. :shrug:
true, unfortunately :/
most like either:
1. emo/punk
2. classic bands like led zep

*most but not all :D

Jam Jar said:

true, unfortunately :/
most like either:
1. emo/punk
2. classic bands like led zep

Dude, we don't even get the fans that like classic bands here.

It's either rap shit, or Hilary Duff. :crack:

oMg wTf MaROoN5!!1!!1!1!1 :drool::drool::heart::heart::combust:

Sidenote: that hurt to type :crack:

You guys....

I will speak up for the teens. (God, I feel old too. I'm only 35!?!?)

I'm surprised they'd be able to remember anything at ALL. Thanks to Clear Channel, the Top 40 (and much of Alterna rock stations) lay nothing that came out before 1997. Maybe they'll go back to the Grunge era and play (gasp!) a Smashing Pumpkins number once in a while. Their idea of ancient history is Radiohead'ws "Creep." Then, as a lot of local record shops have closed down, they all go to Wal-Mart and buy records, esp in places like Oklahoma where Wal-Mart has squeezed aout ALL local buniness. And Wal-Mart does NOT stock ANY back catalog.

Compare this to when I was a teen. I'd have thought the Rolling Stones were a bunch of ancient 60s farts until I heard "Dancing in the Street" on my local Top 40 radio station. And MTV played it endlessly. Radio played evetything before it wads stratified. Then, I dscovered the Stones back ctalog, I went to my local Strawberries record store. And finds whole areas of the store devoted to back catalog.
Now Starawberries is closed. Tower records has filed for bankrupcy. I'm scared what will happen to out collectivmusic memeory if trends continue.

As I said in another thread, this is why I think the band have the awful album cover. They are confeident eonugh about this album that it will excite a whole new generation on to them, and teens are the kind who will sit and obsess over a simple image of the band for minutes on end.

Last edited:
Toady’s teens have an entire marketing campaign/niche directed at them - It would seem hard to gaze out of what the media deems teen friendly when it is all encompassing . I agree with the clear channel/merging record companies problem - if you do not venture out of that comfy zone you are not going to find much else than what is force fed to you. (if you like that - hey that is cool too)
When I was a teenage MTV only had one reality show (real world - real world 1 and 2 - best seasons - ever) and still played music video’s from alternative/grunge/and classic rock - yes I have become one of those “older people” who remembers when MTV still played music videos - sad really
That being said - download sites have brought some bands that may have never had airplay to the foreground - I think this is a good sign. Now if MTV would start playing music videos that did not include Brittany Spears making out with other girls - oh I’m sorry maybe there are some here who like that :)
I hope a new generation of fans gets into U2 because of Vertigo - the joy of discovering an amazing band’s back catalog would be freaking cool - kinda like I felt when I discovered the band that released Achtung Baby had other albums….:wink:

Last edited:
I think it's good that other people my age are starting to like U2.
But what I really hate is when it's some prep that's into things like Hilary Duff or Usher! :madspit:
And when people say Bono's name wrong...they better run.
U2 dreams up something different for each album and each one has brought a different group of people into our blue crack. :wink: And this time we're getting the high school mainstream rock lovers that don't have a clue about U2 and their past. But that's ok. We'll convert them. :wink:

And I know that Led Zeppelin sings Stairway to Heaven, thank you very much! :D
And she's buying a stairway to heaven...

Souly said:

I'm only 23...I was well educated bout proper music when I was in high school..... don't get it.

i think to many people music is background noise, something there thats meant to be taken for granted. thats how most of pop music is. love songs that have made there way into pop music were a novelty 30-40 years ago. nowadays the same things are being said, with added vugarity, but it practically the same message, and its so easy to get bored with this stuff.

i really got into music, u2, rock in general when i was in high school. when i realized how much more meaningful and provocative rock music was, thats when my curiosity peaked. i think it takes curiosity on a private level because peer pressure exists to the point that the music yu like is that influenced by friends. i find my favorite music almost exclusively on my own, minus the occassional suggestions on radio or others. but it still took some time to realize who's who in the rock world.

kids are raised from the start to ignore many of life's problems- almost a defense mechanism that necessary today. so many musicians in rock like to attack problems that these people leave behind because they were told since childhood to ignore. i know so many people that dont want to know the issues behind songs because they actually have to understand something they never knew about. its kinda like 'history book syndrome'- the majority of kids at some point dreaded history books cus they are so boring and irrevalent. i think that same sentiment rests in people who dont want to know what musicians (without catchy pop tunes) are thinking and singing.

i guess what im saying is that until kids get out on their own or get away from the in-crowd (if they ever do that), they wont realize the depth of what they are listening to. to me, its all about being in tune to yourself and not catering to the likes of the masses.

Last edited:
There were a lot of my friends turned on by Beautiful Day and Stuck who have become devoted fans. I myself was unaware of the band's existence (Though I somewhere in the back of my head knew most of the 80s catalog) until Staring at the Sun.

A lot of people know of U2 at my school its just a matter of if they like them or not

Basically my whole geography class knew who Bono was when my teacher was talking about him

Back
Top Bottom