Vertigo exposing U2 to the new generation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Souly said:

Dude, we don't even get the fans that like classic bands here.

It's either rap shit, or Hilary Duff. :crack:

oMg wTf MaROoN5!!1!!1!1!1 :drool::drool::heart::heart::combust:

Sidenote: that hurt to type :crack:

If I hear one more comment about Maroon 5, I think I will shoot someone. No-one should listen to that bullshit. Or listen to Hilary Duff. Or all that poser-punk made by artists who wouldn't have a bloody clue who The Ramones were.

Music today is totally stuffed and it is force-fed to a generation that is ignorant of musical quality. I'm lucky I grew up with two parents who played quality rock music all the time (U2, Queen, Dire Straits, and so on). My fellow teenagers are bloody morons when it comes to music and that's quite simply all there is to it.

I could rant for hours about this. Every musical discussion I overhear at school causes damage to my brain.

I think its a cool thing that high schools and younger kids are gonna start getting into u2 after VERTIGO, its like a new generation is gonna get on board. The younger generation were babies pratically when POP came out, so the ones that DO know about u2, most of them just think "Stuck in a moment" or ATYLCB stuff.

One young guy told me that u2 was a "soft pop" band. Damn, that got me so mad! When it's someone with musical knowledge then I can respect their opinions, but when it's complete ignorance! :mad:

But there's always a flip side, I just threw a house party at my new appartment and one of the younger guys from my work crashed and when everyone left and we wondering what to do at 5 in the morning, he said "That Slane DVD looks pretty fuckin cool, but I'd feel bad adding to your u2 obsession" (I own a few bootleg dvds....)

Also, last weekend my 19-yr old friend drove my car back from the club (I drank too much...ginger ale) and when he turned on the car "New Years Day" was playing, and he immediately said "Oh, u2! Their fuckin great!" Which of course, started me on a 15-minute drunken rant on why they are the greatest band. He probably hates them too now.

Last edited:
i think in europe it's different from the us. most of the european kids interested in music are quite aware of u2 (in fact, i think in europe u2 continues in the mainstream), as when i was in my teens during the 80's i was aware of the bands that marked the previous generations (from the doors to the sex pistols)

regarding the topic, yes i think that sonically vertigo is oriented to catch the ear of that big slice of market that the american kids are

Re: Re: Vertigo exposing U2 to the new generation.

bsp77 said:

When I was a teenager (early to mid 90's), we all knew who The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were. Didn't necessarily know all their songs, but at least had some idea!

I was a teenager in the 80's and we knew all about the 60's bands, and didn't write them off for being "old." I know kids now who think old songs they hear in new movies are new and you can't convince them otherwise :banghead: all I can do is make sure my kids know better.

Axver said:

If I hear one more comment about Maroon 5, I think I will shoot someone. No-one should listen to that bullshit. Or listen to Hilary Duff. Or all that poser-punk made by artists who wouldn't have a bloody clue who The Ramones were.

Music today is totally stuffed and it is force-fed to a generation that is ignorant of musical quality. I'm lucky I grew up with two parents who played quality rock music all the time (U2, Queen, Dire Straits, and so on). My fellow teenagers are bloody morons when it comes to music and that's quite simply all there is to it.

I could rant for hours about this. Every musical discussion I overhear at school causes damage to my brain.

:up:

Teenagers who say U2 suck monkey balls are just afraid to like something that is bright and ecstatic, rather than the typical high school favorites like Metallica, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. There are always depressed teens who have just discovered pot, and they all get Dark Side of the Moon and become really weird kids. Then there's the aggressive ones who like only music that is heavy, fast and distorted. Then there are those who get into rap.

U2 really has no place with high school kids.... and I think that's okay. Some kids see the light and like them, and that's good.

I'm 18 and all my friends that have good music taste really like U2, i'm into emo/punk (death cab for cutie, sunny day real estate) and classic rock (led zep, beatles, bowie) but U2 is definitely my favorite band. I'm surprised with how many people i meet at punk/emo shows with all the piercings are u2 fans also. The people that don't know who U2 probably don't know or care about music except for what's popular right now, but even they would recognize beautiful day probably. Hopefully Vertigo will get my age kids talking.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Vertigo exposing U2 to the new generation.

bsp77 said:

I know this is mean, but are teenagers getting stupider? Or maybe stupid is not the right word, I guess it is ignorance. When I was a teenager (early to mid 90's), we all knew who The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were. Didn't necessarily know all their songs, but at least had some idea!

Is there such a word as "stupider"?

Theflyshades04 said:
Alot of people at my school are really getting into Vertigo. It's nice hearing people who normally talk about Nelly, Eminem and Linkin park, talk about how cool of a song Veritgo is.

I really think Vertigo will expand U2's popularity even more. It's being played on 3 different stations here in OK, and it's already on all 3 of the countdown's here. LEts hope this happens throughout the rest of the world.
Chris

That's absolutely awesome man. :up: I'm very excited about this. I hope that this new album get a whole new generation! :hyper:

I can see this new Vertigo ITunes TV commercial definitely helping to capture the attention of youngsters in North America.

You guys should take this to the "Did U2 sell out w/Vertigo?" thread. Reading this I am almost tempted to edit my (rather long)post.

Edit specifically the 2nd half of it. I'm the one who's obsessed with a "new generation" of teen fans...

Last edited:
PowerSurge said:
Hey, all of us had at one point or another NEVER heard of U2 until we heard a certain song, whatever it was. So as much as it is easy for us to look down on these people (I'm guilty of this as well) we should just say "Thats great" and share as much knowledge as possible, like people did for some of us.

i totally agree.

i think that from a fan's point-of-view we tend to forget that nowadays there's no Beatles-like phenomenon, in other terms i think there's no band whose popularity is so big to cross the bounds of casual listeners' knowledge..even U2 aren't that big...but probably the world won't ever know anything like Beatles cause we live different times: there's nothing to rebel to that needs a soundtrack like back in the 60's...REBELLION IS PACKAGED (zootv tour ;) )

Last edited:
I fail to see how someone born in 1987 or later could possibly be unaware of U2. To me, they are the biggest band of my generation, and as I grew up, they were seen as "the group everyone knows and respects." There was never a case of "at one point or another, I had never heard a U2 song" because their songs were an important part of my musical memory and I was just one of many who grew up on U2. If you didn't know New Year's Day, Streets, With Or Without You, or One, you were completely musically ignorant.

At least, that's the way it was until I saw the first Britney Spears music video (1999, I think, when I was twelve). That changed everything, though it wasn't until last year that I actually met someone who had never heard of U2. It continues to appal me that teenagers now can't remember what music was made last year. I worry about how many in the future will actually remember the greatest bands.

Back
Top Bottom